What are you currently reading?

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I've read a lot of Kerouac and I personally thought Big Sur was waaaay better than On the road. I also enjoyed The Dharma Bums, but everything else just seemed boring to me. You can kind of tell when he lost the fire. I think Jack London's The Road blows Kerouac's On the road out of the water- but that's just an opinion.

Jack London-Martin Eden is excellent. White Fang, To build a fire, The Sea Wolf are all great works of literature.

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
I'm always looking for book recommendations. This year I had the goal of reading 100 books, I've got 2 to go. I'm currently finishing up Sartre-Being and nothingness.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

How to see yourself as you really are : by 14th Dalai Lama (for spiritual growth)

Stardust : by Neil Gaiman (beautifully written fantasy)

Protector : by Larry Niven (sci-fi immersion)

Hats off for 100 books!! Amazing!! My slow reading pace restricts the amount I get through! Haha

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
@troublefunk Thanks for this recommendation- How to be a stoic by Massimo Pigliucci!!!

The one book I recommend more than any other is Marcus Aurelius-Meditations. It's the closest thing to a Bible that I have. Ryan Holiday also wrote a great book concerning Stoicism called The Obstacle is the way.

Reactions: troublefunk

troublefunk

Reaction score
@troublefunk Thanks for this recommendation- How to be a stoic by Massimo Pigliucci!!!

The one book I recommend more than any other is Marcus Aurelius-Meditations. It's the closest thing to a Bible that I have. Ryan Holiday also wrote a great book concerning Stoicism called The Obstacle is the way.
How could i forget Meditations!! I do own a copy and it is a classic.Brilliant book you can refer to on a daily basis.
Massimo Pigliucci also has a great blog also called how to be a stoic which is always worth a read.

Mrcharwe

Reaction score

Marcus Aurelius Meditations is a favorite of mine also. I like that you can just flip it open read a few thoughts and go back to your day.

anyiki

Reaction score
Website
fantasy-spaces.info
i love this!!
reading is the best, trying to read it all read it often and be humble -- the more ya know the more ya know ya dont know, and the more interesting and complex things become

reading:

the tipping point: how little things can make a big difference -- malcolm gladwell (interesting dig into social psychology, broadly applicable and useful when considering how things get passed around in society, don't always vibe with author's perspective or lack of analysis in his examples but its interesting)

just read:

lakota woman -- mary crow dog
black elk speaks as told by john g neihardt -- john g neihardt
invisible cities -- italo calvino (such a treat for exercising the imagination)
indian givers -- jack weatherford
10th of december -- george saunders
how the irish saved civilization -- thomas cahill
genghis khan and the making of the modern world -- jack weatherford (highly recommend so interesting !! and as a result of his research and publishing of this book he won mongolia's highest honor -- the order of the polar star [ which upon further investigation looks like they straight up created for him in a national attempt to support understanding of mongolian culture] for detailing a history of the country that has been repressed by foreign dominance for so long)

up next (to choose from):

the power -- naomi alderman
empire of the summer moon -- s. c. gwynne
mitakuye oyasin "we are all related" -- dr. a. c. ross
the state of native america: genocide, colonization and resistance -- various authors
iroquois diplomacy on the early american frontier -- timothy j shannon

i love books, goddamnit !!!

more than the book itself, i'm really enjoying being recently in love with reading again (after a break post-shove-it-down-your-throat-school-reading) and trying self-guided curriculum meanderings across topics... anyone else on this path?

on a semi-tangent beyond books but concerning learning and reading, i just opened my first solo art show and created a little online mini-encyclopedia i'd love to share here if people are looking at some topics to dive into reading/learning about! the show revolves around fantasy and escapism and contemplating how/when/why we engage in fantasy to disengage in our surrounding realities, and how we (the royal We) can (and historically have) used fantastic ideals to cross over and transform our realities (ie. places like the slabs). the website is at http://fantasy-spaces.info and i'd be honored if folks checked it out -- i'm not too tech savy but my goal is to get it editable by anyone (who keeps it respectful! and who isn't a bot) so resources can be added to the further material section of each topic, so folks can immediately watch a cool movie on a topic they're curious about, insert a suggestion for a related thing, read more papers, go to events around it, etc. etc.. If this all sounds wildly confusing, sorry it probably is, but if you check out the website i think it'll be clear. topics covered in light depth (with resources for continued learning) range from afrofuturism and science-fiction to land-based occupations and micronations to biohacking to drag to drugs to meditation to space colonization to transformation festivals, and more. i'd really love any feedback if anyone checks it out!!

keep reading keep learning keep questioning !!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads