A little late, but...

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
so, it occurs to me that I never actually made one of thes intro posts. I will try to keep it brief, here goes:
My name is Kyle, some people know me as cardboard, though I personally only use that as a stage name.
I grew up in and around Portland Oregon. My family was lower middle class. the first time I saw a lightswitch I was in school already.
skip ahead-
I graduated highschool a year early (age 17), and was working full time, had been kicked out of my folks house, and had my own flat. I was taking short trips for about a year after graduating. Hopped freight a few times as a child, just very short distances, nothing over 10 miles. This first year out of Highschool, I took my first real ride, Eugene to Roseville. Definitely got hooked.
I moved into a collective warehouse in my hometown, lived with a lot of crazy squatters/punks/activists, generally radical people. I quit my job and bought plane tickets to Costa Rica. This was my first real experience with traveling, and I wish I hadnt wasted it being a fucking tourist. I backpacked Costa Rica, and took small trips into Nicaragua and Panama over a month and half's time.
I moved to Oakland for a bit after returning to the states, but the travel bug had me bad, and after about 4 months, hit the road full time.
I started small, hitching and hopping all over the west coast, and sort of spiraled out.
Over the last 5 years I have ridden the sunset line coast to coast, spent most of my time in the US traveling the west and south, by way of freight and hitching. Hopped in Mexico a number of times, hitched as far south as Guatemala. Last winter/spring I spent in NOLA; had a lover there who was a musician, and bought me a plane ticket to tour Europe with her. She didnt quite agree with my whorish lifestyle (funny, kind of how she met me in the first place), and ended up heading back without me, barely taking the time to say goodbye.
I have been in western Europe for the last year and a half, hitch hiked through pretty much all of the west, including 2 monrhs in Iceland.
uhhhh... I guess that brings me to now.
Im currently in the north of France, at my partners parents for the holidays (hence the time to write crap like this, and make as many posts on stp as I have in the last 2 years since joining). I cant stand being housed up. The good food and warmth is nice, but I need to be out of here soon.
After christmas we will be heading south to Granada, where we will make final preparations for our journey into Africa.
FIN

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
uhhh, how are the tags made on this site? I really like the first three tags being crazy freight fucking, maybe I should change the title of the thread...

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
hitching is way easier here.
I heard from people places that were "impossible" to hitch, because they had to wait 2 hours for a ride. wow. Seems over here if you have to wait more than 15 minutes, that the hitching is terrible.
Due to train riding, there is a subculture of travelers in the US that you dont find here (which I am growing more and more to appreciate). In the US, every fucked up crust piece of shit (not that all curst punks are pieces of shit), can get anywhere with little effort. In Europe (and latin America, and more of the world Im guessing), people rely more on hitch hiking, meaning that to be a traveler you have to be at least semi sociable. A minimum of being able to hold a conversation, and probably not having a dick tattooed across your face. I guess its kind of funny in the US these really elite crust kids that you see everywhere, but upon traveling elsewhere, you realize that these people will never become truly accomplished travelers, as most of the rest of the world simply wont accept this bullshit.
Hell, Im getting ready to head into africa and must first find a way to remove an offensive arabic tattoo from my wrist, realizing my mistake a bit too late.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I hope so, the plan is to do a stick and poke wrist band, but Im having a hard time coming up with rounders (shaders). Hopefully we find them in spain, otherwise I gotta order them offline and wait it out.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
hahah, Its funny to get a welcome after being a member of this site for over 3 years.
Thanks anyways shaggy, just my ego getting a chuckle at the situation.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads