Question What features would you like to see manifest on StP?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, this is just one of my periodic threads where I check in with the community to see what people want out of StP, or what they're hoping to find here, or what you'd like to see happen here. This could be anything really, sky is the limit, even if it feels a little absurd, I'd love to hear it.

This could be anything like changes in the community itself to specific features you'd like to see happen here. Feel free to make suggestions like "what if we had... a b or c section or feature" etc. Also, if there are current features you don't want to see go away (something that you like a lot) please mention those as well, that will be helpful to me to know what is going well here in addition to things that need to change.

I'm gearing up to start testing of the new message board software to make sure it lives up to our needs, so I'd like to know what needs you find most important. Thanks in advance for your time!

Glass Roads

Reaction score
A few ideas I have... Might be better might not be

* A flea market forum section where people can sell their art or used gear or whatever.

* I think having an animated banner below the squat the planet logo on the home page would be a good idea. Something that linked to the Etsy and had pictures of the different stuff play in like a slide show type thing.

* I think tags would be useful on posts. Like #sleepingoutside #gearideas #events, that sort of thing

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
A flea market forum section where people can sell their art or used gear or whatever.

I think that's a great idea and I will add it to the planned list of changes. Thank you!

I think having an animated banner below the squat the planet logo on the home page would be a good idea. Something that linked to the Etsy and had pictures of the different stuff play in like a slide show type thing.

I do plan on making one rotating banner like you describe, instead of the 2-3 static ones we have on the site now.

I think tags would be useful on posts. Like #sleepingoutside #gearideas #events, that sort of thing

Long answer, but the new forum software we are moving to will be tag-centric rather than category-centric. The end result will be a website that is largely organized by just a few categories, probably about 5 to 10 maximum. The rest of the threads in those categories will be organized entirely by tags.

Users will be required to pick two to three tags when creating a new thread from a list of pre-determined tags. If a tag you want to use is not on the list you should be able to suggest that tag and it will be available for everyone to use on moderator approval.

I'll probably limit tagging in Threads to maybe a maximum of 10 tags or so just to keep things organized and avoid having threads with 50+ tags.

So ideally, the bottom or top of each thread should have a few tags related to the discussion in that thread that you can click on to see more threads with that tag.

So if I make a thread about squatting in Berlin, Germany, and add #berlin #germany #squatting you should be able to click on any of those tags.

I think this would be especially useful for locations (I.e. I want to see every thread tagged #SanFrancisco) but should work just as well for anything else.

So yeah, as I said, long answer, but your request is going to very much become a reality :)

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'd like a section for humor where you/we could consolidate jokes, memes, epic but not harmful threads where people get banned, etc.

Can you elaborate on that a little? We've had some meme threads in the past, is that what you're referring to?

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that a little? We've had some meme threads in the past, is that what you're referring to?

Yes. A consolidation of humor under it's own category or sub-category. Perhaps there isn't enough content to justify it, but if there were a separate category there might be more? For example, if someone relatively new didn't know about that thread, they might think it inappropriate to just post a random image or meme. I know how tedious "den of the banned" became and understand it's removal, but some of those were a hoot.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yes. A consolidation of humor under it's own category or sub-category. Perhaps there isn't enough content to justify it, but if there were a separate category there might be more? For example, if someone relatively new didn't know about that thread, they might think it inappropriate to just post a random image or meme. I know how tedious "den of the banned" became and understand it's removal, but some of those were a hoot.

Since I'm working on consolidating the 40+ categories we currently have down to 10 or less, this sounds like it would be more appropriate for a tag? like #memes or #humor? I haven't decided on the categories yet, but I imagine we'll have something like 'culture' as a category and those tags just mentioned as tags in that category.

I'll also try to make an obvious link to all the available tags on the board, so people can cruise threads that way as well.

• Thank you
Reactions: MetalBryan

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
A few ideas I have... Might be better might not be

* A flea market forum section where people can sell their art or used gear or whatever.

* I think having an animated banner below the squat the planet logo on the home page would be a good idea. Something that linked to the Etsy and had pictures of the different stuff play in like a slide show type thing.

* I think tags would be useful on posts. Like #sleepingoutside #gearideas #events, that sort of thing

Oh, I like that idea!

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I'd like to make sure everyone knows of my Outreach if they're in my neck of the woods.

I can buy an inexpensive meal for those hungry on the road. I can also provide toiletries, clothes and sometimes, shoes.

I can also point you to places while traveling that you can stop in for some free popcorn and coffee and other helpful things.

I can't offer much, but I do what I can.

Be blessed, y'all and feel free to reach out to me anytime! If I don't catch you here (this Crone can't always keep up with you youngins on social media. Too fast for me!) I'm on Instagram (@Matt Derrick ...I followed you) as melungeonwanderlust or you can always email me fathercedarssister@email.com

Love and peace!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads