A couple questions about gear to carry while on the road

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm in the medium phase of preparing for vagabonding, and I had a couple questions about gear that each alone didn't merit their own post. Thank you for your insights!
  1. Right now, I have a fancy backpacker's packback with an internal metal frame, but I'm thinking about trying to find one just as big that doesn't have a frame, because I'm not sure how I feel about the frame. Any insights about backpacks with and without frames in the context of vagabonding?
  2. Water purification tablets/other means- necessary? Or would just a package of purification tablets be sufficient as backup in an emergency?
  3. Radios- useful at all? Anyone worth communicating with by radio while on the road? What about just a small battery powered radio- worth the weight? Or are radios made completely obsolete by smartphones?
  4. Pots/pans - when I've asked what kind of cookware to bring, the best answer I've gotten is "depends on what kind of food you hope to cook." Which of the two basic cookware is more multi-purpose for cooking and other means? A pot or a pan? Is there something I haven't considered that can boil water but also be used to fry things? Should I just bring a pot for things that require boiled water and then heavy duty aluminum foil to cook anything I'd use the pan for on coals? What about something to drink hot beverages out of?
  5. Monocular/Binocular - Worth carrying?
  6. Pills/medication - What kind of pills/tablets would be useful while traveling? Right now, I'm considering bringing small bottles of aspirin, melatonin, caffeine and antacids. Should I even bother with any of them?
  7. Drug Paraphernalia - For trees, what's the most sensical smoking implement to carry with you? Right now I have a couple packs of rolling papers+roller in my gear, and am considering getting a dry herb attachment for my e-cig battery. What's the most practical to have on the road and least likely to get you in trouble if found?
  8. CD/DVD wallet - I'm thinking about burning a bunch of my favorite albums and movies onto discs to carry around in a CD wallet to give to people as "thank you" gifts, like for people who give me a ride when I'm hitch hiking or if someone helps me out in a great way. Is that a good idea? Or should I do something else?
  9. Playing cards/dice - How often would a scenario arise where having a deck of cards or some dice help pass the time with my fellow hobos? They don't weigh much and could be used to play a lot of different games to pass the time.
  10. Small laptop/netbook - Worth the weight for its uses if I'm carrying a smartphone?
  11. On the road sewing kit - What should be in it?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're waaaay overthinking all of this, but most people do when they first start off. A lot of stuff you find you need, you can always pick up somewhere along the way. But I'll offer my opinions on this long list seeing as how I'm a little bored atm:

1) It's all a matter of taste and what feels most comfortable to you. I personally like packs without the frame because I can cram my pack into smaller spaces more easilyy when need be.
2) I never carry the purification pills. But I do like to carry a little handheld backpacking water purifier. I found it on craigslist for $10 and it doesn't take up much room. It gets lots of use.
3) I just take a smartphone or mp3 for music..
4) I just take a small lightweight kettle/pot thing w/ a lid and make soups and use it for tea. if you want both why not get a little cookset like this that fits snuggly together: cookware.jpg Then you can fill the inside with seasoning packets, washcloth, socks, or whatever when not in use to save space.
5) handy for nature watching or doing recon of a railyard. up to you.
6) I personally don't bother with any pills because they don't really work on me. if anything, I'd bring some of those little emergen-C packets to take when you feel like you're comin down with a cold or something and you need a little immune boost.
7) if you're worried about getting in trouble I wouldn't bring it at all. and joints are stinky and the smell gets retained more on your clothes/fingers so I'd stick with a pipe. you can always use a soda can or I've made bongs out of bull kelp and chillums out of papaya branches before (they're hollow).
8) great idea!
9) why not. doesn't take up much space/weight
10) too heavy, easily damaged, and makes you a target to get mugged. I'd just stick with a smartphone that gets wifi
11) um....needles and dental floss???? lol maybe some cool patches/cloth for trades

Reactions: Kal

Leap

Reaction score
  1. Right now, I have a fancy backpacker's packback with an internal metal frame, but I'm thinking about trying to find one just as big that doesn't have a frame, because I'm not sure how I feel about the frame. Any insights about backpacks with and without frames in the context of vagabonding?

I never traveled without my frame backpack and honestly wouldn't trade it for anything.
  2. Water purification tablets are backup in an emergency?
    Fixed
    There's water out th ere most will have a washroom where you can fill it.a single pack would be allyou need
  3. Radios- useful at all? Smartphones have basically taken over everything. I hear scanners are useful in train yards.
  4. Pots/pans - bring a cup for sure. Pots are useful for soups or noodles. But frying things and making stir fry is good too. I used only a pot for a while then got a frying pan as well id suggest a pot if you're still not sure then well thrift stores arnt hard to come by so find one of those.
  5. Monocular/Binocular - useful sometimes but a lot of the time theyre just sitting in youre bag
  6. Pills/medication - definitely get some aspirin. Tums is also a life saver all the shityy food and drinks that'll happen. Benadryl when you inevitably touch soemthing you werent supposed to and break out in hives. Cold fx works if you can spare the money for em.
  7. Drug Paraphernalia - papers are nice and low key if you're nervous. I just carried a pipe on me and never had a problem had my bag searched a couple times but never my person. But maybe thats cause im 5'5and don't appear threatening.
  8. CD/DVD wallet - do what you want. I think its pretty rad and would be happy to get a new cd of things.
  9. Playing cards/dice - damn good idea. I carry both. Don't use em alm the time but when i do im glad theyre there.
  10. Small laptop/netbook - this is something ive struggled with for a while. Its useful and can do all the things your phone can better and usually faster its up to you if you can carry it. I just tough it out wjth ny phone and head toa cyber cafe/library when i can.
  11. On the road sewing kit -different needles& thread i use the scissors from my knife to cut the thread tooth floss is great thread too definitely take some buttons some fish hooks weights

Sorry for formatting on my phone

D

Deleted member 11392

You should get a mule for all this shit! There is no way in hell you can carry all this without a frame in your pack.

I think you have too much stuff. It's all preference in the end but you're gonna get sore carrying all this. Little things add up to big weight. Do you really need CDs? Are you hiking in the amazon? Do you need water purification tablets? I don't know what you're plans are exactly but think necessity before convenience and you'll be much more comfortable.

T

Toasty Tramp

Because everybody's intentions and missions are different, the best advice I can give is to grab what you think is necessary, and just take the fuck off.

Give it a week of travel, and I think the gear tends to take care of itself. Carrying it on your back has a funny way of letting you know how essential/useless it is. Going a week without it let's ya know just how badly you actually need it, as well.

You NEED shelter, food, and water. Beyond that it becomes a question of luxury. Don't let the gear prohibit your travel, it has a way of sorting itself out. There's really nothing you can't find on the road, so take what ya think is necessary, and discard the stuff you find to be unnecessary as you deem it :D

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
For what it's worth, your last sounds about like mine. Not doing radio, a smartphone will do that (and the right apps can make everything interesting). Likewise not bothering with a tablet (though if I had that and NOT the phone I'd certainly take it)
Wouldn't bother with the binocs, but even a monocular, too much weight. Cards and die are good, as you said lightweight and endlessly entertaining. Sewing kit: dental floss (cheap and multi purpose).
Not sure what I'm doing for water yet. there's such a thing as a portable water purifying pump I'm considering, very inexpensive, but if course it requires you to actually FIND water, which means it depends where you are. But it seems like a good solution to me.
You haven't mentioned first aid, but exactly. Assorted bandages, a couple of blister bandages, elastic bandage or sports tape, antibiotic cream with pain reliever, and a small assortment of your favorite nsaid or two. Bananas are multi purpose, serving as slings in a pinch, I'm bringing two. Oh and DEET!!! The real shit, Off! in the green can! Avoid west Nike virus and any number of other unpleasant diseases those buggers like to carry around.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Btw, too reduce weight, j get rid of the packaging, put things in Ziplocs wherever possible. If it's in a box, use some identifying portion to "label" your bag if you want to, but get rid of all that shit. Except for the needs, those you should only have blister packs for anyway, pick up more along the way.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Pots n pans... best thing I've found is to just go to a cheap shit store and get a coated nonstick POT, not pan. Take the handle off and ditch it, there goes most of the weight. Use leather or one of those camping pot grabbers or something. Its non stick, so can use it for pan stuff and pot stuff.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Mentioned this on another thread just now, but again... check out sawyer squeeze mini. I think its the cheapest, smallest, lightest, longest lasting filter out there. Works on a bottle or as a gravity filter. Costs $20 on amazon or walmarts that stock it.

Reactions: kecleon

kecleon

Reaction score
For me don't bring any of that stuff except the pack you have, a pot like suggested by iamwhatiam and a sewing kit.

Sawyer water filters are awesome but not many people actually need to carry one. Youve got to be really remote before you can't find free clean water. Rolling papers cost little everywhere. Pharmacies are everywhere. If you have a phone a radio is pointless unless you're really into radio.

Westy

Reaction score
-Water purification tablets weigh nothing and you can't live without water.
-pots/pans: not necessary, I like a 12cm Zebra Billy Can. You can cook, boil water to shave and wash to keep yourself clean and feel good. It won't take up anything for room because you can use it to carry things in while its in your pack.
-monocular/binoculars: you'll regret having to pack them around. It's just the way it seems to work out unless your bush crafting or on the lam.
-medication: it's important. Pain medication, gravol, antacid, and benadryl. Laugh it up until you have a pounding headache or the shits or vomiting, then it becomes the most Important thing you packed in a big hurry. (Should be in your first aid kit with a few bandaids etc.)
-CD/DVD wallet: waste of space and weight, go digital bro.
-laptop/notebook: use your phone on the road if you can. Laptops are brutally heavy and not very robust, it could cost you more to bring it in the end.
-Sewing: a few strong needles, for thread I use synthetic fishing line like Spyder wire or berkley gorilla braid. It's around 5-7lb monofilament test diameter with around a 30lb test. Spool around 100ft on a large thread spool to use for fishing, flossing, and sewing amongst other uses.
-You haven't mentioned fire. Everyone should have a fire making kit. Research methods and pick your poison but either way you need to be able to make fire.

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads