Your Personal Travelling Soundtrack?

DesertRat

Reaction score
I unexpectedly had some free time on my hands today, and randomly wondered the following:

What would be my ideal soundtrack/song list/etc. while on the road?

The only answer I could come up with was: Anything with a good, solid beat. Something to keep up the motivation to keep moving forward.

I'll work on artists and songs later.

What would you or do you have on your playlists for road songs?

P

pigpen

when I first hit the road I had an eighty gig ipod with everything from abyssic hate(depressive black metal) to rye'n clover(cutsie folk punk) but I lost it on my first trip to NOLA(surprise, surprise).

what genre(s) and themes do you typically enjoy?

Edit: no matter which way your pleasure bends, listen to "the band", good road tunes.

DesertRat

Reaction score
when I first hit the road I had an eighty gig ipod with everything from abyssic hate(depressive black metal) to rye'n clover(cutsie folk punk) but I lost it on my first trip to NOLA(surprise, surprise).

what genre(s) and themes do you typically enjoy?

I've got an old 120GB sitting here. How did you keep yours charged? I don't have a wall charger for mine, but I guess any charger with a USB adapter should work, eh?

On mine I have everything from movie soundtracks to rock (AC/DC, Queensryche, etc.) to J-Pop to Trance to Country to a Praga Kahn collab., and the list goes on.

Basically, musically I'm all over the map.

Still only have less than 200 tracks on it.

P

pigpen

the third gen eighty gig I had stayed charged forever, I had the stock charger and stock apple adaptor to plug it into two pronged sockets.

BlogSpot is great for downloading tunes and finding similar artists.

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
The Malakas, Blind Boy Chocolate and the Milk Sheiks, Breakfast with Amy, This Train, mewithoutyou, gipsy.cz, Anya Marina, DI, 7 seconds, Nirvana... I guess just fun music that keeps things positive and keeps me going or that I can scream along to

Reactions: johnnymarie
R

Roosterruler

The Onion Song
by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

So good.

The world is just a great big onion
And pain and fear are the spices that make you cry
And the only way to get rid of this great big onion
Is to plant love seeds until it dies, uh, huh.

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
For me, I love the metal that pisses you off and helps you contemplate gutting an antelope while hitchhiking. Also, I have a heavy preference for those songs or artists that discuss shit that other pussies are too afraid of dealing with.

That being said, I have around 3,550 songs (80% which I legally bought over the years) that are NOTHING but metal. I have not figured out how to make playlists (nor do I care with the 'shuffle songs' feature). Some of what you'll find on my iPod (which is fucked until I can either get the screen fixed or obtain a new one) includes:

• Manowar
  • Lizzy Borden
  • Exciter
  • Stormtroopers of Death
  • DevilDriver
  • Otep
  • Type O Negative
  • Metal Church
  • Motorhead
  • Anthrax
  • Cannibal Corpse
  • Mercyful Fate
  • Hammerfall
  • Jag Panzer
  • Riot
  • Yngwie Malmsteen (fucking awesome concentration riffs)
  • Steve Vai
  • Steeler (Malmsteen's side project)
  • Annihilator
  • AC/DC (I have verified I own every song EVER made - bootlegs too)
  • Anvil
  • Black Flag
  • Biohazard
  • Cirith Ungol
Those are just some artists. I could literally bog down this post with fucking hundreds of forgotten metal bands from '71 onward.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnymarie

Ridire

Reaction score
I listen to songs I can sing while traveling, it helps keep my spirits up and I can entertain others at the same time. As such, most of my playlist is Celtic and Japanese Folk, Cabaret, War-Chant, and Pagan Rock. I've got some Metal, Jazz, and Punk mixed in too.

- Voltaire
- Mercedes Lackey
- Heather Dale
- Heather Alexander/Alexander James (FtM, transitioned in '09)
- Blind Guardian
-Elvenking
-Eluveitie
-Omnia
-Faun
- MaestroRage
- Shadow6Nothing9
- Hosozukuri
- Rin'
- Freedom Call
- Rob Lane
-Murray Gold
-Sabaton
- Dubliners
- Dropkick Murphy's
- The Best of Celtic Music (a bunch of blokes on one album)
- Manau
- Martial
- Kamelot
- Flogging Molly
- Red Union
- Lotus Juice

Hylyx

Reaction score
Brian Eno

Music for Railyards is indeed a great album.

My music is all over the place, but I try to keep a list of stuff to keep my spirits up.
So everything from Turmion Katilot to The Gorillaz to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack.
Variety is the spice of life.

Reactions: crow jane

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I uploaded most of my music to Google Music so I just stream it when I have 3g or WiFi. But I have a little bit of the following:

311, AC/DC, Acid Girls, Agent Orange, Alice in Chains, Alien Ant Farm, Bad Religion, Beastie Boys, The Black Keys, Dead Kennedy's, The Distillers, Drowning Pool, KMFDM, Lil Wyte, Limp Bizkit, Lotus, MGMT, Mindless Self Indulgence, Misfits, Modest Mouse, Nirvana, Incubus, NOFX, Offspring, Papa Roach, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shinedown, Slightly Stupid, STS9, Sublime, Sum 41, System of a Down, Weezer.

I lost a lot of music a while ago when my shit died, but that covers a lot of different genres, which I'm sure many have heard of most those bands.

Reactions: Traveler

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of devil makes three and mischief brew also been digging on flux of pink indians uncarved block. Also grimes, ministry, amebix, fad gadget, gogol bordello. also been diggin into my roots with bowie, adolescents, screamers, bad religion, zounds, vice squad, adicts.

Reactions: kneedleknees

kneedleknees

Reaction score
Website
jollyrogerrunupthemast.tumblr.com
I unexpectedly had some free time on my hands today, and randomly wondered the following:

What would be my ideal soundtrack/song list/etc. while on the road?

The only answer I could come up with was: Anything with a good, solid beat. Something to keep up the motivation to keep moving forward.

I'll work on artists and songs later.

What would you or do you have on your playlists for road songs?
honestly the Tom Waits album Mule Variations is a great roadgoing record. I pick that. I've made a mix of ambient and shoegazy stuff for road trips, got Sufjan Stevens, New Order, Yo La Tengo, Slowdive, and some other stuff like Japandroids to keep you awake

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads