Advice for traveling with a larger instrument? | Squat the Planet

Advice for traveling with a larger instrument?

NatashaVelvet

Artist//Harpist//Dharma Bum
Reaction score
Website
natasha-velvet.tumblr.com
Have any advice for traveling with a larger instrument?
I play the harp, it's a half sized harp so it's only 26 strings and I can carry it easily on my back and it's great for busking but it's not nothing, it gets heavy and It's also hella expensive so I'm worried about breaking/getting it stolen. I think it might make me too paranoid bringing it but if anyone has traveled with a larger/pricier instrument let me know what that was like for you and if it was worth it.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
def a rubbertramp proposition, BUT.....

go to a thrift store & look at a good used pull-along golf caddy..
ONE WITH METAL WHEELS!!!
sorry about the yell, but that's the main thing that will prevent it from becoming just another piece of shit to eject, somewhere along the road..
so.. metal wheels...

i use these things in the field to cart equipment doing construction surveying... a good one will be *all metal* (check the wheel bearing area. avoid any kind of plastic, at all).

you'll have to be creative with padding, but i know the instrument you're talking about, so if you're traveling mostly on pavement, it would be a good deal, though it adds room (even though it folds) that any ride would need to pack.. i don't know what kind of case you have, but maybe you could drop wheels onto it, somehow.

i'd suspect part of the issue in carrying is load distribution..
something like that on your back probably pulls you backwards, so you might want to look at straps running over your shoulders & attaching to your hips/waist-strap/belt in front, and somewhat to the side, for better vertical positioning.
post a pic of the case & how you ordinarily carry it.
i suspect designing something better than strapping wouldn't be too difficult.

C

Reactions: NatashaVelvet

NatashaVelvet

Reaction score
Website
Get a lap harp. Smaller. Made of wood, not as heavy. You can find them cheap in music shops...
Yeah I've been looking at some on Ebay, they're pretty cheap I'm probably going to do it! Kind of sucks I won't have as many strings to play with but it will make traveling much easier

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
do you have a case for it?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
can you get the same sound out of a smaller harp?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey, are you traveling with your band? are you coming to the StP Jamboree? we could use more music out there...

NatashaVelvet

Reaction score
Website
It' isn't my band just my best buds who asked me to play on their album, I was hoping to meet some fellow musicians at the jamboree who might want to start something with me! If they come we would definitely play tunes all the time and I'd actually be able to bring my harp since they have a van hmm...

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Heh, well go try to convince them, cause if we could make it official I'll announce it on the stp Jamboree thread :-D

NatashaVelvet

Reaction score
Website
That would be sick! We went screen printing today and talked about it, they have to see how tour goes but closer to the end of tour (early September) they'll know for sure
Heh, well go try to convince them, cause if we could make it official I'll announce it on the stp Jamboree thread :-D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, keep in mind the jambo is oct 1st to the 4th!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads