What's the hardest part about starting out?

Reaction score
I would say the hardest part starting out if going into this with any expectations only to have them dashed in the first few days by bad weather, ass crack chaffing and getting fucked over by people with not enough to do in their own lives. It's okay to be romantic about this, but don't forget that survival is paramount and the world can be incredibly cruel to those who are either not prepared for it or who feel they are owed something.

Also, and I'm serious, dodge getting locked up as much as possible. Few people if any do this forever and a criminal record will bar your entry back into the clean world in ways you probably don't expect. This is especially true given the new age of state surveillance.

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org
The hardest part for me was:
-actual preparation
-realizing Id never have enough time to prepare perfectly
-timing it exactly right and with the right intent and circumstances
-being courageous enough to take the leap in the first place

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would say the hardest part starting out if going into this with any expectations only to have them dashed in the first few days by bad weather, ass crack chaffing and getting fucked over by people with not enough to do in their own lives. It's okay to be romantic about this, but don't forget that survival is paramount and the world can be incredibly cruel to those who are either not prepared for it or who feel they are owed something.

Also, and I'm serious, dodge getting locked up as much as possible. Few people if any do this forever and a criminal record will bar your entry back into the clean world in ways you probably don't expect. This is especially true given the new age of state surveillance.

The hardest part for me was:
-actual preparation
-realizing Id never have enough time to prepare perfectly
-timing it exactly right and with the right intent and circumstances
-being courageous enough to take the leap in the first place

Both are SPOT ON responses. This most recent trip I've been on made me complain consistently about the ass chafe, heavy pack, and supposed schedule I was on.

I cant stress enough how much proper research and preparation will take you when it comes to traveling. I'm too damn old now to just wing it.

G0PN1KB0T

Reaction score

This is a serious thing right here. Failing a background check for that good job someone offers you is one of those moments when it doesnt matter who you are now, and what you are about. But who you used to be and what you used to do. It will always haunt you. Remember STOP means RUN!!! Dont stop running even when you are sure you will be caught. And if you decide to not run, never admit to guilt, and be as courteous and respectful as possible. Sometimes your attitude and demeanor will determine if you get a Felony or a misdemeanor, or even just a stern warning.

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Remember STOP means RUN!!! Dont stop running even when you are sure you will be caught.

I would say this is dependent on the situation...what you are currently in the act of (if any act at all)...and a multitude of other factors. This shouldn't be an 'all the time' piece of advice....the BLM movement exists for a reason. Many, MANY times, if you run and know for a fact you cant get away, the cops will tack on an 'Evasion' charge...and that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

And if you decide to not run, never admit to guilt, and be as courteous and respectful as possible.

100%.
Judge the situation, act appropriately. I'll just straight up stop before a cop turns around, casing my dirty ass with a huge pack in the middle of the night...in the middle of a neighborhood I have no buisness being in...next to a train yard...and bust out my ID. The surprise on the cops fact is kind of rewarding....the again, I ain't got warrants.

Sometimes your attitude and demeanor will determine if you get a Felony or a misdemeanor, or even just a stern warning.

I dont know the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony... but ya. This is sound, great advice. I wish more people would heed by it.

I knew a dude for a while, we camped for a bit together, and drank a shit ton....one day we were out by a yard and the cops rolled up, caught us red handed, not only blatantly tresspassing, but drinking in public as well.

Cops asked the cop questions...I was polite and respectful, "yes sir, sorry sir, wont do it again sir...goota fine SOME place to drink our beer..."

But my friend pulled some serious 'fuck the police' shit RIGHT as the cops were telling us to leave and have a safe night.

I watched them hone in on him...I had to interrupt and straight up tell my friend, "SHUT THE FUCK UP! THEY ARE LETTING US GO!"

My friend backed off, and the cops straight up said, 'you just saved your friend from going to jail...'

needless to say...not chilling with that dude anymore. I will never understand how some people think they can win by talking shit to cops. Dont do it. Record shit if you can, and take mental notes. Police are the most dangerous organized gang in the US. They dont give a shit about your cock-measuring contest, their metaphorical 'cock' is like...horse status.

G0PN1KB0T

Reaction score
I would say this is dependent on the situation...what you are currently in the act of (if any act at all)...and a multitude of other factors. This shouldn't be an 'all the time' piece of advice....the BLM movement exists for a reason. Many, MANY times, if you run and know for a fact you cant get away, the cops will tack on an 'Evasion' charge...and that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

100%.
Judge the situation, act appropriately. I'll just straight up stop before a cop turns around, casing my dirty ass with a huge pack in the middle of the night...in the middle of a neighborhood I have no buisness being in...next to a train yard...and bust out my ID. The surprise on the cops fact is kind of rewarding....the again, I ain't got warrants.

I dont know the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony... but ya. This is sound, great advice. I wish more people would heed by it.

I knew a dude for a while, we camped for a bit together, and drank a shit ton....one day we were out by a yard and the cops rolled up, caught us red handed, not only blatantly tresspassing, but drinking in public as well.

Cops asked the cop questions...I was polite and respectful, "yes sir, sorry sir, wont do it again sir...goota fine SOME place to drink our beer..."

But my friend pulled some serious 'fuck the police' shit RIGHT as the cops were telling us to leave and have a safe night.

I watched them hone in on him...I had to interrupt and straight up tell my friend, "SHUT THE FUCK UP! THEY ARE LETTING US GO!"

My friend backed off, and the cops straight up said, 'you just saved your friend from going to jail...'

needless to say...not chilling with that dude anymore. I will never understand how some people think they can win by talking shit to cops. Dont do it. Record shit if you can, and take mental notes. Police are the most dangerous organized gang in the US. They dont give a shit about your cock-measuring contest, their metaphorical 'cock' is like...horse status.
I've had the same experience with someone who couldn't hold their tongue. It ended with them getting tazed and going to jail and me walking home.

We got stopped together and it was one of those moments when I politely insisted on invoking my rights and remaining silent, minus producing an Identification card. And my old friend just couldn't hold it together. He kept talking and talking and slipped up on something. Then when the officer confronted him on his lie. My friend got loud and ended up on the floor with a tazer shot to the torso. I felt bad for laughing, but even worse when it gave the officer probable cause to search us both. Solely based on my friends action.
Before he made it to me I respectfully declined and invoked my 4th amendment right. I kindly asked the officer if I was being arrested or detained and what for if that was the case. He said I am detaining you and arresting him for obstruction and resist. I asked the officer if I could just leave because his actions had nothing to do with me and whalla. I was walking home. Now I felt bad about this one, but at the same time he dug the hole, and I chose not to fall in with him. Most of the time being polite and not a know it all talking to them in a respectful non argumentative manor works.
Other times you end up in jail with them, but that's a story for another day.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads