Yeah, I'm a noob, but you gotta start somewhere

Reaction score
What's up everybody?! My name is John, I'm 23, and currently staying in Augusta, GA. (Not much longer hopefully.)

I'm very new at this whole being free thing. Lol. I've finally cut off my shackles after years of being a slave to the man. For a long time I had major issues trying to figure out why I was so unhappy. I thought there was something wrong with me, because I did everything that everyone has told me to do since I was young. "Do good in school, get a degree, get a good job, buy THINGS!!" And it wasn't working. The more I got caught up in the grind, the more unhappy I got.

Needless to say, I realized it was time for a major change. I started to challenge the norm and go against what everyone else is brainwashed to do. And since I quit my job a few months ago I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for living a traveling lifestyle. Doing as much research and all that as I can, and it's really great to find websites like this where I know I'm not the only one out there. Lol.

My plan is to leave here (Augusta) and head down through Florida to try and find some warm beaches down there to chill through the winter. But yeah, if anyone has any tips about hopping out of Augusta and through Florida let me know. Any tips in general would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Ristoncor
P

pigpen

welcome,

don't go to florida. i don't mean like ever, but if you plan on setting out in early july then i would suggest heading north up the coast and enjoying the northeast while the weathers nice. then maybe head south to florida. also if you've never traveled before, the carolinas and virginia just seem in my opinion a better learning ground than florida. and i don't know man but shit, some of the people you meet in florida....that being said i'm from florida.

Reaction score
Lol. I'll keep that in mind. But yeah, I was also thinking about hopping some freights through Tennessee and all that just to enjoy the mountains while it's warm and then headed to south Florida when it starts to cool off.

Reactions: Ristoncor

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
I've traveled through both FL and TN a lot. The former being the better place to hang out in the winter months. If you need any info whilst traveling through either feel free to inbox yours truly.

Reaction score
I've traveled through both FL and TN a lot. The former being the better place to hang out in the winter months. If you need any info whilst traveling through either feel free to inbox yours truly.
Will do man, thanks. I've been through Tennessee a lot too. Just never by freight train. Have you found any good beaches in Florida? Preferably some where it's cool to camp for a few days.

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
Try your luck around Tampa!

notOK

Reaction score
And iffen you're wanting to kick it on the beach a few days, a bedroll is the way to go. Some places don't care about a tent, but flying under the radar is the smartest course. Besides, when it's nice enough to sleep on the beach, why spend the night in a tent anyway?

Anyway, just hitched on down to the Sunshine State, so I'm gonna get some sun, sip some quarties, and tcob.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads