A curious photojournalist | Squat the Planet

A curious photojournalist

facecake

Reaction score
Hey yall

My name's Mikey. I'd like to first say, though I'm not a nomad of any kind myself, I'm really interested in the lifestyle, and i respect the hell out of people who've chosen to live against the grain. I admire the courage it takes to try a life besides that which society lays out as "normal."

Long story short, I'm in college for photojournalism and digital media production and, frankly, it SUUUUCKS. I'm at the point where truly it's doing nothing to expand my mind or my technical abilities. It only further stagnates me and suffocates my creativity. It feels like a waste of time when I could be living life out on the road. I'm close to graduating, so once I do, I'm considering undertaking my own trip around the US.

I want to get out in the world and tell stories about humans being humans.

So getting to the point of this post: I'd love to simply talk to any of you who'd like to talk about your experiences traveling, your philosophies, your lifestyles and why you've chosen them. In the name of transparency, I'll say my end goal would be to make a documentary and/or photobook about one or a few people traveling around the country, but for now I just wanna get to know the people that make up the StP community.

If any of that sounds interesting to you, lemme know. I know I'm a bit of an outsider on here, and I may not be in the know with the traveller community, but I really wanna learn about and explore alternative lifestyles.

Above all, I'm just damn curious about how yall pull off a lifestyle that for so long seemed like a pipe dream to me.

So again, if you're down to indulge my curiosity, lemme know in this thread

Reactions: Taylorwltrs
D

Deleted member 125

forgive me for my first thought being that yer another of the half dozen or so "media types" (for lack of a better phrase) that show up from time to time looking to make a name for themselves taking pictures of people doing illegal things. its pretty easy to see through yer speil when iv heard it 50 times before. we have people who document us, because they are us.

iv said enough on this topic before, but ill just give fair warning for anyone wanting to participate by talking to OP that chances are, whether they intend to or not, they are most likely going to misquote things you say, or use film footage out of context etc etc to tell their own story as they see fit and make us look dumber then we already do ourselves.

welcome to stp.

roughdraft

Reaction score
we have people who document us, because they are us.

this is pretty much it OP, I can understand your being bored / tied to college almost at the finish line, and you're desperate, wanting to live vicariously and all, but the buttass naked truth is that you gotta go out and live what authentically intrigues you, life is not a spectator sport and fortune favors the bold.

I'd advise you to use the search bar and lurk the forum for topics that interest you; Then make flexible plans to get out and do some stuff, that'll afford you much more thorough answers to your questions than "hello mr/ms stranger on the internet, I am so excited to be a part of your community"…...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@facecake I'm always down to talk to folks about this community and the lifestyle, although I think you'll find folks here are pretty wary of the media in general, so don't be surprised if you get some flak. As @SlankyLanky mentioned, we are getting around to that time of the year where where we get a LOT of media inquiries and as a subculture we've been burned more times than not, which makes us pretty cynical of that kind of stuff.

as others have suggested, the best way to get true authenticity in this kind of documenting is to immerse yourself and live the lifestyle. take a lot of work, but authenticity in documentation requires investment :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads