Wanting to start traveling the rails | Squat the Planet

Wanting to start traveling the rails

TheSquirmingCoil

Reaction score
Hello! I moved out to Raleigh NC back in July of 2019 from Iowa. Recently found Stobe Hobe on YouTube and have become very curious and fascinated by the freight hopping traveling. I Dont have much going on as far as anything I need to be around for and I would really like to fully prepare myself for one of these journeys. I've been learning some info here and there and started reading the Anarchist guide to traveling. Something pulls me to this kind of travel and I don't want to regret never doing it. If anyone around raleigh would consider possibly being a guide in the future that would be incredible. I'm doing my research and trying to get as much info as I can as I know it's a dangerous thing to pursue. Thank you for reading and any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Some pointers:

-Freight hopping is incredibly dangerous, and the internet has turned a way of life for many, into a weekend outing for people who have no idea what they are doing. Of you have watched Stobe's videos, you should know he had a very laid back approach to riding, and it eventually caught up to him. Do not take this activity lightly. Bad things that could happen are: Death by train, death by exposure, death by tweeker/gang member, jail time, a record....you get my point.

-You can seriously get all of the info you need to about this online, and much of it on here. Do AS MUCH as possible on your own before starting to ask for help from others. Peoples experiences, advise and wisdom are incredibly helpful, but it goes a long way to prove you have done your due diligence before asking to be spoon fed information

-go through the entire train hopping forum and read everything before considering this endeavor further

-be prepared to do a lot of reasearch, sit for hours or days on end without any gratification, deal with cops/tweekers/homebums and other incredibly jovial members of society, and essentially becoming a ninja

Good luck, and welcome to StP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Joey Garbanzo
D

Deleted member 8978

Indeed! On top of that, you might lose a few pounds off your waist being you have to walk miles all the time. Still, it's important to be aware of what you have around you when you need a drink or something to eat.
Repetitive train hopping builds great muscle mass .

d34dl13

Reaction score
Hello! I moved out to Raleigh NC back in July of 2019 from Iowa. Recently found Stobe Hobe on YouTube and have become very curious and fascinated by the freight hopping traveling. I Dont have much going on as far as anything I need to be around for and I would really like to fully prepare myself for one of these journeys. I've been learning some info here and there and started reading the Anarchist guide to traveling. Something pulls me to this kind of travel and I don't want to regret never doing it. If anyone around raleigh would consider possibly being a guide in the future that would be incredible. I'm doing my research and trying to get as much info as I can as I know it's a dangerous thing to pursue. Thank you for reading and any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!
I'm wanting to learn the same. I'm near Cincinnati, Oh so if you ever make it up this way let me know.

TurboArmatron

Reaction score
Website
www.pdxhrc.org
Find someone with experience to hop with you so your safe. Your boy Stobe got killed by a train and he was the most knowledgeable hobo I've been around

D

Deleted member 30226

I won't get deep into the rail riding side of things here as when you get cleared head over to the hopping forum. With that said, Raleigh is a target rich environment for hopping. Hell, two yards in between Five Points and Seaboard Station. Find you a good area and watch them come in and out. Travel around the area and key to the double tracks and the signals and watch those. Get a feel for what trains are. Breath in DEEPLY the creosote as that will be your life if you choose it. Hit some free meals to make sure that you are comfortable with the sub-culture because the tracks are going to be 1000 times more rough when it comes to interactions. Learn the language --- types of cars, why there is a W on some of the white signs, and throw a couple of Hang 10 hand gestures to engineers when they come by. If they throw you water, you MAY be ready to START to think about riding. Get your gear ready. Walk with it a LOT so u are road ready. Learn to cook coffee and omelets out of empty beer cans when you cut the lids off with a P38. Don't have one? Amazon sells them cheap. I prefer the P58, though. Take a couple of days and treck the woods with your gear and break it in good. We call it a shake down cruise so u can work out all the kinks --- shit like weight disbursement, what socks work good, how to use ziplock bags to protect your Ramen so they don't bust out everywhere. Get a rail name --- a catchy one not some two bit homeguard name like Boxcar Red. LEARN to walk on the ballast --- gravel. Surprisingly, long term walking on it fucks u up initially. Break in your boots and lather them with Snow Seal (about $4 on Amazon). Learn the geo areas you want to ride to and what is available between here and there.

Now, with all of that said, it is NOWHERE near what you need to do/know to prep to break your cherry for hopping. People are inherently evil. Make no mistake about that. Inner city yards are fucked up because you have the city element. Most hobos, by in large, will not fuck with you provided you remember that the IDIOT LIGHT comes on at 6pm under the bridge. That means before sunset, UNLESS you trust those u are with, get the fuck to your camp. If you are going to bring a weapon, make SURE you are ready to use it. Chances are good that if you draw down, that knife or goon stick may be taken and used on YOU. I prefer flares, but that is a whole different thread.

Finally, just don't be a dick. Don't act like you know shit if you don't. Generally, an old timer will take you under the wing in exchange for making the store runs and shit. Regardless, when you make it over to the train forum, ask away. I am in and out of there and generally sober enough to answer questions. ;)

TurboArmatron

Reaction score
Website
www.pdxhrc.org
I won't get deep into the rail riding side of things here as when you get cleared head over to the hopping forum. With that said, Raleigh is a target rich environment for hopping. Hell, two yards in between Five Points and Seaboard Station. Find you a good area and watch them come in and out. Travel around the area and key to the double tracks and the signals and watch those. Get a feel for what trains are. Breath in DEEPLY the creosote as that will be your life if you choose it. Hit some free meals to make sure that you are comfortable with the sub-culture because the tracks are going to be 1000 times more rough when it comes to interactions. Learn the language --- types of cars, why there is a W on some of the white signs, and throw a couple of Hang 10 hand gestures to engineers when they come by. If they throw you water, you MAY be ready to START to think about riding. Get your gear ready. Walk with it a LOT so u are road ready. Learn to cook coffee and omelets out of empty beer cans when you cut the lids off with a P38. Don't have one? Amazon sells them cheap. I prefer the P58, though. Take a couple of days and treck the woods with your gear and break it in good. We call it a shake down cruise so u can work out all the kinks --- shit like weight disbursement, what socks work good, how to use ziplock bags to protect your Ramen so they don't bust out everywhere. Get a rail name --- a catchy one not some two bit homeguard name like Boxcar Red. LEARN to walk on the ballast --- gravel. Surprisingly, long term walking on it fucks u up initially. Break in your boots and lather them with Snow Seal (about $4 on Amazon). Learn the geo areas you want to ride to and what is available between here and there.

Now, with all of that said, it is NOWHERE near what you need to do/know to prep to break your cherry for hopping. People are inherently evil. Make no mistake about that. Inner city yards are fucked up because you have the city element. Most hobos, by in large, will not fuck with you provided you remember that the IDIOT LIGHT comes on at 6pm under the bridge. That means before sunset, UNLESS you trust those u are with, get the fuck to your camp. If you are going to bring a weapon, make SURE you are ready to use it. Chances are good that if you draw down, that knife or goon stick may be taken and used on YOU. I prefer flares, but that is a whole different thread.

Finally, just don't be a dick. Don't act like you know shit if you don't. Generally, an old timer will take you under the wing in exchange for making the store runs and shit. Regardless, when you make it over to the train forum, ask away. I am in and out of there and generally sober enough to answer questions. ;)
That is a pretty easy hop out but man those CSX routes can be frustrating like a mother fucker. Not like out west where you can easily tell where your train is going. That was good advice though. Following those basic principles you've outlined will take you far. Still think having someone experienced with you while you learn is super important though.

FawnGone

Reaction score
Everything Coywolf said.
Basically, just do it. You can read about shit forever but there are so many variables and every experience is different. Understand the basics, be sober, be prepared for anything, and just enjoy it.
Ideally you go with someone's who's done it before, but if you're smart you can figure it out. Just don't be an idiot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30226

That is a pretty easy hop out but man those CSX routes can be frustrating like a mother fucker. Not like out west where you can easily tell where your train is going. That was good advice though. Following those basic principles you've outlined will take you far. Still think having someone experienced with you while you learn is super important though.
I concur brother. An experienced rider is always the best. They can train you and critique you. And if they do NOT yell at you they are not helping you. Great input my friend!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads