:)

epiphany

Reaction score
hidey ho kiddos! the name is epiphany and im planning on traveling by foot for the first time.
it's been my dream to hitchhike across the country since i can remember. ive housed some traveling kids this summer and now it's my turn to be on the road. i almost have all my gear together and plan on leaving after christmas.

i can't stand another northeast winter.

Georgeez

Reaction score
yay! I'm happy you get to begin your journey soon!
Are you headed anywhere in particular or just wherever the road takes you?
And do you have a pet??
=)

D

Deleted member 125

welcome to stp. it goes without saying but the northeast gets mighty fucking cold around this time of year, what kinda gear do you have? whats yer sleeping bag rated at?

epiphany

Reaction score
I'm planning on headed out west after christmas. I got my 35L pack the other day and it turns out I have more room in it than I thought. I'm packing two sets of clothes, lots of underwear and socks, a first aid kit, multi tool, knife, tea tree oil, hiking boots, journal, marker, lighter and waterproof matches, sewing kit and strips of leather, shoestrings and rope, and some other things I can't think of at the top of my head (I'm on my way to visit family for Christmas)
This weekend a friend of mine is giving me a sleeping bag that's rated for 10 degrees fahrenheit. I hope that is sufficient.

Z

zipty6425

Ive tried a handful of different sleeping bags. It seems anything at or below 32. You freeze your ass off no matter what bag your in. I double up my bags in winter months. But if I had only one bag, I think the trick is to change your socks before bed so your dry, and sleep with all your layers... Shirt, sweater, jacket, ect... More layers = more warmer.

Sent from my Z716BL using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

A

A New Name

I've actually read around here that you might be warmer if you slept with as few clothes as possible. I remember finding it counter intuitive but it may be true, so that the bag may be filled with warm air, but I don't know. Haven't tested.

Renegade

Reaction score
I've actually read around here that you might be warmer if you slept with as few clothes as possible. I remember finding it counter intuitive but it may be true, so that the bag may be filled with warm air, but I don't know. Haven't tested.

Welcome welcome.. hit me up on chat if you'd like toss ideas and knowledge around with me..
Yeah i think the idea is that most the insulation gets compressed if you have on like 10 layers you lessen space in the bag where hot air can get trapped:. Also too many layers makes you sweaty and we all know how that goes..I usally have one thermal base layer soci dont sweat and make sure the bag is rated well be low the expected temperature out..too many layers always made me freeze

Last edited:

The Albino Buffalo

Reaction score
If you can find room the one thing that I wish I had spent more on when I went traveling was tarps. I always tried to have at least two cause one would get dirty or fucked up but they all seemed to rip or get cigarette burns in them or some dumb stuff. Tarps man. Two tarps and some Paracord will get you through the world

Reactions: VeganBrianFL

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when people bring up the "less clothes when cold" thing is if you're using a vapor barrier (like garbage bags) and / or Mylar blankets for reflecting heat. Otherwise, in a sleeping bag without those circumstances, layering up in MORE clothes is best.
For example, the max temp rating on the MSS actually factors in wearing more layers to reach that arctic cold (-40?) rating. Definitely not less.
Idk if I'm explaining this well; search here or hiking sites. Don't want folks becoming Encino Man while posting up in the cold!

WeekendWarrior88

Reaction score
Hi Epiphany! I'd love to hear how your travels are going so far. Sounds like you packed some good gear. I hope you stayed warm during the cold temperatures, we got a bit below zero here. It should be awesome travelling right now. It's in the mid 40s on the west coast, I wonder what east coast weather and travel is like.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads