Want a backpacker's guitar? Try the Guilele | Squat the Planet

Want a backpacker's guitar? Try the Guilele

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet....
But.... anyone who's looked into getting a Martin backpacker's guitar for traveling with knows that although they are very lightweight, they don't resonate worth shit - so they aren't the best for busking, when you want to play loudly and be heard from a distance.
This is where the guilele has the martin beat. While perusing a local music store the other day, I came across some of Cordoba's guileles (a backpacker guitar that is the size of a tenor ukulele, but tuned like a guitar). I was really surprised at how well the sound resonated and how light they were. I tried a few, but the Cordoba Mini O series was my favorite. - The only possible downside is that although it's tuned in standard guitar tuning, it is not in the same key (E, A, D, G, B, E) as a guitar, but is tuned slightly higher at (A, D, G, C, E, A)...so you'd have to use different chords when playing with another guitar or have them use a capo. But Cordoba does make other backpackers guitars that can be tuned in standard tuning - I just have tried them out yet. I think the Mini O is a pretty decent price for the construction of the instrument and just wanted to pass this info on to anyone considering buying lightweight, small, and good sounding guitar to backpack with.
guilele.jpg

buffalobill

Reaction score
True that I've seen what your talking about I have a backpacker 2 in fact they are hard to be heard by many however I enjoy the smaller one though most people can not play it effectively because it is soo akwardill post a pic of it tomarrow I also have a berritone ukulaalr and that us dope same tuning its DGBE

Reactions: iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 2626

Nice I almost bought a backpacker off CL for 75 bucks. But then found a FirstAct kids guitar which was tiny then. Carry "practice" guitars a lot. Smaller than full size by a lot and not very heavy and easier and cheaper to find at flea markets

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Guileles are always fun. For the most part any guitar tab will work for them provided said tab works for acoustic guitar. CL often will have at least 1 guilele for sale so if buying used is your thing check there first.

Reactions: iamwhatiam

Durp

Reaction score
Maybe. I am weird about pics online. Some of the folks I met from here Irl know what I'm talking about. If I find any pics I'll load them up.

K

Kim Chee

Like this?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/msg/5133290563.html
Cordoba guitar ukulele travel mini guitar - $95 (Centerville)
00303_9wWLbxjRkex_600x450.jpg

make / manufacturer: Cordoba
model name / number: Guilele
size / dimensions: tenor uke
Cool little instrument, Guilele. sounds like a uke, plays like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret, same basic size as a tenor ukulele.
Less than a year old, do not use it much well taken care of, good condition.
comes with a matching gig bag which has pockets and shoulder strap.

shabti

Reaction score
This is what I use. Frets are standard length apart, headless, built in headphone jack with clean and distortion. They have acoustics too. Fixed a few laptops and got a used one for a third of the price.

http://www.travelerguitar.com/

Mine is the red eg1
Here's a funky colored one.

maxresdefault.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads