Who believes travelers are born not made?

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Difficult question to answer. I don't know. :rolleyes:

But I think travelers are born. Okay it's not black or white, of course.

When I think about myself ... I had my first experiences traveling at age of 40 in September this year. No kidding. Did a backpacking trip to UK/Ireland. Slept at hostels, traveling by coaches. Before I was in Vienna 20 years ago and in Utrecht (NL) a year ago - work related. Nothing else.

Two incidents came together: I was unsatisfied with my job (being a full time employee and not a freelancer as I was before) and watching train hopping documentaries on youtube. :D

Don't want to train hop right now. But it got me to read other sites, reddit subreddits, blogs, forum like StP ... :) So I came here ...

Why I think travelers are born: when I think about myself I think I was like a traveler even while I wasn't traveling.

To describe the opposite of me: a guy wanting to have career, making much money. A guy used to have three meals per day and becoming angry if dinner is at 2pm instead of 1pm. A guy who needs 1-2 showers a day. A guy who needs to chill at the couch watching TV to get into the comfortable bed afterwards.

I don't care about money, I do care that I like what I do. Career is not for me. Sometimes I feel a bit weak and then I realize I haven't eaten today and not the day before. Time to get food. I'm fine to have a shower once per week and wash my head and hand only once per day. I don't need to chill at a couch.

I always liked to be outside, strolling the streets, having a coffee here or there, meeting people I know.

Often I slept just on my couch cause I wouldn't care to undress and sleep in my bed.

And as of summer this year I like to sleep outside with just a sleeping bag and a pad in front of out house. :)

Did that for the last two days (about 0°C here). Need to add some cardboard as insulation btw. But other than that it's fine. :)

Okay, to make my point:
I think I was always like a traveler. Freedom, Chaos, and alike. But I was always hindered by anxiety (yes, in my 20s), circumstances, responsibilities I felt bound to and alike.

Did my first trip a month ago and I'm looking forward to do my next in January. This time sleeping rough, hitchhiking and trying to find food dumpster diving. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Reactions: Kal

kidbob

Reaction score
I AM A TRAVELER...
I TRAVELED the cosmos till my parents MADE the VESSAL that allowed me to TRAVEL from the womb.now in this life i travel and when i die ill be travlin....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads