18 in 1 Soap | Squat the Planet

18 in 1 Soap

andi

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here, but i thought i should share anyways so everybody knows about the Dr. Bronner 18 in 1 pure castile soap. It can be used to absolutely everything and anything which makes it so handy when traveling.

Here's a list of some uses:

1. SHAVING
Dilute one part liquid castile soap to two parts of water and massage into skin as a shaving lubricant.

2. SHAMPOO
Wet hair thoroughly and massage a small amount of liquid castile soap into your hands until a lather forms. Wash hair and rinse well.

3. DENTAL CLEANING
Put a single drop on your toothbrush (almond, peppermint, and citrus are nice flavours to use) and brush and rinse as per usual. This is great for sensitive teeth and gums, and will also clean dentures effectively.

4. BODY WASH
Wet skin and massage a small amount onto a cloth, loofah or sponge then wash and exfoliate at the same time. You can also just apply directly to the skin – you only need a tiny amount!

5. HOT TOWEL MASSAGE
For facial packs, scalp and soothing body rub, add a dash of liquid castile soap on a bath towel in sink of hot water. Wring the towel out and place it over the face & scalp. Massage with your fingertips. Repeat on each area of the body until the arms, legs & entire body have been massaged (using light strokes towards the heart.) Rinse the towel in plain hot water and massage again. Breathe deeply! Choose whichever scent makes your heart sing.

6. BATHING
Add a squirt to a bath tub of water at the beginning for bubbles, or after the bath has been drawn for a relaxing soak without bubbles. Rose is a divine fragrance for this use.

7. DEODORANT
Add 1-2ml (0.05 fl oz) to a spray bottle of water (125ml/4.2 fl oz) along with a teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt for best results. Rose, Citrus, Lavender or Tea Tree are effective – or just choose whichever scent appeals from the range of eight!

8. BREATH FRESHENER
One or two drops in a spray bottle containing 50-125ml (1.7-4.2 fl oz) of distilled water helps to keep the breath fresh and prevent unhealthy bacteria from thriving in the gums and between the teeth. Peppermint, tea-tree, eucalyptus or citrus are great choices.

9. MOUTH WASH
Add 1 drop to a shot glass of water, swish and rinse. Peppermint, tea-tree, eucalyptus or citrus are great choices.

10. BABY WASH
Add a drop or two to a wet washcloth, or a couple of drops to the bathwater. Baby Mild is ideal as it is completely natural and fragrance-free.

11. AFTER-SHAVE
One or two drops in a spray bottle containing 50-125ml (1.7-4.2 fl oz) of distilled water helps to invigorate the skin and prevent shaving rash. Peppermint, Eucalyptus, or Tea Tree work well, or Baby Mild for sensitive skins.

12. HAND SOAP
Dilute anywhere from 1 part castile soap to 4 parts water through to 1:1. You can also use the full strength soap with a foaming dispenser. Any scent is ideal for this application.

13. FOOT SOAK
Add a tablespoon (15ml/0.5 fl oz) to a foot bath and relax! Peppermint is a great choice for hard or cracked heels, or use Tea Tree if fungal infections are a concern.

14. LAUNDRY WASH
For the laundry, use 1/4 cup (62.5ml) for top-loading machines (1/8 cup for front loaders – 31.3ml); adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. Adding a dash of baking soda may also help. Great for nappy washing, as it is all natural and won’t contribute to nappy-rash. Also delicate enough to use for hand wash items, such as silks and wool. Any scent works well, or unscented if you prefer.

15. PET WASH
Wet the coat of your pet thoroughly first then apply the liquid castile soap by massaging a small amount in your hands first until a lather is formed, then washing the hair/fur and rinsing clean afterwards. Can also be added to the wash water for ease of use (one squirt is plenty). Choose a stronger scent to help deter fleas and ticks, or Baby Mild if your pet has very sensitive skin.

16. FRUIT & VEGETABLE RINSE
Fill the sink with water and add a squirt of liquid castile soap to remove most chemical residues from fruit and vegetables. Baby Mild (unscented) is the best choice.

17. PEST SPRAY
Use 1-2 tablespoons/about 23ml per litre (0.7 fl oz per quart) of water in a spray bottle for garden pests (4-6 tablespoons per gallon). Citrus, Lavender, or Baby Mild work well.

18. HOUSEHOLD CLEANER
Dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to 1:1 or full strength for heavy-duty grease-dissolving jobs. Lavender, Citrus, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree work well – although Almond, Rose and Baby Mild are also great choices if you prefer those scents in your house (almond is a favourite around here – it smells just like marzipan!).

• Useful
Reactions: AAAutin

James Meadowlark

Sonic Reducer
Reaction score
Huge fan of DB, but with one caveat...

Shaving- Maybe if you're a lady with resilient legs and pits- you're good to go.. I mangle the shit out of my face whenever I use this, and I have to shave everyday for work. The Dr. B's shaving cream seems like a thicker formulation (I have the dedicated shaving cream iteration) of the same soap (it tastes like peanut butter when some gets in your mouth), and I want to love it for shaving, but I'm saying- I've been working with it for months, and prefer a conventional shave product. I'm also not sure if I'd go for the "aftershave" part, since it's soap, and it leaves a filmy deal on your skin if not washed off. Haven't tried the deodorant thing, but again seems like soapy armpits all day, but I'm not ready to poo-poo the idea without trying it out, and I have not.

I use Florida Water for some of those (external) things, like smelling good after a hot soak in a tub, making my gear/house fresh etc. Like a buck or two in a pharmacy.

Dr. B's is great for everything else you've described (I think but could be wrong there's an admonition on the label I think about using the product internal like for mouthwash or breath freshener, etc so I've not been bold enough to try it). I use the citrus deal as my go to shower soap... Good product that cleans just about everything (you can wash your dishes in it even) since it's a Castile soap and a little goes a long way.

Last edited:

andi

Reaction score
Huge fan of DB, but with one caveat...

Shaving- Maybe if you're a lady with resilient legs and pits- you're good to go.. I mangle the shit out of my face whenever I use this, and I have to shave everyday for work. The Dr. B's shaving cream seems like a thicker formulation (I have the dedicated shaving cream iteration) of the same soap (it tastes like peanut butter when some gets in your mouth), and I want to love it for shaving, but I'm saying- I've been working with it for months, and prefer a conventional shave product. I'm also not sure if I'd go for the "aftershave" part, since it's soap, and it leaves a filmy deal on your skin if not washed off. Haven't tried the deodorant thing, but again seems like soapy armpits all day, but I'm not ready to poo-poo the idea without trying it out, and I have not.

I use Florida Water for some of those (external) things, like smelling good after a hot soak in a tub, making my gear/house fresh etc. Like a buck or two in a pharmacy.

Dr. B's is great for everything else you've described (I think but could be wrong there's an admonition on the label I think about using the product internal like for mouthwash or breath freshener, etc so I've not been bold enough to try it). I use the citrus deal as my go to shower soap... Good product that cleans just about everything (you can wash your dishes in it even) since it's a Castile soap and a little goes a long way.

Oh that's good to know.. won't recommend it for shaving. i was just quoting what the website says. When i found out you could use it as toothpaste I was too curious and actually tried it. I used the almond scented one and it actually wasnt too bad. It felt very soapy, but didnt taste that way. I have to say it worked, but theres something about that minty after taste that is just much better.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
DB is great, i just wish it didnt come with a bunch of stuff plastered all over it.

stuff meaning the air tight wrapper? I've used it, had to use a knife to open it. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads