zippo fuel alternatives? | Squat the Planet

zippo fuel alternatives?

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
the 'heet' (denatured alcohol) works, but it eveporates quick if you don't keep the zippo in a baggie. just use a disposable. everybody I know who carries a zippo does it just for the look, and the click sound.

skunkpit

Reaction score
im a recycler
love usin what people throw away

im gonna try some boiled flax oil and alcohol mixed together or somethin

ill post if any luck

C

Crazycoon

Good call maan too much coulored plastic peices of flint and shit in the fillz already.

Every garage and attic has an old can of carosene or lamp oil kickin around, evn that scented citrinella shit'll werk fine.

farmer john

Reaction score
that nasty smelling body spray axe or tag work as well as there knockoffs

• Agree
Reactions: RoadFlower33

Dishka8643

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing how the experiment turned out... Perhaps biodiesel would work?

It looks time consuming to make, but relatively simple. All he used was filtered vegetable oil/ animal tallow, yellow bottle HEET (methanol) , and lye (sodium hydroxide)

One batch would probably last you a year or so. It might be worth the effort if it doesn't evaporate as quickly as the traditional naptha/ ronsonol fuel.

heres a vid on the basics of how it's made:

trotsky

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing how the experiment turned out... Perhaps biodiesel would work?

It looks time consuming to make, but relatively simple. All he used was filtered vegetable oil/ animal tallow, yellow bottle HEET (methanol) , and lye (sodium hydroxide)

One batch would probably last you a year or so. It might be worth the effort if it doesn't evaporate as quickly as the traditional naptha/ ronsonol fuel.

heres a vid on the basics of how it's made:

It'd probably be too thick, and wouldn't burn clean enough to really be worth it.
And if you're using alchohol to make biodiesel, why not just put it in the zippo?

Also, try 70 or 90% rubbing alcohol. It;s a buck for almost a pint of it at rite aid or whever,

farmer john

Reaction score
if theres any wick at all grab it with needle nose pliars amd slowly pull it up normally theres enuff to keep rocking

Reactions: Psi em

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Not entirely related to fuel but would anyone have an alternative to use for a Zippo wick? I'm thinking cloth wouldn't work to well, probably would just burn up ye?
hemp( 2 or 3 small strings woven together) covered in wax. not to much wax though, the fuel still has to be able to soak up through the hemp

Reactions: 40 Hands

40 Hands

Reaction score
Ive got 2 zippos that are dead right now. ill try this out on the crappy one. Im a pretty big sailor jerrys fan, and id hate to muck that one up with anything.

ottawafm

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I used to use gasoline, which you can find enough in gas pump hoses for a zippo, but now I prefer to keep the fuel separate. If I need fire I'll keep a small bottle, the kind that you use for energy shots. Ill fill em' with as much gas as I can gather at a few places, then dip a piece of cardboard in it then light it with the zippo.

Justin Case

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
wow that sounds dangerous. kerosene or diesel has a safer aspect. is this like the anarchist cookbook to make fools blow off fingers to spot them ?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads