2022 Jamboree 2022 Dirty Scouts Jamboree Location Discussion Thread

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2022 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldorf

Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
PNW makes ZERO sense to be frank... there's NO WAY there's more people on here from there....based on basic USA population spreads you can see anywhere in the PA/ NYC/ DC area will make rails WAY more available to people, one and two BUSSES, and three CARS there just WAYY WAY more humans in the USA on this side of the map and this site is realllly west coast heavy.... that being said the north east US, is the OBVIOUS choice as why most AMERICAN meetups are hosed on the mid atlantic region esp NYC. but the reality is most the mods and "staff" are heavy PNW based on this site also, there a LOT of free LARGE areas that are PRIVATE so with that said, i really wanna see the PNW, it hold a magical connotation in my head
As somebody who lives in NYC, this place is a fucking shithole and there's a lot of things that would not be possible with Jambo here. The cops would bust it up in minutes. Drunk in public, massive group sleeping on the street, etc
The only places viable out on this side of the country would be Maine, Vermont or Pennsylvania and maybe some places a little further south like NC or eastern Maryland
Yeah, NYC borders like no park areas that'd be friendly to this sort of thing, however PA, upstate NY like 30 miles outside of NYC you'll find lots of viable camp grounds, PA there's numerous in the Northeast region the south too, the east does make more sence and also, NYC is far better off then Seattle, LA , or most major Florida city's in terms of active policing officers, we never actually defunded them. But ibhave to agree with you on the locations and current CURRENT state of NYC specifically....., there's nowhere here really safe to host it from being broken up short of charging people for a private venue. But indigress, the PNW isn't the most logical choice lol it just isn't and yall LOVE it I get that but it's not....let's be real lol

I will say this tho, in terms of being friendly to travelers, bums, drunk ppl, and high ppl yeah the PNW absolutely stands out, it's like the last place where hitchhiking is still common from what I gather, and people in northeast tend to be more hostile to transient folk, deserved or not it's not my point, my point is simple...most Americans live nowhere near PNW and there's many many remote freeeeee camping in The north east for SURE as I grew up in the country of PA ftmp... it's is what it is and I have the facts right. Let's not lie to ourselves lol also the meetup is NEVER on the east coast, and this site reallly does lean west coast heavy when it comes to in person stuff

Thr Snively Hot spring area looks INCREDIBLE!!! I'm coming or gonna try to come ifni can get a ride, I'll definitely have thr funds, maybe I'll get my bro to go, he's been to Oregon and the PNW,

so my VOTE IS for ANYWHERE thatched privacy and uis beautiful!!!! Anywhere in a mountain area of Pnw is fine

Last edited:

Jerrell

Reaction score
I would counterpoint most Americans aren't misfit travelers.
I don't know the east coast travel scene, but the west coast one is plenty crowded.

That said, I've always liked the idea of regional meet ups in addition to the Jambo.

@Koala I would be down to drive to either of @Matt Derrick 's suggestions.

3-4 hrs is the most I ever put on my van in one go, but can always take a break.

I've reached out to one hot spring junkie I know and the other hot spring junkie we talked about should be back on the grid from the Umpqua area mid-week.

Aug 9-11 would really work for me.

I need to have my suspension looked at in my van and this gives me a nudge since my car has been my daily driver while jobbed up. 😎

So working at this resort, I sometimes come across used gear.

Here's what I have hanging out in my workcamp spot right now.

• sleeping bag with a couple small patched spots.
  • collapsing camp chair with one of the arms that doesn't stay up cuz it's ripped. I think the cup holder needs to be repaired too.
  • Coleman gas stove (red tank) that I haven't tried out yet. Not sure I remember how. Haha

From my personal gear, off the top of my head, stuff I'm down to barter, sell on the cheap, or kick down if you really need it and aren't a complete piece of shit:

• Buddy heater that sits on top the green propane bottle.
  • sleeping mat/pad (possibly two)
  • aaaand just went blank. Worked 9 hrs today. I'll look around between now and jambo and see what else I am willing to part with.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Another suggestion I have is Snively Hot Spring a little further east in Oregon. Lots of nice camping down by the river there and a big dammed lake further down the paved road which is perfect for swimming, some cliff jumping and kayaking/boating.

I've been there a number of times and always have a great time. It's very immersed in nature out there but easily accessible by a paved road. There are pit toilets at the spring. Short few hundred feet walk down to the spring. Less than a mile down to the camp areas, many of which have some shade from trees. Lake Owyhee is a gorgeous 30 min drive from the hot spring and there's a gas station/small grocery a 15min drive from the hot spring.

This spot is a bit further east next to the Idaho border but let me know what yall think! @Matt Derrick East Lake looks really pretty but I wanted to suggest something that wasn't as near yuppie tourist areas lol.

Here's photos I've taken near Snively:

View attachment 68288
The hot spring

View attachment 68285
Lake Owyhee

View attachment 68287
One of many camping areas
snively looks pretty great to me, can anyone not make it to that location?

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
snively looks pretty great to me, can anyone not make it to that location?
I think it would be pretty far for @Jerrell to make it to Snively and also it would prob be in the 90s everyday without very much shade, so I'm thinking the forest of Southern Oregon would be more comfortable and a lot closer for Jerrell and others on the coast to make it

Reactions: Waldorf

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think it would be pretty far for @Jerrell to make it to Snively and also it would prob be in the 90s everyday without very much shade, so I'm thinking the forest of Southern Oregon would be more comfortable and a lot closer for Jerrell and others on the coast to make it
do we know of any good locations in SO then?

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
There's Eight Dollar Mountain in Selma (most accessible), Elderberry Flats by Wimer (less cell service, but nicer imo), Hellsgate by Merlin, and then the Smith River NorCal spot I mentioned previously is a bit south of Cave Junction, OR. Also lots of gorgeous free spots south of Applegate Lake as soon as you cross the CA border.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Just do it in PDX.
Having it in any downtown metro area is a bad idea. It has to be out in the woods or just generally away from people. Saying that Jambo should be held in NYC, Portland, Seattle, LA or any other city is like telling Rainbow to do the same. The point isn't just to meet up, hang out and get drunk, it's also to just get the fuck out of cities and away from cops.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
What about the Rogue-Siskiyou National Forest north of Prospect, OR, along 230? It's halfway between southern Oregon and central Oregon. A stone's throw from Crater Lake, but there's a lot of beautiful river spots (crystal clear for the Rogue) out that way and plenty of shade from the old growth forest. Some of those camping spots are truly hidden gems.

Screenshot_2022-07-26-12-44-52-21_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

I'd also throw the forest north of Westfir, OR into the mix. Lovely river, tons of camping, super shaded. Between Eugene and central Oregon. There's a bathroom at the covered bridge with running water before you go out to the woods, which isn't a long drive if you don't feel like digging a hole to take a dump. Not far from Oakridge, where you can stock up on supplies.

Last edited:

Jerrell

Reaction score
Deserts are for winter. It'll be too hot this time of year. A little higher elevation and trees are more ideal.
I was traveling the PNW thru both heat domes last year and it was fairly miserable. Some days I had to just be in a shaded creek or river all day no matter how much water I drank.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
@Scat Yeah any of those spots sound great! Let's try to pick one now haha

I'm down for anywhere in that area. Maybe whoever is gonna volunteer to get there first and claim a spot can pick the location, I won't be able to get there early to scout or set up camp or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads