what's in your med kit? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

what's in your med kit?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Too much to list. I didn't raid my work's first aid wall boxes for 6 months before I quit. ;)
SETTING: @Preacher's old place of work
All of the sudden, it starts hailing box-cutters and tiny slivers of wood. People are getting minor lacerations and splinters left and right. Several employees run to the first aid kits on the walls.
EMPLOYEE 1: It's empty!
EMPLOYEE 2: This one just has a scrap of paper saying "See ya, suckers!"
ALL EMPLOYEES, in unison: DAMN YOU, PREACHER!

SETTING: a parking lot somewhere far away.
Preacher wakes up in his van on a bed of gauze pads and alcohol wipes. He laughs as he pushes past a mountain of medical tape rolls to get to the door.
PREACHER: And no one will ever be the wiser.

Curtains closes and audience bursts into applause.

This has been StP Theatre. Next week: @Odin travels in time and drinks absinthe with Van Gogh. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
FUCK...

:cool:

Don't you know?... don't knock the green fairy.

ab15.jpg

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
YOu BAstards,

abs.jpg

T

TheOddAnarchist

Finished mine today
-alcohol wipes
-Gauze
-Ace bandage
-Band aids
- anti bacterial cream
-Allergy,cold, anti diarrhea pills
-Ibuprofen
-Bengay
-Pin X for worms

anything else i should add? What's a good small thing for maybe staph?

Decrepit

Reaction score
Medical grade scissors x2
hemostat (medical clamp)
tourniquet
medical bone cutting scissors
gauze in many sizes
several cling wraps
medical tape x2
bendable/flex splint
needle and sutures (stitches)
scalpel
cpr pocket mask
home made triangular bandages from fabric for slings
finger splint
bio hazard bag
eye puncture "doughnut hole" bandage secure
a surgery kit with includes a lot..

spoorprint

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one rocking a tourniquet and some hemostatics for serious bleeding. Butterfly closures are great, I've found them in pharmacies as of late, so they are becoming more common, though if you really need something stitched together, I'd go with a medical stapler before I fool around with a sewing needle. I also carry many 2x2 gauze pads, a stretch bandage, tweezers, medical shears (useful for cutting any kind of fabric and cheap- and spoorprint, they do make mini-medic shears, too) 2 pairs of exam gloves, alcohol, rescue remedy (to calm injured people down), tea tree oil, honey, and a few odds and ends. As you can tell, I'm a former street medic. I'd carry more if I were actually medicking or traveling though.
I've been looking at tourniquets. What brand would you recommend?

Chaseur

Just a vagabond, singing the song of freedom
Reaction score
Firstly, you don't actually use a needle or get stitches when you use butterfly closures. I once got a NASTY laceration on my knee, all you do is put them on and then pull the skin together using the extra sticky to fold them and hold the skin together, effectively allowing your skin to heal together. They're nice, I didn't even scar.

Secondly I have a whole bunch of things in my First-Aid kit, a wilderness first-aid manual, an accident record and pencil, an assortment of adhesive bandages (butterfly closures too), an assortment of gauze pads, a roll of gauze, larger wound pads, sponges and a roll of medical tape, an elastic bandage, antiseptic towelettes, triple-antibiotic ointment, iodine wipes, antimicrobial wipes, sting-relief wipes, burn cream and hydrocortisone cream, antacid tablets, ibuprofen tablets, acetaminophen tablets, allergy-relief tablets, safety pins, latex-free medical gloves, bandage scissors, splinter forceps, and a resealable waste bag.

The kit is pretty small too (7 x 5.5 x 2.75) inches, and weighs just under a pound.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Not so much in the way of an actual first aid kit, but I usually have food type items that double for medical stuff. Vinegar is the big one; kicked a nasty staph infection with it. Everything gets cleaned with vinegar. Honey I've used very effectively for a bad burn, ginger for nausea, garlic to get over a cold fast...supposedly will get rid of some parasites if you can keep raw garlic down on an empty stomach, but I've never been sure enough if I had the worms or not to know if it worked
Yeah raw garlic will knock out a nasty cold most of the time. If you mix the raw minced garlic in some yogurt or sour cream, which will coat your stomach, it is easier to keep down half a bulb of raw garlic.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
i'm really into cohesive bandages at the moment ; Like this kind of thing, it sticks to itself but not to your skin -
http://www.wilko.com/first-aid/wilko-blue-cohesive-bandage/invt/0348502

So useful on humans and on my dog as it doesn't stick to her fur. You can use it as support for sprains but it's also really good for holding on dressings.

I also really like zinc oxide tape as it stays stuck really well but can be removed easily without pain unlike some plasters (Sorry bandaids!), you can also rip it so don't need scissors to cut it which is a bonus and it's pretty cheap too.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Sharp tweezers! I have this mini-tweezer that has a sharp point and precision, flat edges. Pulled many splinters out and saved my ass from many infections. A must have for me.

D

Deleted member 20

Nothing! I use hand sanitizer for infection control (found in all portajohns & many restaurants). I feel that keeping myself washed including cuts & abrasions helps everything. I guess I have electrical tape in my pack at all times so I could improvise a bandage with some toilet paper or napkins, I always have zip ties, 55o cord & a belt as well if i needed a tourniquete. Hopefully I pass out from shock & someone else ties it & or calls 911 for me. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound a cure.I havent gotten injured much in my life so I guess my common sense & situation is the best ounce of prevention I can carry with me.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I had an accident about a month ago whilst flint knapping arrow heads. I was using a piece of antler to strike the flint and stupidly hit the top of my thumb really hard. So hard I managed to split the underneath of my thumb open and there was blood everywhere. Anyway, after a few days it started to get infected even though I was doing my best to keep it clean. A friend gave me some Propolis tincture to put on it and I have to say I was sceptical but that shit worked wonders. Within a few hours it stopped throbbing and when I took the dressing off in the morning it had completely dried it out and the infection had pretty much gone.

So I now have Propolis tincture in my first aid kit.

• Sad
Reactions: EphemeralStick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads