Wintering in Canada with a bicycle touring setup

Section8

Reaction score
So I'm asking this question about a plan that's years away from being executed, but still gonna ask it.

In a few years time, I plan on getting a bike touring setup and doing long-term bike touring around Canada. I plan on going slowly, I have a big long list of places and things I wanna do. It'll take me a few years to complete it all.

I plan on getting a bike trailer instead of panniers because I'll be bringing along my camping/hiking/backpacking gear.

So, at least once, I'm gonna have to stop and winter somewhere along the way. I'm wondering where and how would be best way to do this?

I've lived in a homeless shelter before, but they usually don't accommodate gear like bikes and trailers. Assuming I have enough saved or find enough work, I could rent a small storage unit. Then winter in the shelter in the shelter I suppose.

I have doubts that I'll be able to find work and even a small apartment because of the housing crisis and insane rents in this country. I remember Ali saying that the best rent prices were in rural praries, so I could focus on that area.

I can do winter camping. I have the experience and equipment to do it. It might be hard finding a suitable site close enough to work or scrounge food though.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any ideas or recommendations?

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe look into Woofing or some other work trade to overwinter someplace. House sitting might be another option if you kind find someone who lives elsewhere during the winter. Maybe check to see if your around any communes or community squats. There are not a lot of them but you might get lucky.

Reactions: Jone

Section8

Reaction score
Maybe look into Woofing or some other work trade to overwinter someplace. House sitting might be another option if you kind find someone who lives elsewhere during the winter. Maybe check to see if your around any communes or community squats. There are not a lot of them but you might get lucky.

Woofing and communes. Thanks mate.

divinar

Reaction score
Victoria bc has the mildest winters. If you have the right gear and can build a decent shelter, you should be okay. There's shelters if it gets two cold, but when it does snow it only lasts a few days. If you go to Victoria, look up the "Victoria cool aid society " they have a temp job program. It's not like the usual temp job places. They don't take any ID or social insurance numbers. You will do a quick interview. As long as you seem like a decent person, they will find you cash jobs. They don't ever take a cut, you are paid cash directly from the employer. They even give you bus fair if needed. I speak from experience, I used the program while homeless in Victoria. Sometimes they even have food and donated clothes.

SneakyWeasel

Reaction score
The main problem I have with the Island & Sunshine Coast during the winter is the rain. That's why I generally hang in the Okanagan &, in the winter, the mountains around Osoyoos.

Jone

Reaction score

Housing or farm sitting is a good bet, with a lot of planning in advance. Many annoying people in the kootnays would love if someone would watch their animals for a few months while they go to Mexico or something. Good luck.

Reactions: laughingman

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads