what up brothers and sisters | Squat the Planet

what up brothers and sisters

lawlee

Reaction score
long time dreamer of hitting the open road, bird in a cage or maybe just a penguin that cant fly haha anyways savin up to get the resources I "need" to live the life of a nomad. I'll start rubber tramping first as I have an older dog. There will come a time I'll join my soul as a wanderer of this land. IT'S EATING ME ALIVE. Mad props to all of you that are out there livin. if anyone needs help or comes through East Texas holler at me

Gideon

Reaction score
Website
www.gideonthestoryteller.bandcamp.com
long time dreamer of hitting the open road, bird in a cage or maybe just a penguin that cant fly haha anyways savin up to get the resources I "need" to live the life of a nomad. I'll start rubber tramping first as I have an older dog. There will come a time I'll join my soul as a wanderer of this land. IT'S EATING ME ALIVE. Mad props to all of you that are out there livin. if anyone needs help or comes through East Texas holler at me
Get out there and hit the road! Whadaya waiting for?

Reactions: Barf

Ameris

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
East Texas??
I'm down in Dickenson / Galveston,restoring / repairing a 38' Trimaran for a first cruise into the Caribbean this Spring.
Work is coming along well. Check the thread here:
At the present moment I can't offer the the original terms I had hoped for. It won't be until she's seaworthy that I can moor on my own terms.
However... if someone is local enough & doesn't need a place (although for a proven, honest individual itcan be provided at some point), I can offer $15 an hour for handiwork, but not entirely sure of what the hours would be.
I'm not too far from finished.
However..
I'm looking to do deep water / trans-oceanic sailing when I'm done with her, & proven deck hands are top of list.

Ameris

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
BTW, done many, many years if rubber tramping & travel by foot, but this boat build is opening up huge areas of knowledge regarding materials and methods pertaining to vehicle construction.
Even if you aren't interested in sailing, what you would learn in construction techniques could put you decades ahead of what you would learn if you working strictly on RVs or automobiles.
I'm 61 & I wish I knew this shit when I was 25.. huge, huge potentials, just in understanding the materials.
Engine & other power train issues are also apparent, but still have the same basic elements.
This epoxy, fiberglass, plywood sculpture methodology stuff, though.. it's just an unexplored region of the universe, for me.
I've done automotive fiberglass body work, but this is something else.
The next RV I build will be an absolute fucking tank : )

In any case, a huge number if tools & a chance to learn skills for independence.

Good luck!!
A.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@lawlee I'm in Austin if you ever come through here. Leaving on a road trip with another friend in March if you feel like going west (we're going to slab city, up the coast, back across to the NE).

lawlee

Reaction score
BTW, done many, many years if rubber tramping & travel by foot, but this boat build is opening up huge areas of knowledge regarding materials and methods pertaining to vehicle construction.
Even if you aren't interested in sailing, what you would learn in construction techniques could put you decades ahead of what you would learn if you working strictly on RVs or automobiles.
I'm 61 & I wish I knew this shit when I was 25.. huge, huge potentials, just in understanding the materials.
Engine & other power train issues are also apparent, but still have the same basic elements.
This epoxy, fiberglass, plywood sculpture methodology stuff, though.. it's just an unexplored region of the universe, for me.
I've done automotive fiberglass body work, but this is something else.
The next RV I build will be an absolute fucking tank : )

In any case, a huge number if tools & a chance to learn skills for independence.

Good luck!!
A.
Yo that's awesome to hear. I worked at boat shop before and found out just how many tiny tiny parts are involved in boat motors!! I was just telling my friend the other night how I kinda wanna have a houseboat, live on the water, swim whenever I want. I'll holler at you if I come down that way! Appreciate the offer man

lawlee

Reaction score
@lawlee I'm in Austin if you ever come through here. Leaving on a road trip with another friend in March if you feel like going west (we're going to slab city, up the coast, back across to the NE).
That's sick! I'll keep that in mind🤙 been wantin to head out to slab city for some time now

Ameris

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
Cool beans!
The boat is coming along, but a bit more involved than originally anticipated. No big deal, though, since all it takes is work.
Ameris (the Trimaran's name), is pretty big, but not houseboat size. Tom (who owns the moorage & his two stilt cabins) had one in here years ago, and just from the photos the thing was huge.

I'm bringing her back to sea worthiness, with hopes of the Pacific, although she may have to remain in the Atlantic.
It's funny. I know nothing about boats & my first one is a gift of nearly 40 feet.
I think the Gulf & east coastal waters will be a good place to learn, but my plan is to start pretty well much right off with extended trips, once I test & prove my repairs.

If you (or anyone else) feel like a visit, HMU. Coffee's on me

; )

lawlee

Reaction score
@Tony G Man I know! Each new place I go to the pull is stronger and stronger, I have things I gotta take care of first. I'm so fucking addicted already cant imagine what it's really gonna be like when I make the big jump

lawlee

Reaction score
@Gideon I'm waiting for bullshit society stuff I'm caught up in atm, its tearing me up man, in the end tho the open road will be there so for now I make do with a few days here an there in the woods at the lake

Last edited:
Reactions: MxEx and Gideon

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like me.... the woods and the river. "Big Top" brick with roof place with picnic tables to chill at or pass out on top and so many other areas to chill even deeper in the woods campfire spots and all.... have not been there for overnight in a minute .... wonder where all my fellow slackers are.

Its cold but I'm feeling healthy. Maybe make time to make an expedition to the wild sanctuary in the midst of the concrete jungle.

If I could be a bird I'd be an African Grey Parrot... sometimes I'd wear an eye patch... and talk smack while perched in front of the local Dive Bar. Ha..

Welcome and Good Luck to you!

Last edited:

lawlee

Reaction score
Sounds like me.... the woods and the river. "Big Top" brick with roof place with picnic tables to chill at or pass out on top and so many other areas to chill even deeper in the woods campfire spots and all.... have not been there for overnight in a minute .... wonder where all my fellow slackers are.

Its cold but I'm feeling healthy. Maybe make time to make an expedition to the wild sanctuary in the midst of the concrete jungle.

If I could be a bird I'd be an African Grey Parrot... sometimes I'd wear an eye patch... and talk smack while perched in front of the local Dive Bar. Ha..

Welcome and Good Luck to you!
lmmfaoooo! dude i don't even want to be a penguin! but hey cold weather birds cant complain much ig. haha greys are badass, that's definitely a scene to laugh at. id be a cockatoo right there with you lmao. I found 2 amazing spots at the end of these roads and then you walk thru the woods then bam a big ass lake with sand beaches. fucking amazing, i plan on camping there soon and just head to work from there. I love cold water immersion, shit gets me lit just like some beer or mead! skald!!! but yeah get out there and make a fire dude

• Love It
Reactions: Odin

lawlee

Reaction score
Cool beans!
The boat is coming along, but a bit more involved than originally anticipated. No big deal, though, since all it takes is work.
Ameris (the Trimaran's name), is pretty big, but not houseboat size. Tom (who owns the moorage & his two stilt cabins) had one in here years ago, and just from the photos the thing was huge.

I'm bringing her back to sea worthiness, with hopes of the Pacific, although she may have to remain in the Atlantic.
It's funny. I know nothing about boats & my first one is a gift of nearly 40 feet.
I think the Gulf & east coastal waters will be a good place to learn, but my plan is to start pretty well much right off with extended trips, once I test & prove my repairs.

If you (or anyone else) feel like a visit, HMU. Coffee's on me

; )
hell yeah man! I grew up exploring the gulf coast! sargent beach, matagorda bay is my spot. you can go for miles and not see one person. there's all kinds of sea life out there too, whale sharks, tiger sharks, big ass fish to eat, dolphins! I'm happy you got that going for you, i was all thinking bout gettin a small ass flat bottom lmao. i got some coffee right now so cheers mate. Hope it all works out and when i got time ill come see what the hell you gettin into!

lawlee

Reaction score
@Gideon michigan eh? i have family up in middleville, my dad grew up on gun lake. As a kid i got to see lake michigan and could not believe it was a lake! im used to seeing the other side lmao. always wanting to go back to MI!

Gideon

Reaction score
Website
www.gideonthestoryteller.bandcamp.com
@Gideon michigan eh? i have family up in middleville, my dad grew up on gun lake. As a kid i got to see lake michigan and could not believe it was a lake! im used to seeing the other side lmao. always wanting to go back to MI!
It definitely feels more like the ocean when you're on the great lakes. Fresh water, but big waves and big horizons. I'm glad I got to grow up here. If you come back hit me up I have a farm here and can put up some travellers for a little. Happy trails

• Love It
Reactions: lawlee

lawlee

Reaction score
Hi! My fam (kid and dog) will be tramping through East Texas in April (Beaumont-Austin-back east), it would be fun to hang if we are in your area.
Hell yeah I'm down to meet up. If your dog and kid arecool with swimming I'll show you a couple of spots around here!

Reactions: FawnGone

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads