Advice from Vagabondog Owners

4t7

Reaction score
So I'm probably gonna be hitting the road REAL soon (maybe as early as next week) with my dog. She's an American Staffordshire Terrier (pit bull). I've looked over several threads in this section and now I have several questions/concerns [emoji17]

I saw some people say you MUST have papers on the dog before travelling. I don't have papers for my dog as she was a stray dog (suspected bait dog) from a 'hood' in FL. A turkey carcass after thanksgiving convinced her to stick around [emoji173] So anyways, how can I get papers for her if she was a stray?

Also how do I prove she is up to date on her vaccines when I administer them to her myself? I usually buy like a 7in1 shot from animal care/co-op store...

I saw it mentioned that some cities/states/areas don't allow pit bulls in and they can apparently be siezed from the owner and euthanized [emoji15]

WTF!?? [emoji35] Is this really true?

Also for all you travelling dog owners...do you carry any special gear/supplies for your dogs while on the road? Or just the regular stuff? And what about during winter...I should probably carry an extra blanket/sleeping bag for her, right?

Sorry for the over-abundance of questions. Any advice/tips/reccomendations/sage advice is highly welcomed and appreciated (from me and my dog)

[emoji41]

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
Yes some places have Pitt bull bans. I would research where those places are because in some places the police may shoot your dog on site and that would be horrible.

I have traveled with out a dog with registration papers I've always just told animal control they were stolen if asked. It's never been a big deal as long as your dog spears healthy and obedient.

Winter time I just got a sweater for my dog and he cuddled up with me. No need for extra sleeping bag.

Since you picked up a stray, you could still register the dog at the local animal shelter/humane society. They are just going to want proof of vaccines and want the dog to be fixed.

Also. This may not be what you wanna hear, but it is hard to take an animal on the road that wasn't raised as a traveling dog. It's a tough transition for a dog. Can it be done? Sure. Your dog may be a great house/yard dog, but may just suck as a traveler.

• Useful
Reactions: 4t7, Odin and Tude

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
In winter time, your dog will be more than your best friend, if you have enough space inside your sleeping bag for both of you it will be like sleeping hugging a radiator :)

Reactions: 4t7

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
It's definetly the training. The routine that a house dog is used to is way different than what a traveling dog is used to.

Life on the road can potentially make your dog over anxious and nervous etc. an over anxious dog tends to bark a lot more than you would want.

It can also be hard on their body. If there used to laying around the house all day and only walking, let's say, an hour a day, then it is going to be very hard for them to adapt to walking 10 or more miles a day.

Rubber tramping is different of course, I am talking about hitchhiking or riding trains.

Trains & dogs are a whole different thing and I seriously suggest leaving your house dog at home if you plan on hopping freight.

Reactions: 4t7

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
My advice is always put your dog first. You have chosen this lifestyle, she hasn't. My dog is my number one priority when it comes to most things. i make sure she has food before I think about myself. if I have to work, i can only do jobs that she can join me on. If I'm invited somewhere I can only go if I can take my dog. There is a lot of stuff you just can't do with a dog in tow and you have to be ok with that.

My dog loves travelling, but I have to be totally selfless in the pursuit of my furry companions happiness. If it's not going to be cool with her then it's not happening.

It's good if you have a dog with loads of energy. Mine can walk all day long. You also need to factor in fun time for your dog too. If she's spent all day following you around doing as she's told she deserves to have fun doing something she enjoys like playing fetch or swimming.

It's also important that your dog is pretty chilled out with many different situations. If you can before you leave get her used to the kind of things you might encounter on the road. long days walking, cars, trains, busy roads sleeping outside or in tents. All this stuff is a lot easier to handle in a controlled environment as opposed to finding out your dog hates doing something on your first day travelling.

I have a staffordshire bull terrier and although she is legal here in the UK I am aware that people are prejudiced against her breed because they are believed by some to be aggressive dogs (Like any dog breed, only if you train it to be aggressive!). if you have a dog that could be affected by breed specific legislation then you need to find out where you can and can't take your dog.

Here's a link to state by state rules on what's legal and what's not. http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-state-by-state.php

• Useful
Reactions: 4t7 and Odin
D

Deleted member 2626

Selfless is putting it lightly when traveling by any means with a dog. There is no way to explain selflessness you have it or don't.this has been said so many times and numerous already on this thread. I don't travel full time but don't maintain a house existence and my dog was raised tramping and hitching and crossing the country. A house dog that barks at a car or a person walking by a window and doesn't stop when you say no, or a dog that has no mind for being off a lease even for a second. Or is scared of horns or loud noises. Stay the fuck inside

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads