About Myself, I Guess | Squat the Planet

About Myself, I Guess

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first day (or night, I suppose) on StP, so I figured I'd make a name for myself so you guys know who I am when I come asking for your help. ;)

My name is Thomas Walker (as the username suggests), I'm from Indiana, aged late teens, interested in hopping freight trains. I've never actually been on a freight train, but I've explored a nearby yard and found a good place to catch out on southbound CSX manifests in my hometown (except that it runs right through a passenger station a mile or so down the track). I've not met any hoppers yet, but that would be really cool and I could learn a lot from them.

As I'm sure many of you will be screaming at me, either now or later: Yes, I know hopping trains is dangerous. Yes, I know its illegal. Yes, I know people get killed doing it. Here's why its what I want to do:

A big part of it is just to get away from my past and to confront who I am head-on. I have a general clue by this point that I'm not normal. There's something wrong with me, and I need to figure out how to fix it, away from most people before someone gets hurt. I also know that I'm a social person, but only in small and far between doses. I thrive with only a few friends that I hardly see, making the solitude of train riding preferable. Its also quite hard to find someone who is constantly moving, so it works to hide from people who are looking for me (especially since no one I know even knows I know what an intermodal train is), i.e. family, friends, etc. Home to me is not a place, but a concept. I've moved into my "home" too much, and I want to be on my toes, ready for adventure, unsure of where I'm headed but knowing I'll eventually get there.

That said, I'm not going to catch out until I'm certain I know what I'm doing; this is not a spur of the moment decision that I'll change my mind about 50 miles from home. This is a lifestyle choice, a bridge I'm not jumping off until I know the bungee cord is secure and the net below is intact. At best, I might be on the rails in a year or two, so don't worry about me becoming another tragic teen statistic.

With that out of the way, I'm open to all questions, and while I can't guarantee I'll answer them, I will if I feel comfortable doing so. I'll let this sit here a few days and browse the other topics and pages before I start to annoy you all with questions. :)

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
Also, if any of you train hoppers happen to be traveling through Indiana and want to meet, I'd be happy to entertain. Because I live with (somewhat) strict parents, I prefer to meet at night (Can't catch me if they're asleep). PM me if interested to work out details.

mrvegan

Reaction score
You seem like a fairly intelligent (if troubled and young) dude. I have no experience train hopping but I know plenty of people on here do, and I genuinely wish you well and hope you find what you're looking for. Namaste fellow brother. :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
cool man, welcome to the site, remember to use the search, and check out the train hopping section for all the knowledge you'll need.

Reactions: mrvegan

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that some people on here you could talk to about anything from personal issues to the train hopping pros. You seem very intelligent, even if you do consider yourself 'a problem'. Nobody is ever really a problem (unless you a pedo or murderer) and you just gotta find where you belong. The world is a big place yo

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads