A Public Apology to bums, tramps, and travellers | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

A Public Apology to bums, tramps, and travellers

D

Deleted member 22934

For sure. Its hard to get mad at someone for doing their job. They gotta eat too.

On a totally different note. If you've ever collected cans to redeam the bottle tax, then you'll completely understand what Im about to say. They're job is to keep people out of the trash. Your job is to get the cans. Neither one of you is doing your job sufficiently unless your both in constant conflict with each other. Its just the nature of the beast. If I had a dollar for every time somebody ran me off the property. You wouldnt even believe it. All that means is everyone is doing their job. Its not personal, its a necessary coflict. When your broke and living out of a backpack, you wont give half a damn what the company policy is. Your gonna get those cans if you have to have to jump fences, hide in dumpsters and run like hell.

Getting in and out without being seen is the golden ticket tho. Its a victimless crime. I dont promote breaking the laws in any way, however... Reclaiming cans out of the trash is completely victimless. They were fixing to throw them away... So why shouldnt you be able to dig them out and cash them in... Im all about it, and I dont care what anybody says.

On a side note. NEVER tell ANYONE about your sweet spot...
There was a certain Hotel that Id hit every Saturday and Sunday morning about 10am. Id come from the back side, jump the fence and pull anywhere from $10-25 each saturday and each sunday. It was like the single best producing spot in town for cans and bottles. I was always super careful and I never got caught... Anyways, I hot this spot routinely for months and never had a problem. I told someone about it because they were only supposed to be in town for the weekend and was on their way out of state. Ya know, in case they needed to make a few bucks for the road. The next time I went to hit that spot, every window facing that direction had open curtains. And like 3 weeks later they put up a whole new fence that blocked that whole side of the property... So you'd have to jump 2 fences now. But after that, everytime I went there, there was people standing inside the building watching and all the blinds and curtains were open. The spot was blown. I dont know what that guy did, but after that, they were on me like stink on shit. I should have known better. Never tell anyone about your sweet spot.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
"Some guy whos by himself and not bothering anybody, trying to redeem some cans and bottles for the bottle and can tax... Whats the problem?" - - - "Theres 3 types of people, okay" - - - "And 3 is the jackass who runs you off, because its "company policy". Its the 3rd that never made sense to me." - - - "I never made a mess, and id always be discrete and polite."

- I can answer this one :) ... It's almost never just the 1 guy... & while you might not make a mess, chuck there just leaves the rest of the garbage strewn across the lot... & "not bothering anyone" ? How do you assume you're not? LOADS of assholes are infact BOTHERED by looking at people digging in trashes - that's literally WHY it's company policies! Because it DOES bother people. Both by witnessing the actions & by the mess frequently left behind for some other schmuck to have to attend to... Not to mention the 8 different "just 1 guy, not bothering anyone" that are all hitting the same trashes.

"I never made a mess, and id always be discrete & polite" - - - "I never gave a fuck. Id do it anyways." ((EXACTLY!)) They'd come out chasing me, "we told you 6 times already this week! And its only Tuesday" ((just 1 guy not bothering anyone))

NO part of That section is either discrete OR polite! Fuck You, your policy, your need to make your living, your property, your priorities - I'm just going to do what I want anyway.... Boundaries, dude. Boundaries. THIS is exactly WHY those policies are in place! The attitude of "fuck you, i can do what i want" is the exact problem that BOTHERS employees (who have to face it, from humbums who're often capable of being violent), it BOTHERS property/business owners (who are legally & financially on the hook for any damage to property or people &/or loss of income - frightening customers away), & it often BOTHERS customers/pedestrians as well. - Because they're scared!!

- - - - - - - - -
Should you be able to dig through trashes & pick out recyclables to get money for a burger? Fuckn' totally right!! You should definitely be able to do that!!
... BUT - there's ways to do it!! & Places that don't involve "fuck you - i can do it anyway!" ... It's just like the site here... Lol, there are a million ways to get along here! & they're NOT That Hard! But, "fuck you, I'm going to do it anyway... " Doesn't go over well - & it goes over less well @ the gas station that's calling cops on ya.... & 6 times this week by Tues? Man, ur just being an ass on purpose then! Not discrete or polite... & exactly Why the actually polite guy gets run off... It feeds the problem of social disconnection vs building a sustainable bridge.... It's like blowing up a yard or a squat - RUDE ruins it for everyone!

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - just an idea for your conscience...
I've never worked @ a hotel, but I've done security, worked fast food joints, & clerked at gas stations... All of these jobs required i "inspect the grounds" aka, make a periodic sweep of the establishment & put out of place things back in place... If your job has a similar assignment my suggestion is easy, if not, it can/could still be incorporated before shift, on lunch, &/or breaks, & after shift.
The Suggestion: pick a spot (just off property if your boss is a real jackass, or just out of the way/visuals if they're more lax) - - & "on your rounds" grab the snipes, or the half a bagel or whatever ... "Sweep up" whatever the divers are commonly diving for & deposit them @ "the spot" You select. (If its off property the boss cant reasonably say shit to you, really, if they're an ass, as noted... If they're cool, you can say hey, i curtailed the problem by putting the things here so the bums aren't roaming & upsetting the guests... Aka, you can become a solution :) )

Drop a subtle word to the scavengers you see "hey, we dump the ash trays, but there's snipes in the coffee can over by the tree... Boss says can't be (whatever) but i know how it is, so i put em there for ya, so nobody gets in shit. Thanks, have a great day!" etc.

There's all sorts of opportunity for a little private social-justiceism in work places, especially ones like hotels. :) ... If you choose to take Your time to do them :)

Hope the idea helps.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - just an idea for your conscience...
I've never worked @ a hotel, but I've done security, worked fast food joints, & clerked at gas stations... All of these jobs required i "inspect the grounds" aka, make a periodic sweep of the establishment & put out of place things back in place... If your job has a similar assignment my suggestion is easy, if not, it can/could still be incorporated before shift, on lunch, &/or breaks, & after shift.
The Suggestion: pick a spot (just off property if your boss is a real jackass, or just out of the way/visuals if they're more lax) - - & "on your rounds" grab the snipes, or the half a bagel or whatever ... "Sweep up" whatever the divers are commonly diving for & deposit them @ "the spot" You select. (If its off property the boss cant reasonably say shit to you, really, if they're an ass, as noted... If they're cool, you can say hey, i curtailed the problem by putting the things here so the bums aren't roaming & upsetting the guests... Aka, you can become a solution :) )

Drop a subtle word to the scavengers you see "hey, we dump the ash trays, but there's snipes in the coffee can over by the tree... Boss says can't be (whatever) but i know how it is, so i put em there for ya, so nobody gets in shit. Thanks, have a great day!" etc.

There's all sorts of opportunity for a little private social-justiceism in work places, especially ones like hotels. :) ... If you choose to take Your time to do them :)

Hope the idea helps.

Thanks. Yeah I'm not required to do that, it's another department, it doesn't get done anyway, I guess that's why we're prime sniping and diving material lol.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I'm not required to do that, it's another department, it doesn't get done anyway, I guess that's why we're prime sniping and diving material lol.

:)
(no human scavengers at my gas station....) i wasn't "required" to feed the too old to sell hot dogs to the local crows... But i did it anyway :) ... & funny enough, critters stopped digging in the dumpster... :)
... & knowing i feed wild scavengers (who, like humans, are going to do it anyway) one of my co-workers also took up the idea & would either feed the animals too, or set the old ones aside for me to feed on my shift. Wasn't their job either, but, the idea caught on. :)

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I use my iNaturalist app to identify species; when I'm bored at work I identify the house sparrows, the pigeons, the different Large White Headed Gulls...

Ztormbringer

Reaction score
Website
ztormbringer
You're never ever going to convince me that calling the cops on people is more moral than lying to your boss. And the way it reads when you talk about it, it seems like you're proud of your ability to call the cops and get people arrested for sniping and digging through your dumpster.

If calling the cops was a regular part of my job, I'd be looking for another job. I had to call the cops on a guy once way back when I was a fast food manager, and I still feel guilty about it.
I don't think he sounds proud of calling the cops, just saying if somebody is a dick about stuff or wants to hassle, he WILL call the cops. Fwiw I would too.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
You're willing to subject somebody to state violence for being a dick?

No. And I HATE having to call the cops... but sometimes I have to.
If you refuse to leave, it is private property... I have to call the cops.

Had an individual come in to my hotel recently, when they couldn't provide payment for a room they refused to leave. They sat down, starting chugging a bottle of liquor, and smoking in the lobby and blowing it IN LITTLE KID'S FACES I kid you not. Yeah, had to call the cops.
Or had a guy flash my coworker and start jabbering about having sex with dogs.... yeah, had to call the cops.

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
I was referring to the person who posted above me, but I think we have different ideas of had to.

• Agree
Reactions: salxtina

BardoBard

Reaction score
Its depressing to see someone's life falling apart to the point that they're half nude passing out drunk in the lobby, but I'm not a social worker, this isnt a charity. Kick rocks.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Its depressing to see someone's life falling apart to the point that they're half nude passing out drunk in the lobby, but I'm not a social worker, this isnt a charity. Kick rocks.

Right-o. I don't bother snipers and divers, and if you can be discreet when you slip in the breakfast room you won't be bothered. but like other hotels, we do occasionally get the crazy screaming incoherent combative vagrants and they gotta go.

BardoBard

Reaction score
Yeah there's a lot of wiggle room, dont care if someone asks a couple of people for change outside as long as they dont loiter for more than a few minutes, dumpster dive all you want if you dont make a mess, have a party in there for all I care.

Reactions: BusGypsy

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Yeah there's a lot of wiggle room, dont care if someone asks a couple of people for change outside as long as they dont loiter for more than a few minutes, dumpster dive all you want if you dont make a mess, have a party in there for all I care.

discretion is yet the better part of valor. Keep it out of guest sight, keep it out of my sight.
One time I was checking in a fragile old couple and behind them I see some tramps digging in the trash; I kind of signaled to them and appreciated that they cleared out seconds before the delightful grandma and grandpa turned around!
I was taking out the trash recently and walked up on a guy diving. He looked startled, scared like I was gonna bust him. I just gently put my trash down, wished him the best, and turned around.
I don't allow begging; no one wants it and unfortunately it pops up in our online reviews. These people are on vacation and it spooks the shit out of them.

D

Deleted member 24782

After this prick gets done chasing me out of the parking lot all week, hes cashing his check and taking his girlfriend to eat at Olive Garden. Then their going to have some fun in a warm appartment. Meanwhile after Ive collected cans all day on my 10 speed, Im going to jack off in my hammock, under a tarp, and freeze my ass off all night. So why in the does a guy like that feel the need, to try and stop me from scavenging a few bucks? I could never wrap my head around it.

It often seems like the people who live the most comfortably and have the fewest reasons to give anyone else a hard time, are the ones who do. The people who will give you a hard time and bust your balls over every stupid little thing, are usually the people who have never been thru shit and never had hard times. They're life is comfortable and easy, so they take it upon themselves to make yours as hard as possible.

I can't really imagine jerkin off in a hammock, then again, I've only been in a hammock a couple times. A friend of mine (the guy who made the Crew Change guide) has a great story about boning in a boxcar on a hammock, the hammock breaks....) it's a good story.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads