News & Blogs - 33 facts about america - some interesting items ... | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs 33 facts about america - some interesting items ...

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
http://www.silverdoctors.com/33-str...hat-most-americans-would-be-shocked-to-learn/

In 2014, police in the United States killed 1,100 people. During that same year, police in Canada killed 14 people, police in China killed 12 people and police in Germany didn’t kill anyone at all.
This article contains some very troubling facts about the US.
The following are 33 strange facts about America that most Americans would be shocked to learn…

From The Economic Collapse Blog:

Amerika.png

Did you know that about one-fourth of the entire global prison population is in the United States? Did you know that Apple has more money than the U.S. Treasury? Did you know that if you have no debt and also have 10 dollars in your wallet that you are wealthier than 25 percent of all Americans? Did you know that by the time an American child reaches the age of 18, that child will have seen approximately 40,000 murders on television?

There are some things that are great about the United States, and there are definitely some things that are not so great. Once upon a time we were the most loved and most respected nation on the entire planet, but those days are long gone. We have wrecked our economy, we have lost our values and we have fumbled away our future. But if you look close enough, you can still see many of the things that once made this country a shining beacon to the rest of the world.

This article includes some weird facts, some fun facts, but also some very troubling facts. It has been said that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, and hopefully as people enjoy reading the fun facts in this article they will also take note of the more serious facts. If we are ever going to change course as a nation, we need to come to grips with just how far we have fallen.
The following are 33 strange facts about America that most Americans would be shocked to learn…

#1 The amount of cement that China used from 2011 to 2013 was greater than the total amount of cement that the United States used during the entire 20th century.

#2 In more than half of all U.S. states, the highest paid public employee in the state is a football coach.

#3 It costs the U.S. government 1.8 cents to mint a penny and 9.4 cents to mint a nickel.

#4 Almost half of all Americans (47 percent) do not put a single penny out of their paychecks into savings.

#5 In 2014, police in the United States killed 1,100 people. During that same year, police in Canada killed 14 people, police in China killed 12 people and police in Germany didn’t kill anyone at all.

#6 The state of Alaska is 429 times larger than the state of Rhode Island is. But Rhode Island has a significantly larger population than Alaska does.

#7 Alaska has a longer coastline than all of the other 49 U.S. states put together.

#8 The city of Juneau, Alaska is about 3,000 square miles in size. It is actually larger than the entire state of Delaware.

#9 When LBJ’s “War on Poverty” began, less than 10 percent of all U.S. children were growing up in single parent households. Today, that number has skyrocketed to 33 percent.

#10 In 1950, less than 5 percent of all babies in America were born to unmarried parents. Today, that number is over 40 percent.

#11 The poverty rate for households that are led by a married couple is 6.8 percent. For households that are led by a female single parent, the poverty rate is 37.1 percent.

#12 In 2013, women earned 60 percent of all bachelor’s degrees that were awarded that year in the United States.

#13 According to the CDC, 34.6 percent of all men in the U.S. are obese at this point.

#14 The average supermarket in the United States wastes about 3,000 pounds of food each year.

#15 Right now, more than 200 million people around the planet are officially considered to be unemployed. Meanwhile,approximately 20 percent of the garbage that goes into our landfills is food.

#16 There is a city in Bangladesh called Dhaka where workers are paid just one dollarfor every 1,000 bricks that they carry. Meanwhile, the “inactivity rate” for men in their prime working years in the United States is hovering near record high levels.

#17 According to one recent survey, 81 percent of Russians now have a negative view of the United States. That is much higher than at the end of the Cold War era.

#18 Montana has three times as many cows as it does people.

#19 The grizzly bear is the official state animal of California. But no grizzly bears have been seen there since 1922.

#20 One recent survey discovered that “a steady job” is the number one thing that American women are looking for in a husband, and another survey discovered that 75 percent of women would have a serious problem dating an unemployed man.

#21 According to a study conducted by economist Carl Benedikt Frey and engineer Michael Osborne, 47 percent of the jobs in the United States could soon be lost to computers, robots and other forms of technology.

#22 The only place in the United States where coffee is grown commercially is in Hawaii.

#23 The original name of the city of Atlanta was “Terminus“.

#24 The state with the most millionaires per capita is Maryland.

#25 There are more than 4 million adult websites on the Internet, and they get more traffic than Netflix, Amazon and Twitter combined.

#26 86 percent of men include “having children” in their definition of success. For women, that number is only 73 percent.

#27 One survey of 50-year-old men in the U.S. found that only 12 percent of them said that they were “very happy”.

#28 The United States has 845 motor vehicles for every 1,000 people. Japan only has 593 for every 1,000 people, and Germany only has 540 for every 1,000 people.

#29 The average American spends more than 10 hours a day using an electronic device.

#30 48 percent of all Americans do not have any emergency supplies in their homes whatsoever.

#31 There are three towns in the United States that have the name “Santa Claus“.

#32 There is actually a town in Michigan called “Hell“.

#33 There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in your body. If they were stretched out in a single line, they could go around the planet more than twice.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yeah I know - I run into some crappy stuff out there. Was just using this as a test really. Read it today and thought it was rather disturbing. :( So I'll leave it. :)

Psylock1045

Reaction score
women want a man to have a steady job, and won't date someone unemployed...welp, guess I'm gonna be single for life, since I can't hold a job due to my depression. stupid, selfish people. cuz my worth in the world is TOTALLY determined by what my job is. right.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Although I'm troubled by that statistic as well, understand that they want a man who HAS and KEEPS a job. Nowhere did it say we want men with "high paying" or any other particular type of job. Just can you work, and if so WILL YOU. In that sense, that's actually no different than what women have ALWAYS wanted: a man who will provide for his family.

What bothers me is that these are difficult times, and allowances really need to be made There are other ways to provide, too contribute to a couple, to a family. With women working as well, why the hell shouldn't we pick up the slack? Oh wait what, because gender? I thought that didn't exist?

There's an underlying disconnect that should bother you much more, as a man, than the age old request that a man provide for a family.

Also, a job is the only standard most women have for measuring a man's ability and willingness to provide Prove you can do it otherwise and you'll probably be fine.

Psylock1045

Reaction score
the problem is that it's just not that simple. I want love. I don't want a single goddamn thing in this world except love. I'd be perfectly happy being homeless, jobless, eternally broke, whatever, if I had a woman who loves me and is there for me emotionally. But people seem to think that money is more important than love. Hence, my being single. I've never had money. Never WILL have money. But my heart is richer with love to give than the bank accounts of all big company CEO's combined. But no one cares.

Reactions: Jaguwar

Psylock1045

Reaction score
whats that old saying, if you can't love me at my worst, you damn sure dont deserve me at my best.

Reactions: Odin and Preacher

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
I feel ya. Bring kids into it and it's not exactly about the money, but about what that money can provide. If you can provide needed things (food, warm clothes, and opportunities for the mental, emotional, and social growth of said kids) without money, then that works too.

For what it's worth, I think it can be done. Show you can. Problem solved.

incidentally, I have a shit ton of love to give too. It turns out that's not enough for my boyfriend. Someday he'll understand why he's wrong, but right now that's where we are, in this long, goddamned painful goodbye. He's too busy being excited at the upcoming adventures to notice, and I'm trying not to let him know how badly this actually hurts.

We can't always get what we want.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

What can I say what can I do... just gotta play it cool. ::cigar::

Last edited:

Justin Case

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This is nothing new or surprising and sure as hell is not shocking America stopped being free since your grandparents started voting and the cia has controlled the presidents since JFK tried to fire them. every war we fight is for the international banking cartel, and is nothing more than a blood sacrifice to Lucifer whereby they gain power and position and wealth it has nothing to do with freedom or rights that is the cover story they feed to fools. Examine the facts for yourself. Everyone that is considered a terrorist nation is the nations who are independent of the global banking cartels. You are not permitted to be free silliy slave, you exist to serve the STATE.
As far as woman and love and jobs go a woman will give you all the love you could ever hope for when you make her your job and show her how much you value her, there are always gold digging scheming bitches but they although in great numbers are a minority and often will melt like snow in spring if you have enough fire in your heart, Woman ache for security and want a man that is not going to be weaker than them they desire strength and sincerity, be a man like that and you can have your pick of women. I have had woman come across oceans just to visit me and get some huggy kissy moments. Focus on being the best the greatest and having your life only improve and it will. If you aim for perfection even your failures are excellence. You are only as good as your thoughts so get your mind right and all else will follow. best wishes and warmest regards

• Useful
Reactions: Jaguwar and Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
#21 According to a study conducted by economist Carl Benedikt Frey and engineer Michael Osborne, 47 percent of the jobs in the United States could soon be lost to computers, robots and other forms of technology.

#22 The only place in the United States where coffee is grown commercially is in Hawaii.

#23 The original name of the city of Atlanta was “Terminus“.

Yea a lot of sales folks could be replaced by touch screen kiosks and automated printed contracts. Might even increase new car sales. lol But interesting to note a grocery store I had not been at in ages got rid of its self serve checkouts??

Another reason to go to Hawaii.

And Terminus sounds better... in an apocalyptic sense...

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
the problem is that it's just not that simple. I want love. I don't want a single goddamn thing in this world except love. I'd be perfectly happy being homeless, jobless, eternally broke, whatever, if I had a woman who loves me and is there for me emotionally. But people seem to think that money is more important than love. Hence, my being single. I've never had money. Never WILL have money. But my heart is richer with love to give than the bank accounts of all big company CEO's combined. But no one cares.

I want unconditional love too. I think it's completely normal to want this. I know for me, I go in and out of depression, feeling like I'm worthless, and the sad truth is whenever I involve women in my life it just complicates it all even more for me. I know eventually the depression will pass, but I haven't found someone whose been able to deal with it yet and love me for who I am. I either get friend zoned, they leave, or I get used for emotional support and stop talking to them, but I tend to look at it as a blessing because I didn't waste more time with them. I think someone should love you for who you are and your mind and not what you do for work, if you have work, or money (as long as you aren't living off of them). I have money atm, but it won't always be like that. That should not be the deciding factor for a relationship. Hopefully you find love. I believe it's out there, but until then I will travel for the views, to find love, to find faith and work so I can support myself.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads