Working, homeless with a dog | Squat the Planet

Working, homeless with a dog

D

Deleted member 2626

i have a van i live in and when i had a part time job, i just quit, my dog stayed in my van the few hours i worked. now if i hit the road hoofin it im not sure what i can do with him if i find a job working for like a store or something where i cant be with him except breaks and lunch. does anyone have a dog and is homeless and works?

baconrind

Reaction score
My dog is the only reason I have a house. He's to fat and agro to take on the road. I was fortunate enough to find a cheap house though. I have people take care of the place while Im gone and get a job and work my ass off during the winter. This way I can travel 6 months out of the year and still have a home full of all my craftiness and instruments. It drives me crazy sometimes but the pooch's hapiness and comfort comes before me.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
try finding some people out of town to board him. if you arent planning on living in a major city, try contacting farms through organizations like wwoof, and see if you can work a few hours a week for them to put up your dog for the day time (assuming your dog is sociable...)

D

Deleted member 2626

thought about if i had a good remote well hidden shelter he could stay in while i work but then i risk someone taking him but that can be a risk even in my van. but im pretty sure ill just do the day labor jobs or somthing where he can stay on the farm or wherever i would work.

E

Earth

Dog comes before everything, always remember that.
Also, a dogs life is completely dependant on the life you provide for it.

You mentioned that you quit your job, but never said why.
That's always a bad idea unless you got something new already lined up, which it sounds like you don't, especially if you have any kind of dependants................
But things can't be too bad if you're still able to get on line.

I have no advice other than I never leave any kind of job no matter how much it sucks until I've got another one lined up, because the welfare of my animals comes first, everything else - including whether I am happy or not - follows...
It's called being responsible.

Good Luck.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I never leave any kind of job no matter how much it sucks until I've got another one lined up, because the welfare of my animals comes first, everything else - including whether I am happy or not - follows...
It's called being responsible.

Good Luck.

"Flipped out good at the plant and split. In 3 months, I have 25 years in that place. Good time to quit / ex would be proud. Now, job search."

D

Deleted member 2626

i dont need to work for a while why save money not to use it. i am in the area of family and can stay at some places and friends but dont too much. i am a bit more now cuz of winter but i spend most time wherever i end up, sometimes on foot most times in my van. I dont work a job i cant stand longer than i have to working a job i dont like is dumb, living lifes a choice so is a job, i have money saved up when i feel low or in need of a job ill get one, i turned in a app already for dishwashin i can do if i need to soon

atlas

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but, I feel like this will help other people who will check out this post. I'm not traveling right now but I've worked at a few kennels and dog daycares and they're pretty much the simplest jobs you can find. Most let you take your dog with you. Its usually shoveling shit and preventing fights. They also often have high-turnover from what I've seen which means of you try one they're likely hiring. Search craigslist a lot of them post there. They usually require your dog to be up to date on vaccines and fixed but it can be worth it and they're usually more lenient with pups so this is an especially good option for those of you with dogs under 6 months old or who've adopted from a shelter. I take my pup with me everyday to work and she has a cool place to chill with lots of water and dogs to socialize with. But, try to avoid the ones in cities that cramp their dogs in rooms. Make sure its an open yard. Makes the job easier on you cos the dogs are less stressed so fights barely break out. Good luck to anyone considering this!

• Useful
Reactions: CrashTestNDozer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads