Where my Podcasts at Mutha-luvvers ? | Squat the Planet

Where my Podcasts at Mutha-luvvers ?

roguetrader

Reaction score
I'm after recommendations for QUALITY podcasts - preferably something in the underground / traveller / punk realm - but anything of any kind that has interested or impressed you will be considered... what I don't want is three morons all sat round laughing at their own shit jokes and providing very little content !

thanks to anyone who replies...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm a big fan of Behind the Bastards, a podcast about awful people.

Flip side of the coin is Cool People who did Cool Stuff, a podcast about cool people who did mostly political revolutionary stuff.

ali

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of any podcasts for exactly the reason that most of them end up just being a bunch of boring people laughing at their own jokes. Or doing really deep dives on tedious pop culture stuff. But one that hooked me long enough to get through over 100 episodes was called Pirate History Podcast. I don't know how to link to it in a podcast player, but i listened to most of it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePirateHistoryPodcast

He does jazz what we know from fact up a little bit to make the stories more exciting, but he always lets you know the parts that are more likely to be legend. And for me, at least, someone who knew very little about this era of history before listening, i found that i learned way more about monarchies, religion and colonization. It led me down a bunch of wiki holes too, learning about sailing boats and rigging and the slave trade and the birth of capitalism and modern democracy and other interesting stuff.

Recently i've been following this guy on YouTube who does hour-long Powerpoints about the economics and politics of war: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3ehuUksTyQ7bbjGntmx3Q He was a computer game YouTuber till he did a serious post about the Ukraine war and suddenly blew up for creating a niche where he does dry and analytical takes on macro-level military thought. It's not really a podcast, i suppose, but you can get most of the information without looking at the slides. It's taught me a lot about how people in government think about the military, and the high level strategy of how armies are equipped and what purpose they serve in the modern world.

I think i prefer these kinds of things which are more one person giving a lecture on topics i know little about but still impact aspects of my life or our society today over a bunch of friends' banter. If i want to hear a bunch of unfunny dudes sounding off with there boring opinions i can just go to any bar anywhere in the world, you know?

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

roguetrader

Reaction score
thank you @Matt Derrick - I'm aware of Behind The Bastards but not the Cool People one, so I'll give those a look next time I download a bunch of episodes....

and @ali both your recommendations sound great... I read a lot about military and political history - and also pirates and the whole Age Of Sail era are great subjects... I agree that its much better listening to one person delivering a lecture rather than three dweebs and a load of bad jokes... while I love the open access aspect of podcasts the listings in the app I'm using have no ratings or review system, and there is no distinction made between the amateur podcasts and the better produced 'professional' content - so I've waded through a lot of dross to find some good stuff....

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

roguetrader

Reaction score
well @Matt Derrick these are the podcasts I've been listening to lately...

 Backlisted - this is a discussion about great 'lost' books that never got the recognition they deserved upon publication...

Bureau Of Lost Culture - interesting tales from the counterculture of the 1960's up to the present day... subjects include the history of LSD use, interviews with Alan Moore and Michael Moorcock, also the modern squat rave scene and more...

Sean Attwood's True Crime - I got interested in this guy coz he's from my home area and later moved to Arizona, where he got caught smuggling huge amounts of Ecstacy into the US and served a long stretch under Sheriff Joe Arpaio ! he's now an author on a crusade against the futile War On Drugs and also educates people about the prison industry in America and the unbelievably high incarceration levels your countrymen experience ! his podcast is mainly interviews with reformed criminals that are now trying to do good in the world...

Lynora

Reaction score
Favorite podcast of all time is The Ground Shots Podcast . The official subtitle is that it explores our relationship to ecology through storytelling. It's basically a nomadic gal who's very involved in the wild herbal/medicinal world interviewing friends, many of whom are or have been nomadic and/or live off the land more or less. Episodes focus on wild crafting, folk storytelling, through hiking, indigonous perspectives, herbalism, and people's individual histories.

Other favorites are:

On Being which basically focuses on the meaning of life and human connection from a non religious lens.

The Dirtbag Diaries--this one can have the hosts laughing at their own jokes too much, but it's worth it to listen to folks' stories. Mostly people who are on the podcast are transient and work in the outdoor industry (ski bums, rock climbers, hikers, bikers, etc) and are telling the story of how they came into the lifestyle, a trip that they did, someone who influenced them to live this life, etc. Safety Third , a different podcast by the same group of folks has similar topics, and also a three part series called Dirtbag Romance that is pretty great.

Folk Craft Revival is the last one I'll recommend. Super interesting if you like the idea of making your own stuff, home butchery, yurt making, winter camping, etc. My favorite episode is called Integrating Traditional Skills into Modern Life.

Hope this is helpful! Happy listening!

• Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Tobiko

Reaction score
heres some I enjoy regularly:

Free Radical Radio- “anarchists, nihilists, and outlaws recording and writing for our own entertainment”
main site Free Radical Radio – anarchists, nihilists, and outlaws recording and writing for our own entertainment - https://freeradicalradio.net/
old tumblr site with older episodes Free Radical Radio - https://freeradicalradio.tumblr.com/

The Brilliant- “a podcast on anarchist theory”

Anarchy Bang- was “a weekly call in show of anarchy”

Immediatism- “essays provocative and incendiary”

• Useful

bote

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of any podcasts for exactly the reason that most of them end up just being a bunch of boring people laughing at their own jokes. Or doing really deep dives on tedious pop culture stuff. But one that hooked me long enough to get through over 100 episodes was called Pirate History Podcast. I don't know how to link to it in a podcast player, but i listened to most of it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePirateHistoryPodcast

He does jazz what we know from fact up a little bit to make the stories more exciting, but he always lets you know the parts that are more likely to be legend. And for me, at least, someone who knew very little about this era of history before listening, i found that i learned way more about monarchies, religion and colonization. It led me down a bunch of wiki holes too, learning about sailing boats and rigging and the slave trade and the birth of capitalism and modern democracy and other interesting stuff.

Recently i've been following this guy on YouTube who does hour-long Powerpoints about the economics and politics of war: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3ehuUksTyQ7bbjGntmx3Q He was a computer game YouTuber till he did a serious post about the Ukraine war and suddenly blew up for creating a niche where he does dry and analytical takes on macro-level military thought. It's not really a podcast, i suppose, but you can get most of the information without looking at the slides. It's taught me a lot about how people in government think about the military, and the high level strategy of how armies are equipped and what purpose they serve in the modern world.

I think i prefer these kinds of things which are more one person giving a lecture on topics i know little about but still impact aspects of my life or our society today over a bunch of friends' banter. If i want to hear a bunch of unfunny dudes sounding off with there boring opinions i can just go to any bar anywhere in the world, you know?
thanks for this, pirate episodes here

• Love It
Reactions: ali

train in vain

Reaction score
White Centipede Noise

Nick Forté has made waves in the noise world in the last few years with his forward thinking projects GREEN TEA and HALF MORTAL, though he has been at the forefront of progressive underground music since the early 90s as guitarist of pioneering hardcore band RORSCHACH, and is a current member of RASPBERRY BULBS, among countless other projects. In this episode, Nick sheds light on his rich musical history, and shares the passion and mastery behind arriving at his final form - Harsh Noise. In the Patreon exclusive EXT., Nick discusses post production techniques, his time working as a product tester for Electro Harmonix, and expands on GREEN TEA even further. Nick also shared the exclusive GREEN TEA track "Trails Of Helvella."

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads