Actual durable headphones? | Squat the Planet

Actual durable headphones?

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Title says it all, and I'm sure many of you know what I'm asking... Being that a lot of us travel a bit more roughly than others, headphones tend to break pretty easily. Whether that's by the wires being pulled out of connections, or the speakers blowing up/getting water damaged,etc. I'm curious what you guys travel with?

Some day to just buy cheapo types and buy new ones when needed. Some say spend a lot and keep the same ones for much longer... Both have their Pros and cons.

Right now I have the xiaomi hybrids, I believe they're called. Decent enough, and have survived 4 months of Travel, but are starting to show some wear. For $30... They've done alright.

So yea, what do you guys use? What is your way?

Reactions: Mankini

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
It depends on how you balance durability and quality. There are fairly inexpensive metal frame headphones, but you're sacrificing a lot of quality at the price point. Sennheiser HD598s are great and pretty durable (ABS plastic) at their price point. Headphones that fold up are another option, but metal frame folding headphones are going to be a bit more expensive.

Anyhow, with a little ingenuity you can get pretty much any headphones for free.

Reactions: Mankini

MarsOrScars

Reaction score
Website
knotcraft.net
As far as trekking, hiking and work - my $8 skull candy ear buds from walmart have been exceptional. I've even put them through the wash a few times accidentally and still not a single problem.

I say if your planning on hoofing it rough and light, cheap and practically disposable ear buds are going to be the way to go. If you're concerned about the cord getting caught, tuck it under your shirt. I think the bluetooth kind are coming down in price though but that just all depends if you want to have yet another battery powered device to remember to charge up.

I will say that when I do glamp or car camp, I wear my ATH-M50x headphones, I believe there's a photo of me wearing them somewhere around here...

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
yeah - I have a few sets of earbuds in "training" from $10 - $20. I live in them and use them daily and unfortunately with so much use --- well, comes the demise of them. Either from being yanked out of my ears one too many times or, dam it, an 8 second cat chew. So rather than have the 2nd ear bud hanging in back pack with one ear not working (not fun), I just buy two at a time. I don't buy anything anymore that is more than $20 a piece just cause of the hardships they go through from bus/bacpack and of course the darn cats. Used to do headphones but I didn't like traveling with them.

Noidinvoid

Reaction score
I would say it's pretty dependent on your situation and what you consume. Which is more important, quality of sound with the anxieties of having to go without and replace or quality of content with the constant ability to enjoy and them being cheap enough to own an extra pair?

These kickass for the price point, but are uncomfortable walking in heat, like any other on/over ear headphone. If I'm dealing with heat sweat/rain, I use just the standard cheap pair of Phillips sport clip headphones that you could pick up at any big retailer. They're pretty durable and if they do break, they're ~$10 so you're not set back too much. When it comes to wire snags, I'd always just recommend running the wire into your shirt.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i generally buy what's on the wirecutter.com review site for cheap ear buds:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-40/

and i haven't regretted any of my purchases over the years. right now i'm actually rocking the runner up to their #1 pick, since it has volume controls, which is an essential feature for me.

in general though, if you want headphones that will last a long time through your travels, i suggest getting something designed for sports or working out. these are more durable and designed to prevent sweat/water from damaging them.

D

Deleted member 20

This is my two part suggestion, 1 is having ruggedly durable headphones and another option is too keep swapping out a cheap pair that has a warranty. I would look for cheap earbuds with an easy, no questions asked return policy from a large chain store (five below/cvs). I think that the quality of most $5 earbuds are purposefully cheap and inferior enough that you can buy them today and sometimes they will be broke tomorrow.

The manufactuer and retailer are making hefty profits by selling in volume, so much so that there must be some sort of ratio of earbud sales that are known to be faulty direct from the store. I know five below has a good policy on earbuds with lifetime warranty. Im unsure about the fine print, needing a reciept, normal wear and tear etc but i think its as easy as walking in and saying these broke.

For all of who ride trains might i suggest industrial hearing protection ear muffs with built in speakers. I had posted domething a bunch of years back but since ive never owned a scanner there wasnt a need. I know of nascar fans who use them to listen to use a scanner.

My stupid amdroid wont paste a link. They sell them at basspro shops and most likely elsewhere like grainger. search google industrial hearing protection headphones. They are half the price of beats by dre but try to find some with a heavy duty jack maybe Howard Leighton. The headphone wires are replacable but its usually the jack in the headphones that goes especially after you get a heavy duty replacement wire.

Last edited:

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Agree with "MarsOrScars".... I've had my $20.00 Wal-Mart Skull Candy ear buds for 2 years now. Have dropped em in water a few times as well. Still work perfectly fine. And to me, they seem louder than most buds in this price range.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Forgot about this thread.

So now I have the Mee M6 Pro's. They're an "IEM" (in ear monitor i believe). For me this means outside sound isolation, comfort when sleeping, and they stay IN my ear rather than getting hooked on things and pulled out. The major selling points were the price (I got em $39 CAD on amazon with free shipping), and the lifetime warranty. The warranty says you can even lose them, then all you gotta do is tell them and they'll give you half off a new pair... I think it's not a bad deal. The actual earbuds themselves can detach from the cable, so if one breaks you can just replace that one. I like this because it's usually one side dying first, not both.

Additionally, they come with a case with an extra cable! So i'm thinking I can just keep my eyes open for jus the earbuds, and then i'll have two sets of these headphones :)

So far they sound great, and besides being a little awkward to get in your ears at first, they're some of the best all-round headphones i've owned in a while.

Reactions: DrewSTNY
Reaction score
Website
www.DevonGrey.com
MDR-NC50 Sony

Noise Canceling with a AAA battery

Removable / Replaceable 3.5mm cable

Speakers rotate so the headphones become flat, easier to pack.

Found a pair at a Goodwill for 5 bucks about 4 years ago, all the flimsy plastic coating on the padding has fallen off, but they are still going strong!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I dunno how attractive an option this is...but if your going with cheap ones from like a gas station or whatever and don't want the hassle of having them snag on right away... you can reinforce the whole length with electrical tape.

it makes it a bit more durable but they kinda look like crap... still works for a 8$ pair.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I get mine at the dollar store and they last a couple weeks to a month or so. they last a day if they break getting jumbled around in your bag.

I usually try for the headphones vs. the earbud kind. I don't like shit in my ear. overall I like the big poofy noise cancelling kind.

castler

Reaction score
I normally sport the $10 sony & absolutely LOVE them, great sound and reputable for its brand. I just broke them 2 days ago after having them 1 month I accidently left them wrapped on my handle bar of my bike when I got off, and then rode off a little later and didn't realize they were on it so they dropped a bit and got wrapped around my front tire and broke the right earpiece that don't have the mic on it. Now it don't recognize on the smartphone at all. Got some other headphones I'm eyeing. But would rather get the over ear/around ear rather than the in ear. I detest earbuds.

I may get these and see how they fare.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads