Young anarchist and Wobbly on vagabond trails

Bootbum Henry

Reaction score
Solidary greetings to all you friends and folks on the road!

While researching yesterday about the old and modern Hobo way of life in the USA, I have stumbled accidentally on this site and I am very excited to get involved in this community!

Already for a couple of years I am organized in the syndicalist movement in Germany, last year I´ve joined the german-speaking federation of the IWW and this year I discovered the community of hitchhikers, tramps and vagabonds, I personally feel deeply connected to.

For me it initially may have been a romanticized way of looking at road-life, that brought me into this fascination (especially after reading London and Kerouac), but it grew and grew into a conviction, that I want to strengthen and share.
I was never forced to endure the harsh struggle of involuntary life on the road, I´ve had a stable and secure life so far, BUT I know, that the destructive ways of capitalist order (financial crisis, war, etc.) can eventually throw every regular employee out of his allegedly secure reality.
Thus on one hand I want to understand and help people, that are "falling" through the safety-nets of society, while on the other hand I honestly dont feel home in the middle-class existence, that is served to all of us. I honestly only feel true connection to myself and others, whenever I am in transit, together with other strangers like me, sharing stories and moments together, just to get going and part ways a couple of minutes or hours later.

So in a a nutshell: I want to connect myself with people, learn more about and participate in the many struggles in the US, Europe and elsewhere, and integrate the up- and downsides of life on the road into my biography, to grow as a human being and live by simpler means.

Blah-Blah-Blah-Blah :D Hopefully a not too lofty text, but I guess you get my point.

Take care and get together!

Henry

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
your thread was temporarily held by the anti-spam system, but it's live now :)

Great intro, welcome to the community!

plantgirl0214

Reaction score
Thus on one hand I want to understand and help people, that are "falling" through the safety-nets of society, while on the other hand I honestly dont feel home in the middle-class existence, that is served to all of us. I honestly only feel true connection to myself and others, whenever I am in transit, together with other strangers like me, sharing stories and moments together, just to get going and part ways a couple of minutes or hours later.

I really connect with this sentiment. Great intro and excited to hear more of what you share.

• Love It
Reactions: Bootbum Henry

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads