Alaska State Ferry | Squat the Planet

Alaska State Ferry

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Me and my son are gearing up for a train hop to Seattle. Though I have a distant cousin who lives in Kenai Alaska who wants us to go up for a visit. They own a brewing company there. I was seriously thinking about getting on the Alaska State Ferry.

Would like to hear about anyones experience about the Ferry. They say you can pitch a tent on the deck?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've ridden it many times. You can pitch a tent on the deck. They also have a covered section outside with heat lamps on the ceiling, where you can sleep on lounge chairs. Still warmer yet, you can sleep inside on one of the benches/floor somewhere.

I haven't ridden it in several years, but used to be they only really search cars loading on to the ferry. If you were a foot passenger, you'd rarely get your bags looked at. Used to bring plenty of weed for the trip and never got hasseled as long as you were discreet about it.

Bring your own alcohol and food if possible. It's expensive on board.

Also, bring stuff to keep you entertained. Instrument, book, whatever. It can get boring after a couple days. They do (or used to anyways) show a movie here and there in the little theatre on board.

Hope you have super warm clothing, rain gear, and boots for this trip! Lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads