'Zine review: "Why Do I Get High? A Drunk Punk Guide To Relapse Prevention Without Gods Or Masters" by Tim Spock

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
20230713_131315_lg.jpg

Based mostly on the Biopsychosocial model (BPS) of disease treatment introduced in the 1970s by the Psychologist George Engel, this is the fourth 'zine by Spock in Microcosm Publishing's Prison to Pamphlet series.

BPS rejects the idea that there's only one path to recovery, including that BPS itself might not work for you.

Since Spock and I started corresponding, I've lost three friends to drug overdoses, and another committed suicide which was how I found out she was using. 'Zines like this are an important part of how we can try to move forward as a society.

Spock delves deeply into Disease Theory and the biology of addiction, psychology, and the social aspects of both substance abuse and sobriety.

Like 'zines in general, it isn't comprehensive, but a great place to start if you're thinking about sobriety, or trying to support someone with substance abuse issues.

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Also, hopefully Spock will be out in 20 months and running meetings on the outside.

In the meantime, you can hit him up at:

Tim Spock 633757
2500 S. Avon-Belden Rd.
Grafton, OH 44044

Or on Getting Out Mobile: 633757

He's also got a supporter keeping up an IG @drunkpunkrecovery and an e-mail address timspock77 at gmail dot com.

Also, if you live in the US and can't afford it now, I've got a few copies of the new 'zine left over from the Seattle Anarchist Book Fair, please message me soon so I can send one to you before I carry it all the way to Chicago just to send it to you from there!

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Is this the same Tim Spock who killed 2 people when he drove drunk through a barrier into a festival crowd in Cleveland back in 2012?

Yes, that's why he's in prison. His first 'zine is about that. He's the only prisoner I've ever corresponded with who believes he belongs in prison. It's a crazy story for sure.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Ya, it's some heavy shit. I've never read his zines but I heard about that when it happened. As someone who's worked countless events my initial reaction is that 14 yrs is kinda light for randomly killing 2 people, intentional or not. On the other hand, I can't think of any real benefit to society to keeping him locked up longer.

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually don't really understand how sentencing works outside of mandatory minimums and three strikes.

A skinhead in Chicago pushed an elderly Asian fisherman into Montrose Harbor and he drowned some years back. He had some priors and still only got a year and a half.

• Sad
Reactions: Big George W

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
  • Useful
Reactions: Beegod Santana

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads