Wild water sources

Raven1998

Reaction score
Ive been wondering if anyone knew alternatives on the west coast to buying bottled water or filling water up at fountains and what not.
Maybe like wells in national forests or other sort of off road spickets and refill locations.

Cirno9

Reaction score
You can pick up water straight from the streams if you boil it they even have some heavy filters for it if you really wanted to do that (like the oko filter) but there is always a way to purify your water even in the wild all you need is a layer of charcoal, sand, gravel and filter it through there as well. The west coast is filled with nice streams and rivers you can source from.

Hylyx

Reaction score
I really want a lifestraw: http://www.buylifestraw.com/ for just that reason. There are definitely a few places that have natural, potable springs (Manitou Springs, CO and Olympia, WA are 2 of my favorites). But otherwise it's definitely best to filter random water.
And Cirno, while that's good for removing particulates, it won't kill/remove any bacteria. Bleach (8 drops per gallon of water, and let it sit for a bit) or iodine tablets are a sure way of doing that.

Reactions: Tude

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I really want a lifestraw: http://www.buylifestraw.com/ for just that reason. There are definitely a few places that have natural, potable springs (Manitou Springs, CO and Olympia, WA are 2 of my favorites). But otherwise it's definitely best to filter random water.
And Cirno, while that's good for removing particulates, it won't kill/remove any bacteria. Bleach (8 drops per gallon of water, and let it sit for a bit) or iodine tablets are a sure way of doing that.

That thing looks pretty cool! Just had a Field & Stream open up near me - will check it out!

goldendose

Reaction score
I like the Katadyn 'MyBottle' - very similar to that LifeStraw

bleach works.... but from what I gather it should be used only in a last resort/survival sort of situation! Aquamira drops are better for your health

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads