17 Year old punker looking for some travel tips and U.K. or US based travel buddies | Squat the Planet

17 Year old punker looking for some travel tips and U.K. or US based travel buddies

Freaky Gray

Reaction score
Hi I’m Jack I am 17 and got hardcore wander lust I already have done a fair bit of busking and the occasional bit of sleeping rough so not too different just doing it on my own terms and vibe. Also I’m a musician (check out freaky gray on Spotify)

abit of background:

mother’s got NPD, Bipolar Anxiety and depression, living with my dad but he has told me multiple times that he loves his wife more than me (not sure what I’ve done to her apart from be my mums kid.) and is not allowing me to live with him once I’m old enough to be at uni. so homelifes not great but bearable.

I got 5 months ish left of college and am gonna go on my first vagabond travel up to Manchester during my summer break for uni as a test run and am then hoping to travel out to the good ol’ U.S of A and hop some trains and just vibe I guess.
so hit up your boy

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nice man, welcome. Sucks to hear about your dad, that's kinda a weird / dick move on his part.

But, I guess it could be worse. I haven't been to the UK in ages, but if you need advice for the USA I'm your guy. When exactly do you think you'll be coming out to the states?

My immediate advice is to take a camera (doesn't have to be fancy) and keep a journal, even if you only write a few words a day (or every few days) you'll thank yourself 10+ years down the road.

Freaky Gray

Reaction score
Nice man, welcome. Sucks to hear about your dad, that's kinda a weird / dick move on his part.

But, I guess it could be worse. I haven't been to the UK in ages, but if you need advice for the USA I'm your guy. When exactly do you think you'll be coming out to the states?

My immediate advice is to take a camera (doesn't have to be fancy) and keep a journal, even if you only write a few words a day (or every few days) you'll thank yourself 10+ years down the road.
Thanks aha it is a bit of a dick move, I’ll be aiming to be over there by after uni l, fly out to California And freight hop from there it would be great to get any tips I can. As for documenting stuff I’m gonna convert my instagram into a little kinda blog for my travels so I’ll be sure to keep a track on my adventures lol. Thanks for the reply

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what's your IG and when does uni end, because here in the states that's not super obvious and it'll help people here interested in meeting you to know when you'll be hopping over the pond :)

roguetrader

Reaction score
I'm in the UK if you wanna spraff with yer own kind ! me and my wife are living down in Devon at the moment, we've kinda slowed down on the travelling bit due to kid in school and the authorities slow destruction of the vehicle dwelling scene, but got 30 years experience if you got any questions about the punk rockin' squattin' lifestyle....

my top tip based on your plans outlined above ? - start a new term at Uni, get as much Student Loan and bank overdraft as you can, then use that nice lump sum to springboard yourself Stateside... I did something similar 25 years ago and the debt collection muthafuckers ain't extracted a single penny from me yet !!!

roguetrader

Reaction score
I reckon you're going to love Manchester- I'm from just south of there myself and went to many a good punk gig in the city before moving away - do you know the Autonomads ? they're from round that way.... I saw Conflict in their hey day in Manchester in about '89 - one of the roughest mosh pits ever followed by a riot outside- some mad bastard torched a pig car ! where the fuck he got a can of petrol at 2am I don't know....

Freaky Gray

Reaction score
I reckon you're going to love Manchester- I'm from just south of there myself and went to many a good punk gig in the city before moving away - do you know the Autonomads ? they're from round that way.... I saw Conflict in their hey day in Manchester in about '89 - one of the roughest mosh pits ever followed by a riot outside- some mad bastard torched a pig car ! where the fuck he got a can of petrol at 2am I don't know....
Autonomads rock the great benefit cheat is a banging track. Sounds like a good time. Pompeys abit quiet but Subhumans played right before lockdown in a little local pub and that was a great time

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads