Who else travels with a camera? | Squat the Planet

Who else travels with a camera?

watson

Reaction score
when i head out next month im gonna bring a camera for the first time (its not exactly small) its a cheaper model a $250 a6000. wanting to get a case for it. would a hardcase be worth it? im also traveling with a guitar and a hardcase aswell. gonna be super heavy. anyone have experience with tech and cases whilst traveling?

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I used to travel with a mirrorless SLR (the Sony NEX-5) and loved it for the photo and video quality but it was too fragile for travel, especially freight.

Now I have an Olympus TG5 pointandshoot which is waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof and love how small it is and not having to worry about anything happening to it. The pros of that outweigh the big drop in photo quality. It's honestly not a whole helluva lot better than my phone except in lower light conditions and the video quality is phenomenal (1080p for slow mo videos and I can shoot up to 4k in regular video).

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
for such a (relatively) cheap camera, i think a soft case would be fine.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Soft case & put it inside your pack, ideally in the center not against the inner walls of it. That's all I ever did. If you're not jumping off trains at 10+ MPH(and you really shouldn't be) it probably isn't going to be an issue. I can't imagine carrying a guitar in a hardcase, that's sooo much weight. I'd sooner get a good gig bag with a lot of border padding, even add in some of my own if there's room for it and then just be careful. I'd rather travel light and careful than heavy just so I could be a stuntman.

Reactions: Koala

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Since I sit on my pack a lot and throw it off trains often (moving and stopped), having a decent camera in a soft case just doesn't fit my lifestyle anymore but I used to hitchhike a lot with my Sony in a soft sided case!

You can always change cases or cameras as you go too if it's not workin out for you

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I often forget being well over 6' tall affords me the luxuries of never really needing to toss my bag off anything. I just get off and grab it off the car afterwards. I'd still trade my height to be like 5'3" if I could.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i used to travel with a camera and a laptop quite often, i just learned to keep an eye on my bag and make sure no one tries to sit on it. my first two laptops didn't even have cases, i just wrapped shirts around them. of course i was reaaaly careful throwing my bag off trains, like, gently laying them down on the ground instead of throwing them. never broke anything though.

Baron Fertz

Reaction score
when i head out next month im gonna bring a camera for the first time (its not exactly small) its a cheaper model a $250 a6000. wanting to get a case for it. would a hardcase be worth it? im also traveling with a guitar and a hardcase aswell. gonna be super heavy. anyone have experience with tech and cases whilst traveling?
I traveled with a Pentax k1000 film camera. It has been nicknamed “the tank” over the years so obviously not the lightest or most compact choice.
when I was looking for a camera sling there was a never ending variety yet none of them was what I was looking for. There usually too big or too expensive.
The safest place would be in your pack but if you want to carry it with a sling or something like it I would look at Hex brand slings. They are made for DSLRs and come in two sizes. There’s enough room to carry at least one extra lens but with your camera I would imagine you could fit another.
Now the bag says it’s “water resistant” but it’s really not. Even if it was I would still put it in a dry sack. I found one that had two clips on either end so I could have it as a sling around me.

watson

Reaction score
appreciate the reply's i think im gonna downsize the camera for one of simmiular quality. looking into a point and shoot rx100. that way i can just wrap it in a bandana and throw it in the brain of my pack rather then ahve to worry about a case for the a6000...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads