What are some unexpected issues with traveling with a dog?

J

Johnny P

I've had Animal Control Officers tell me that most traveling dogs they meet are the most well cared for, well trained, and loved dogs. They recognize happy, well cared for animals and often don't even worry about tags, there are exceptions of course.

J

Johnny P

Another thing I worry about with my dog is small children wanting to pet him when they see him...a lot of times without parent permission.

One time my cur snipped at a little girl that suddenly pawed him on his face, all love of course, but he doesn't like that and he snarled and snipped...I saw it all happen and tried to intervene but children are quick! I was however immediately able to immediately put my dog in his place. I immediately apologized to the mother of the child, who also had been slow to react and had been unable to control her child. Gratefully she was understanding and we were able to teach both the child and the dog a lesson The little girl learned not to run up to random dogs without asking first, and the cur, well he learned that he is absolutely NOT supposed to snip at children...they ended up being friends:)

Knowing your dogs temperament is important. You should know if your dog doesn't like children, or other dogs, or doesn't like being touched a certain way. My dog doesn't like being patted on the top of the head by strange men and will get kinda rowdy, so when people ask to pet him I warn them of such.

D

Deleted member 2626

Ah ha yes same here man my dog doesn't like being approached by other dogs too quickly and or people getting in his face. Typically when people ask to let their kids that are his face height I kindly decline. Dogs are funny about things just like people

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads