Photos A Gypsies' Life...

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, the hubs and I came out of Dollar Tree headed down the covered sidewalk to Save-A-Lot.

A tailess cat came running up to me and being the animal maniac I am, I squatted down to pet her.

It was then, that my life took on a new adventure.

The lady is Lisa and the cat is Mollie. The lady and I chatted and I asked if she needed anything.

Making it clear that Molly came first and any food goes to her, I went back into Dollar Tree and bought her some food, that she and Mollie could share.

I went back to check on her the next day and continued to check on her off and on.

I gave her my number and told her if she needed anything, to call me.

About a week later, I heard from her (she'd been on my mind) and she hated asking but Mollie's harness had worn in two and she needed a new one.

I had one that would fit Mollie and gladly gave it to her.

Due to some bad people she was getting in with (she was lonely and afraid on her own. Understandable...) she took Mollie and moved elsewhere.

I took her the harness and reminded her, call me to keep me posted on how she and Mollie were doing.

I went back to check on her and she wasn't around. Went back again, and she still wasn't around.

I went into the Circle K and asked if they'd seen her and they hadn't. They'd been really good to let her use their phone when she needed to call me.

Worried, I hoped I'd hear from her again...and I did...yesterday.

She's got a new home, rent free for cleaning it up and I'm so happy for her.

I took her some things like soap, body wash, lip gloss and lotion (she's very fair skinned, blonde and freckled and it's apparent the time in the sun has not been good to her. She's burned...) , food, a toy for Mollie and some food for Mollie.

We took her to pick up some blankets and such from a local free shop/charity and she's on her way, it seems.

She pointed me to two garbage cans filled with aluminum cans. Yay!

That's how I spread the love.

I'm so happy for her and extend an open offer to all here.

If you're ever in my area and need some canned goods, soap, clothes, bags, blankets, etc, let me know.

I collect cans for money, so I can help my fellow gypsies, vagabonds and free spirits.

Safe travels, y'all!

Attachments

• IMG_20150604_130506811.jpg
    IMG_20150604_130506811.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20150604_131008.jpg
    IMG_20150604_131008.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 443

milkhauler

Reaction score
One day we will take the lead from animals, or perish as a race. Animals don't kill one another just for the fun of it. They don't steal out of greed, or gossip about the people down the street.

We need more people like you. [emoji106]

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
One day we will take the lead from animals, or perish as a race. Animals don't kill one another just for the fun of it. They don't steal out of greed, or gossip about the people down the street.

We need more people like you. [emoji106]

You know, it's ironic you mention stealing and gossiping.

Lisa brought that up, twice and I could tell that it really bothered her that the people she had no choice but to rely on, stabbed her in the back (thankfully, not literally, as that's not unheard of around here) and, in short, acted like savages, rather than pooling all their collective resources (which I'm sure, would have been incredible!) to help each other.

I hope that one day, when I'm on the road, I don't come across anyone like that. The world is better off without parasites like that.

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
helping others is a reward in itself.

Absolutely, dmac66 and if I can do it on my budget (whatever I get from turning in aluminum cans) anyone can do it.

What I always hear is that it's never enough or doesn't make enough of a difference and I can tell you...it does.

I've spent less than $20 helping Lisa (much of what I've given her I bought new at yard sales) and she credits me with helping her turn her life around.

Do I believe that? Of course not, but...if I've made a difference in her life and helped her out, then, as you said, that is the only thanks I need.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Dmac

Reaction score
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is the golden rule. Now days it seems like people would rather do to you before you can do to them. I used to treat people like they treated me, if they were good to me I would be good to them. If they wronged me, I tried to wrong them back. This only caused more hassles for me. Now i just try to have as little as possible, to do with the jerks I run across.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Yes. Yes yes yes. Thank God for kind people Thank you for being such a person. I like to help if I can, especially those who come humbly.

Jaguwar...they don't get much humbler than this lady.

The hubs and I took her to a local charity and when he stopped the car, she started to get out and said, "thank you, so much, for everything."

I said, "you're not walking back home with all the stuff you need! Get what you need and then we'll take you home."

She kept insisting on walking home and there was no way...not in Florida's heat.

The entire time we were in the charity (it appears that everything is free there) she kept saying, "I don't want to take much...I can't be greedy, others are in need too."

That's the kind of people you cherish helping.

Reactions: Jaguwar

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is the golden rule. Now days it seems like people would rather do to you before you can do to them. I used to treat people like they treated me, if they were good to me I would be good to them. If they wronged me, I tried to wrong them back. This only caused more hassles for me. Now i just try to have as little as possible, to do with the jerks I run across.

That's the best way to be. My help has been unappreciated before and I figure that those that are ungrateful, that's their karma.

I once gave a man, holding a sign saying he was hungry, a new package (had just bought it at WalMart) of tuna and crackers and he threw it in the bushes.

People like that don't deserve help and I remember them and don't help them, again.

Reactions: Kal and Dmac

Dmac

Reaction score
@Andrea Van Scoyoc, I agree totally. there are many people I used to call friends who I helped out when they were in need. Over time it became clear that they just came around when they needed something, but never did anything in return. I call those people acquaintances now. It always amazes me how mad people get when they find out they cannot use or "get over" on me anymore. Sadly my older brother is like that, always wants me to help /lend/ give him something, but cannot take the time or trouble to help me or get what was loaned, back to me. had to tell him i wouldn't loan him anything because it was like pulling teeth to get it back. But, of course, i was the bad guy for not helping him anymore.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
@dmac66 ...

I've known far too many people like that. I cut them from my life.

You have to. Life is too short and too hard for all of us, to allow vampires anywhere near us.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Oh, how I wish everybody could be so kind!! Don't ever change! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads