Yooo

Caro

Reaction score
My name is Caro :) I found this site and i thought it was exactly what i've been looking for. I'm trying to plan a trip this summer where I train hop from Cali to New Orleans and get a taste of the states before i start traveling for real. If you have any advice, it's welcome.

Reactions: todd and Kal
K

Kim Chee

Welcome, Caro!

Traveling from Cali to New Orleans isn't traveling for real? I think that's a pretty good stretch of traveling in itself. I can't wait to hear about your real travels. Which country do you hail from?

Yung yeek

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
stay out of the southern route that takes you close to the border of mexico. start in roseville CA and either go north to portland/seattle and then west from there until minneapolis/chicago or roseville CA thru the west NV/SLC/denver/KC/chicago then south. get railroad maps and also be aware that most railcops know about the catch out spots mentioned. youl learn. enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Caro and Kal

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool! and welcome! Do check out some of our info here in the regional forums too as well as the other forums for information our members have added. Oh, and have fun!!

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Caro

Reaction score
Welcome, Caro!

Traveling from Cali to New Orleans isn't traveling for real? I think that's a pretty good stretch of traveling in itself. I can't wait to hear about your real travels. Which country do you hail from?
I'm from Cali but I'm moving to New Zealand to work for a year and then hopefully France after that

Reactions: todd

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
I'm from Cali but I'm moving to New Zealand to work for a year and then hopefully France after that
Your plans sound super fun. Let me know if you have any questions about NZ or France, I have lived and worked in both countries (see my reply to Wawa's thread about NZ and feel free to hit me up if there's anything specific you'd like to know).

Caro

Reaction score
Your plans sound super fun. Let me know if you have any questions about NZ or France, I have lived and worked in both countries (see my reply to Wawa's thread about NZ and feel free to hit me up if there's anything specific you'd like to know).
Wow. That's awesome. I guess just a general how did you like them? Any places you reccomend visiting?

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Wow. That's awesome. I guess just a general how did you like them? Any places you reccomend visiting?
How did Iike who? Kiwis or Frenchies? (Both are rad, but clarify so I can give you a tailored response, lol.)

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
I mean the contries ( New Zealand and France) sorry about that. Yeah just tell me about your experience
France can be a little tricky to navigate. The French tend to be kinda standoffish if you speak with any kind of English accent - when I was there I lived with my British-born ex who spoke it fluently with no accent and it made things somewhat easier. Depending on how you plan on traveling this may just be something you want to be aware of. The one thing I noticed which I found funny is that French women kind of run the show, haha. They are way bossy and the men are just like "Whatever," lol. The theory is that since so many men died during WWII the women had to take charge of things and it just continued on like that. As far as places to visit, I spent most of my time in the southwest, so obviously I'm going to recommend that general area...there are tons of little beach towns along the coast. Specifically I lived in Royan, which is very near a gorgeous, mostly secluded and uncrowded beach called La Palmyre. Incidentally, half the beach is the nudist section. Just be forewarned, haha. (There's also a great nightclub there called Le Rancho, but unless you want to spend close to €50 a night it's probably not worth your time.) But the beach there is wonderful. About an hour inland is Cognac where you can do fun things like touring the Remy Martin HQ (with free samples galore). Though I didn't spend much time there, Brittany is a gorgeous region with its own specific culture and (Celtic) language. Cherbourg is a cool town to tour, even if you aren't taking the ferry to England - great pubs and seafood. On a practical level, your cheapest food will come from Leaderprice and Lidl's - you can get several meals' worth of bread, cheese and sauciason for like €5. It's also a fun experience to see that McDonald's serves beer over there, lol.

Like I said, I wrote a bunch about New Zealand in Wawa's thread, but to reiterate: quite a welcoming culture and specifically very friendly towards backpackers. I always suggest buying a hop-on/hop-off pass with one of the backpacker buses as this will be the easiest way for you to access the more remote parts of the country. Try to do the Tongariro Crossing though this will depend on what time of year you're there. In the wintertime when the crossing is closed you can go skiing/snowboarding as the mountain also has excellent ski fields. Queenstown is the major tourist town in the South Island but I highly recommend the nearby Wanaka instead - way chiller and just stunningly beautiful. There's the beautiful lake and then Mount Cook right smack there next to it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and enjoy!

Edit: here's the link to the NZ thread.

Last edited:

Caro

Reaction score
France can be a little tricky to navigate. The French tend to be kinda standoffish if you speak with any kind of English accent - when I was there I lived with my British-born ex who spoke it fluently with no accent and it made things somewhat easier. Depending on how you plan on traveling this may just be something you want to be aware of. The one thing I noticed which I found funny is that French women kind of run the show, haha. They are way bossy and the men are just like "Whatever," lol. The theory is that since so many men died during WWII the women had to take charge of things and it just continued on like that. As far as places to visit, I spent most of my time in the southwest, so obviously I'm going to recommend that general area...there are tons of little beach towns along the coast. Specifically I lived in Royan, which is very near a gorgeous, mostly secluded and uncrowded beach called La Palmyre. Incidentally, half the beach is nudist section. Just be forewarned, haha. (There's also a great nightclub there called Le Rancho, but unless you want to spend close to €50 a night it's probably not worth your time.) But the beach there is wonderful. About an hour inland is Cognac where you can do fun things like touring the Remy Martin HQ (with free samples galore). Though I didn't spend much time there, Brittany is a gorgeous region with its own specific culture and (Celtic) language. Cherbourg is a cool town to tour, even if you aren't taking the ferry to England - great pubs and seafood. On a practical level, your cheapest food will come from Leaderprice and Lidl's - you can get several meals' worth of bread, cheese and sauciason for like €5. It's also a fun experience to see that McDonald's serves beer over there, lol.

Like I said, I wrote a bunch about New Zealand in Wawa's thread, but to reiterate: quite a welcoming culture and specifically very friendly towards backpackers. I always suggest buying a hop-on/hop-off pass with one of the backpacker buses as this will be the easiest way for you to access the more remote parts of the country. Try to do the Tongariro Crossing though this will depend on what time of year you're there. In the wintertime you can go skiing/snowboarding. Queenstown is the major tourist town in the South Island but I highly recommend the nearby Wanaka instead - way chiller and just stunningly beautiful. There's the beautiful lake and then Mount Cook right smack there next to it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and enjoy!

Edit: here's the link to the NZ thread.
that's awesome. Thanks I will fosho be referring to this in the future.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads