wanderlust

youlookguilty

Reaction score
Hey everyone, cool community you have here.

I stumbled on STP while making a google search about how to hop freights. Something I've always wanted to do since a few punks from my high school did it back around 2006. I've never caught out, but have plenty of experience with wandering around freight yards, track lines etc around MA, NH, ME. I've painted graffiti off and on since I was a teenager and have always just had a general interest in trains and all of the abandoned stuff that one usually sees around a train yard.

My plan is to try to get across the country. I'm located right now in massachusetts. I know of a straight shot a friend told me about from the central massachusetts area to Chicago Which would probably be my first leg of the trip. From Chicago, I'd like to go to Denver (have a few friends down there and I just love Colorado in general).

Eventually I'd like to make it to Oakland/SF/Bay area. Never been there and always heard it's a really rad place (well maybe SF isn't that rad anymore but I'd still like to go). From there, I want to go up to Seattle and back east via the infamous high line through montana... Back down to Chicago and back east to Massachusetts.

My only concern is, I'm a student right now and will need to be back home by mid August at the latest. I have a nest egg (tax return) that I can probably make last me the whole trip and potential for an emergency bus ticket home just in case I'm in a pinch for time. So my question is, how long do you all think this journey would take? Or to simply go across the country. I know there's several things to factor in here and there is no definite answer, but maybe a ballpark estimate of how long this would take? I don't plan on just stopping anywhere and chilling for more than 2 or 3 days.

Also, if anyone would be interested in meeting up/traveling together I would love that. I'm at an age now where lots of my friends are settling down to the norm/sedentary life so I want to meet new people who still have that wanderlust in their souls. As for me, I'm pretty easy to get along with. I love hardcore, punk, and heavy metal music a little bit of hip hop too. Graffiti and art in general is a huge passion of mine (I plan on documenting this trip on a super 8 camera. Outdoors stuff, hiking, camping, climbing.. literature, eastern philosophy, Just a knowledge junky in general. I smoke weed pretty regularly, I drink socially and sometimes have a few while chilling, but not a full blown party animal. Not a whiner, not a coward, can deal with shit situations and stay composed.

TL;DR: Trying to get from MA to the Bay area of California this summer (mostly oakland) up to Seattle, back east to Minneapolis, down to Chicago, and back east to MA. How long would an experienced train hopper estimate this trip would take? Also, if you're interested in meeting up, send me a PM!

Reactions: SammyG

SammyG

Reaction score
Hey everyone, cool community you have here.

I stumbled on STP while making a google search about how to hop freights. Something I've always wanted to do since a few punks from my high school did it back around 2006. I've never caught out, but have plenty of experience with wandering around freight yards, track lines etc around MA, NH, ME. I've painted graffiti off and on since I was a teenager and have always just had a general interest in trains and all of the abandoned stuff that one usually sees around a train yard.

My plan is to try to get across the country. I'm located right now in massachusetts. I know of a straight shot a friend told me about from the central massachusetts area to Chicago Which would probably be my first leg of the trip. From Chicago, I'd like to go to Denver (have a few friends down there and I just love Colorado in general).

Eventually I'd like to make it to Oakland/SF/Bay area. Never been there and always heard it's a really rad place (well maybe SF isn't that rad anymore but I'd still like to go). From there, I want to go up to Seattle and back east via the infamous high line through montana... Back down to Chicago and back east to Massachusetts.

My only concern is, I'm a student right now and will need to be back home by mid August at the latest. I have a nest egg (tax return) that I can probably make last me the whole trip and potential for an emergency bus ticket home just in case I'm in a pinch for time. So my question is, how long do you all think this journey would take? Or to simply go across the country. I know there's several things to factor in here and there is no definite answer, but maybe a ballpark estimate of how long this would take? I don't plan on just stopping anywhere and chilling for more than 2 or 3 days.

Also, if anyone would be interested in meeting up/traveling together I would love that. I'm at an age now where lots of my friends are settling down to the norm/sedentary life so I want to meet new people who still have that wanderlust in their souls. As for me, I'm pretty easy to get along with. I love hardcore, punk, and heavy metal music a little bit of hip hop too. Graffiti and art in general is a huge passion of mine (I plan on documenting this trip on a super 8 camera. Outdoors stuff, hiking, camping, climbing.. literature, eastern philosophy, Just a knowledge junky in general. I smoke weed pretty regularly, I drink socially and sometimes have a few while chilling, but not a full blown party animal. Not a whiner, not a coward, can deal with shit situations and stay composed.

TL;DR: Trying to get from MA to the Bay area of California this summer (mostly oakland) up to Seattle, back east to Minneapolis, down to Chicago, and back east to MA. How long would an experienced train hopper estimate this trip would take? Also, if you're interested in meeting up, send me a PM!
I'm still pretty green, but this sounds very ambitious, there is a high chance that you will be lost, stranded in a cornfield, or taken the wrong way. This is not to discourage you, You should definitely do careful research, read the guide posted in the train hopping section, find someone experienced, be safe and have fun.

youlookguilty

Reaction score
"I'm still pretty green, but this sounds very ambitious, there is a high chance that you will be lost, stranded in a cornfield, or taken the wrong way. This is not to discourage you, You should definitely do careful research, read the guide posted in the train hopping section, find someone experienced, be safe and have fun."

Yeah, I totally understand that. I don't expect everything to go perfectly as planned. My only concern would be dealing with police and getting home in time. Not too picky on where I go exactly, although I really do want to make it to SF/Oakland. Maybe I'll just do a shorter route closer to home and just see where I wind up to get my feet wet with the experience of train hopping.

Sabredufoil

Reaction score
Sounds like you and I share the same goal. I've got another half a year to save up before I leave, but keep me posted on how things go for you. I find it extremely useful to learn from others, and from my understanding train hopping is much the same, so I would suggest trying to find someone experienced to teach you the ropes and to go on a short round trip before beginning such a long journey. Best of luck! I'm rooting for you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads