whatcha reading right now?

tagvolatile

Reaction score
finishing up white oleander, then hitting the library for some bukowski n a few classics.

menu

Reaction score
Im about ready to start the book "A long strange trip" by Dennis McNally. its a biography of the grateful dead. heard nothing but good stuff about it. cant wait to pump it out

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Currently chowing down on the Jesus I Never Knew by Phillip Yancey. And then maybe Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Friere. I found it for a quarter, and want to read it before my next semester because it's a major work which is good to have in mind in conflict and international development studies.

D

Deleted member 1802

The Bible, Wall street and the rise of Hitler, Speaker for the Dead- Orson Scott Card, 15 battles that changed the world. I have a strange habit of reading a lot of books at once.

READ!!!!

William Blake- The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

I was going to start a post about this but I'm glad I lurk, since its right here!

vegetarianathan

Reaction score
The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche. Again.
Also looking to reread Children Of Hurin by Tolkien, and reread Civilization And It's Discontents by Freud. My 3 favorite books at my public library. Love 'em. Although I don't necessarily agree with all of Nietzsche's writings, or Freud's theories. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
drown - junot diaz

i love latin american writers (i don't think there's a better group of writers ever than the latin americans) and junot diaz is making waves right now so i bought this book on a whim. pretty good so far. it's a collection of short stories telling some kid's life story.

little_owl

Reaction score
The Secret Life of Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali. It's a mix of non-fiction and fiction. I don't even like Salvador Dali much and his pompousness, arrogance, contrived individualism, commercialized/sensationalized way of selling himself is really annoying but it's still interesting to read.

makinglovetomontreal

Idealist
StP Supporter
Reaction score
"we" by eugene zamiatin

its a really good dystopian novel--largest influence to orwell for 1984-great book, by the way, if you haven't read it, READ IT!!!

also reading "the diamond sutra" pretty good zen buddhism stuff, if you're into that

trotsky

Reaction score
keep reading The Brothers Karamazov on and off, it gets a bit dry sometimes.
Just finished Illusion: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull dude) though. It was pretty damn great.

M

Mouse

The Politics of Jesus, by John Howard Yoder.

sounds interesting.

i had a book called The son Of God, how jesus became a national icon.

intersting to see how the common perception of who jesus was and what he stood for changes through the ages

M

Mouse

The Secret Life of Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali. It's a mix of non-fiction and fiction. I don't even like Salvador Dali much and his pompousness, arrogance, contrived individualism, commercialized/sensationalized way of selling himself is really annoying but it's still interesting to read.

sadly, that's the only way to make money off your art. and he sure as hell did

menu

Reaction score
I just started another new book called "Tales From The Joint" by K.Hawkeye Gross. its the second book after his first one called "Reefer Warrior". kinda like blow but with weed. and a much better story I think. this book is about his time in jail the other is about the actual smuggling part of it. I highly reccomend it. also he has a book called "Drug Smuggling: the forbidden book"

moe

Reaction score
leaves of grass, walt whitman, notes from underground fyodor dostoevsky, and walden.
also, a few issues of last act of the circus animals, barcelona, manifesto zines. dirty plotte comics,c. burns d.clowes graphic novels. it's all good.;]

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
Intellectual circle jerk, you say? YOU BET I'M IN!

Zen Training, Methods and Philosophy by Katsuki Sekida; Proper zen posture is way more uncomfortable than I had previously thought.

Flawless, Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History by Scott Selby and Greg Campbell; I have a bit of an obsession with locks, safes, and electronic security and the way these guys bypassed all that security is so genius it just blows my mind.

El Borak, And Other Desert Adventures by Robert E Howard; Haven't actually cracked this one open yet but REH is by far my favorite writer and I'm sure it's gonna kick ass.

Technically I should mention the "South Dakota Driver License Manual" because I'm reading that too. I'm 21 and figure it's probably about time to get my learners permit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads