What's the hardest part about starting out? (1 Viewer)

Cussock

Title explains it all pretty much. I wanna be prepared for whenever I'm ready to catch out of this shitty town, so tell me what I can expect.

(Side question, is Candles a good traveler name? I know some people think they shouldn't be chosen, but I dunno, I kinda like it.)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
From observing this crowd for some months, hardest parts are finding beer and resisting the siren call of Greyhound. And probably sleeping outside if you're not used to it.

OP
Cussock

Cussock

From observing this crowd for some months, hardest parts are finding beer and resisting the siren call of Greyhound. And probably sleeping outside if you're not used to it.
Probably about right, but I meant specifically about taking the plunge, or preparing for it specifically.

MetalBryan

Vagabond
For me, the hardest part is breaking my dependence on being housed-up with a p-t job that provides for this. I got my last pieces of gear in December... but it's almost warm enough now that I don't need the winter sleeping bag. I've got enough savings for a grand adventure, but still can't take the first step out the door. What I'm saying is there's a thousand excuses and rationalizations between me and that first step.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you spent any time at all searching this website for the answers to the questions you have? There is a search icon up ^^^ there somewhere and if you click it you can search by forum, or click the gear icon for advanced search features.

I can guarantee most of them have been answered.

Coming on here like "tell me what to expect" is not going to be taken well from the people who have put alot of time and effort into posting content on here:

Preperation for traveling

Check out that link and read the posts in there, then, if you really feel like you can get prepared, go to the "Travel Stories" section, read some of those. Especially the ones that talk about how dangerous train hopping can be.

Then go to the "Train Hopping" forum, and read every thread that is relevant to where you are going.

All the info is on here, and if you are not willing to have the patience to read it before asking members to retype it, you are probably not going to have the patience for hopping trains.

Welcome to StP.

Last edited:
OP
Cussock

Cussock

Have you spent any time at all searching this website for the answers to the questions you have? There is a search icon up ^^^ there somewhere and if you click it you can search by forum, or click the gear icon for advanced search features.

I can guarantee most of them have been answered.

Coming on here like "tell me what to expect" is not going to be taken well from the people who have put alot of time and effort into posting content on here:

Preperation for traveling

Check out that link and read the posts in there, then, if you really feel like you can get prepared, go to the "Travel Stories" section, read some of those. Especially the ones that talk about how dangerous train hopping can be.

Then go to the "Train Hopping" forum, and read every thread that is relevant to where you are going.

All the info is on here, and if you are not willing to have the patience to read it before asking members to retype it, you are probably not going to have the patience for hopping trains.

Welcome to StP.
It really is the little things that you miss. Thanks for commenting!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
In most cases the name yer parents gave you is fine. There is really no need to come up with a silly road flag for yerself.

After 15+ years of calling people punk rock/traveler nick names it's pretty refreshing when I meet someone who says their name is john and not "skidmark", "floppy ankle pete" or "tunajam". Yes, those are all real actual names that people have introduced themselves to me as.

For me the hardest part was always finding decent weed. Not so much an issue in legal states these days but it can still be a bitch down south.

OP
Cussock

Cussock

In most cases the name yer parents gave you is fine. There is really no need to come up with a silly road flag for yerself.

After 15+ years of calling people punk rock/traveler nick names it's pretty refreshing when I meet someone who says their name is john and not "skidmark", "floppy ankle pete" or "tunajam". Yes, those are all real actual names that people have introduced themselves to me as.
That’s... big yikes. Sloppy Ankle Pete? How on earth is that a good idea? But aside from that, the allure for me is the ability to re-invent myself. You feel me?

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
That’s... big yikes. Sloppy Ankle Pete? How on earth is that a good idea? But aside from that, the allure for me is the ability to re-invent myself. You feel me?
Yea no I get it. I'm just saying you dont need to give yerself a new name like candles to change whatever it is yer looking to change.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Yea no I get it. I'm just saying you dont need to give yerself a new name like candles to change whatever it is yer looking to change.
right @Cussock this is what i'd deem "superficial" but whatever floats your boat, just don't hold back, regardless of whatever someone calls you (unless it's late for dinner ehehehe)

Barf

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Well, I feel silly now...

Kid, don't ever mix spicy Indian food and yuengling.

It isn't worth it and they'll never let you live it down..

OP
Cussock

Cussock

Well, I feel silly now...

Kid, don't ever mix spicy Indian food and yuengling.

It isn't worth it and they'll never let you live it down..
You poor, poor soul. Living it down might be the wrong phrase though. More like KEEP it down... or in. If you catch my drift.

OP
Cussock

Cussock

right @Cussock this is what i'd deem "superficial" but whatever floats your boat, just don't hold back, regardless of whatever someone calls you (unless it's late for dinner ehehehe)
I'll be the first to admit it really is superficial, for all intents and purposes. But I dunno man, I just like the sound of it :D

roguetrader

Vagabond
One thing you gotta understand is that changing from Johnny Square Kid to Candles The Muthafuckin' Nomad is a gradual process that takes many years - don't expect to gen up about vagabonding on the internet and then run into a phone box and come out in a crust lord costume ready to outwit the yard bull and the FTRA - if you go too hard to quick you'll probably get out of your depth and hate it !

also please remember that asking a million questions online will never be a substitute for real experience in the real world - what works for some people may be totally wrong for you...

and finally I'd totally recommend setting out on your travels with a friend or two - being cold / wet / broke / hungry is horrible on your own but actually fun in good company !

When I see things like this I remember a younger version of myself -- it seems like the traveling lifestyle appeals to you more as a means of finding an identity than it is actually traveling. Case in point: you're worried about how a self-selected name is perceived among the community.

In which case I'd say the hardest part about starting is figuring out who you are. If you're in melancolia now solely because of your geographic location, traveling will help. If you're in melancolia for other reasons, the endorphin rush of riding around on a piece of steel will dissolve fast and you'll be left with the realization -- probably while cold/drenched in rain/hungry/heartbroken -- that you still aren't happy.

All that aside, there are so many infinite resources on train-hopping on the internet. Get to googlin'!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$85.75
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $85.75 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $85.75 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Salut la famille! Im new here so here's a bit about me!

From France but in Montreal Canada for school so rn only hit the road btw semesters. I do Middle East Studies + Anthropology. challengin af to sit in a classroom again but hey i glad i got to expand my horizons that way, In Quebec I did a bit of wandering tnks to the Great Trail I hitched but mostly walked. Rn Im based in a shack btw river and forest
plein d'amour
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Anybody watching the SpaceX launch today?
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.
MFB wrote on Older Than Dirt's profile.
Just wanted to say you look waaay better in your new avatar pic. ;) You clean up nice!

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$85.75
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Awren