Yo | Squat the Planet

Yo

Z

zBzz

I've got the same old story you'll hear from everyone. Can't stand boring bullshit and I sure as hell am not going to live it. That's about it.

I'm working w/ the California Conservation Corps for a time to save up some cash for a vehicle/handle some personal shit, then vamoosh. I'm the hell out of here, man.

Z

zBzz

Welcome , so how do you like working for the conservation corps?
I actually don't start for another week and a half. They provide housing and from what I've gleaned it is a pretty strict living space w/ plenty of rules and a lack of privacy. Though the price they charge for housing/food is pretty damn minimal, so it sounds worth it. They send you all over the state to do some, from what I hear, real grueling conservation work. Some of which involves camping. They'll show me how to use power tools n shit, and I guess a certain work line like cooking or trail making. Which all sounds like it could come in handy, at some point. Maybe?

The biggest downside is that they require people in the program to participate in some kind of school. And since I only have a GED they want me to take classes towards an actual diploma. I think high school is ridiculous and can't pay attention for shit, (flunked straight through middle - high school) so not exactly looking forward to that. Hoping to maybe hawk them into giving me the minimal amount of work they can, possibly.

So yeah, I'm not the happiest chick when I think about some of those things, but I think it will work out just fine. I see it as a stable place to gather some money and maybe see some cool places and work outdoors a lot, which is what I think I would really benefit from at the time.

rootmyth

Reaction score
Welcome Windy Wendy :) The conservation job actually sounds pretty awesome. Maybe they'll have options for classes you can take that are more along the lines of what you're interested in.

See ya around!

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
I actually don't start for another week and a half. They provide housing and from what I've gleaned it is a pretty strict living space w/ plenty of rules and a lack of privacy. Though the price they charge for housing/food is pretty damn minimal, so it sounds worth it. They send you all over the state to do some, from what I hear, real grueling conservation work. Some of which involves camping. They'll show me how to use power tools n shit, and I guess a certain work line like cooking or trail making. Which all sounds like it could come in handy, at some point. Maybe?

The biggest downside is that they require people in the program to participate in some kind of school. And since I only have a GED they want me to take classes towards an actual diploma. I think high school is ridiculous and can't pay attention for shit, (flunked straight through middle - high school) so not exactly looking forward to that. Hoping to maybe hawk them into giving me the minimal amount of work they can, possibly.

So yeah, I'm not the happiest chick when I think about some of those things, but I think it will work out just fine. I see it as a stable place to gather some money and maybe see some cool places and work outdoors a lot, which is what I think I would really benefit from at the time.
That is really strange that they make you get your diploma even though u got a ged ,

Still it's probably going to be a worthwhile learning experience , My dad had a friend who did it years ago and mostly cut trails, Good luck with it , got any plans for what you are doing afterwards
Currently planning on getting a van to live in, though no specific travel plans as of yet. Part of me desires to just get a backpack and go, too. I figure I'll do a bit of thinking while I do this work, and figure it out from there.

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
Currently planning on getting a van to live in, though no specific travel plans as of yet. Part of me desires to just get a backpack and go, too. I figure I'll do a bit of thinking while I do this work, and figure it out from there.
never a bad idea to take your time on that decision, a while ago I was trying real hard working at a restaurant saving up, or trying to , towards a van or truck but Hopes didn't prevail , if your somewhat familiar with basic vehicle maintenance anf you got some lucrative hustle really helps with a lifestyle where your travelling via van. It's still my plan to get a house on wheels someday hopefully

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads