What to do, What to do.

infekt

Reaction score
Hello STP. After discovering this forum and lurking here for awhile, I have finally made an account.

First, a little about myself. I'm from New Orleans, LA. I graduated high school (17), and moved to northern Louisiana for college. Its not that I didnt like New Orleans, it was that I had always lived there (except for a brief stint in Birmingham), and I just wanted something different. Two years into college (19), I realized I had made a mistake. I shouldn't have gone to school. The road was where my heart was. At the end of that year, I took the summer, hit the road, and lived out of my car for two and a half months.

Though I loved the sense of freedom, I decided to finish my degree, since I was already half done. Yes, I know how everyone on this site feels about degrees and fire. But I was half done, and the degree was a useful one (Computer Science), so I decided to stick it out. The next summer (20) I decided to go traveling again, but this time, I met one of the coolest people I've ever known, a traveler named David, and I spent roughly half the summer hopping with him.

Again I decided to go back and finish my degree, despite knowing that it wasn't really what I wanted to do. Well, over the next two years, I completely lost myself in the system. I forgot what was important to me, and was really unfulfilled. On the upside, now, after 5 years of college (22), I have a degree in computer science. I've been accepted into grad school (with a free ride), and I've been offered jobs.

Well, now the yearning for freedom has come back to me, and I am at a total loss as to what to do. I know I NEED to be back on the road (preferably hitching this time), but I'm having trouble working out when or how. I'd like to get my Masters, and if I don't do grad school now, I'll be giving up my free ride. Also, I can't just quit on life at this point, because I have students loans I'll need to pay off, and a lease.

So essentially, my options are:
A) Drop everything, pack a bag, leave. Give up free ride to grad school, deal with student loans when they come, and try to find someone to take over my lease.

B)Go to grad school. Get Masters. pack bag, leave. Deal with student loans when they come.

C) Get Job, pay off student loans, live as I want.

D) B+C. This would be optimal, but I'd like to not be in my 30s before I can really experience traveling life.

TL;DR
Sorry for this massive post. I completely understand if noone reads it. I'm asking for advice, but at the same time, there is a concept in CS called Rubber Duck Debugging. The basis is, you describe your problem to a person or an inanimate object and this act helps you resolve your issue, even if the object or person can't. So, offer advice if you have it. If not, thanks for lending me this space to think.

0ddity

Reaction score
I'd say FUCK IT, just go. You already have more than enough education to get a decent job just about anywhere. We only live once man, enjoy it while you can before you are too old.

Menyun

Reaction score
It really depends on you man... Well, and the people around you. It's really hard to break the mold of what others think you should do and when you do its really hard not to get back in line with their expectations after being critisized... As far as the degree, Masters degree's are overrated (atleast in the computer science industry). It really comes down to knowledge and exp. at the end of the day. Most companies would take a BA w/ 2 years exp. over a Masters w/ none or even someone with no degree and 6 years exp. over both of them... So that masters is pointless unless you are looking to be a part time professor at a community college. Life is what you make of it... everyone is given a short time on earth and then its on to whatever is after death if their even is anything so whats the point in slaving away. Everday you waste wondering what if, or whatever it is you think that makes you unhappy, is a day wasted... Live your life man if the road is calling to you grab your gear and go and just don't give a fuck what anyone has to say at the end of the day its your life so they can piss off. Although I will say this if you bolt and don't pay on that loan your credit will go to shit. which will be somethin you'll have to face later on. So it comes down to is it worth it.. how hard will it be to get your credit back up.. What kind of family expectations do you have.. etc. etc.

infekt

Reaction score
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I've made my decision. I'm leaving, but not immediately. I have certain obligations I can't simply walk away from, so I'm going to wander around a bit this summer, probably in New Orleans, then take some time and fulfill them. Once that's done, sometime around November, I'm going to pack up and head out. Not sure where I'll be going. Probably just tour the south a bit until winters over then head towards Seattle or Portland.

If you meet me on the road, I'll be going by Stoney. Be nice, I'm a newbie. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads