Yoho A Carribean Life for me... | Squat the Planet

Yoho A Carribean Life for me...

A

AlwaysLost

Wondering if anyone knows anything about being homeless in the Virgin Islands? Is it doable or do the wealthy inhabitants of the island just incarcerate Vagabonds on site or smell.

F

FrumpyWatkins

This doesn't really belong in Oceania (Oceania is the South Pacific). I would imagine like any tourist destination, being homeless on a popular Caribbean island would be a honey hole for panhandling and busking. However I highly doubt the local authorities would tolerate you very long being as that bums are bad for a place's reputation, especially with tourism. Minus regular bum stuff like that I don't see why stealth camping on a Caribbean island would be very difficult. The issue is shit is insanely expensive on a lot of the more touristy islands that don't have a substantial native population. Bermuda (passport required) would be good because in addition to it being a tourist destination, there are regular islander folks who need to purchase groceries at a reasonable price, so there are markets a regular person can afford to shop at.

I enjoy Bermuda, but I'm not sure how long one could last before being deported.

A

AlwaysLost

This doesn't really belong in Oceania (Oceania is the South Pacific). I would imagine like any tourist destination, being homeless on a popular Caribbean island would be a honey hole for panhandling and busking. However I highly doubt the local authorities would tolerate you very long being as that bums are bad for a place's reputation, especially with tourism. Minus regular bum stuff like that I don't see why stealth camping on a Caribbean island would be very difficult. The issue is shit is insanely expensive on a lot of the more touristy islands that don't have a substantial native population. Bermuda (passport required) would be good because in addition to it being a tourist destination, there are regular islander folks who need to purchase groceries at a reasonable price, so there are markets a regular person can afford to shop at.

I enjoy Bermuda, but I'm not sure how long one could last before being deported.

That's what I'm afraid of. Sorry about not knowing where oceans waa someone else posted about the Bahamas in Oceana and I just assumed it meant islands.

Technically they can't deport u from the US VI right or can they since its just a territory

N

Notmyname

Puerto Rico is cool. No passport needed. Plenty of tourism in San Juan to make money then retreat inland and live like a king til you run out and gotta go back to the city. Beautiful island with beautiful people.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to central america since that's probably the closest relevant section...

Reactions: madmcneal
F

FrumpyWatkins

That's what I'm afraid of. Sorry about not knowing where oceans waa someone else posted about the Bahamas in Oceana and I just assumed it meant islands.

Technically they can't deport u from the US VI right or can they since its just a territory

Correct you couldn't be deported, but they could put you on a plane back to the U.S.. I haven't researched USVI but most of those tourist islands have pretty strict residency requirements.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok, I'm reviving this thread, because I just had a 3 hour sesh on google maps researching rail line to florida, and I am now REALLY interested in travelling down to the Caribbean.

Ive read the ferries down to Nassau/Freeport are around $100-$150 and from there I would imagine the ferries get cheaper the deeper you get into the border islands (PR, USVI, ect.)

Anyone know what the cost is living is like down there? I'm sure stealth camping wouldnt be an issue, nor would getting an under-the-table job.

Any experience with how much English will take you down there compared to french/spanish?

I might just get myself into this whole boat pink thing....

FYI I JUST got my passport, so I'm looking at out-of-country destinations.....

D

Deleted member 20975

Ok, I'm reviving this thread, because I just had a 3 hour sesh on google maps researching rail line to florida, and I am now REALLY interested in travelling down to the Caribbean.

Ive read the ferries down to Nassau/Freeport are around $100-$150 and from there I would imagine the ferries get cheaper the deeper you get into the border islands (PR, USVI, ect.)

Anyone know what the cost is living is like down there? I'm sure stealth camping wouldnt be an issue, nor would getting an under-the-table job.

Any experience with how much English will take you down there compared to french/spanish?

I might just get myself into this whole boat pink thing....

FYI I JUST got my passport, so I'm looking at out-of-country destinations.....
My plan is to fly down there somewhere from canada at the end of february then kindof bum around camping on beaches and buying food from local vendors. My guess is sea food and fruit is the way to go. Keep in touch if you make it out there. Maybe we could meet up and give eachother some advice / help. Cheers.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads