Wanderings and wonderings

The Hiker

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Got some peaceful time to sit out of the rain and write, so gather around my electronic campfire if you wish.

It's been 2 years and some change since I got out of the marines. Man, that was a nightmare, but I sure needed to go through it. Learned so much, mixed in with all the trauma and fear. Never saw combat thank god. The only enemies were my "brothers in arms".

Lived in a toolshed for a few months after I was out, restoring an old barn. Went on a vision quest in ca, then headed east to Montana for a month. What a place! So many mountains, so much beauty. Tanned a bison hide and made lots of friends with the other wannabe cave people at Green University. Went back to WA for a gathering, ended up chasing a girl for the rest of the year. Oops...

Worked landscaping all summer, learned that I can dig holes pretty good but can't build walls worth a damn, but it was fun work with a bunch of hooligans. Moved up north to what's now my least favorite part of WA, stevens county. Beautiful place but it's like the worst parts of Spokane crawled north into the mountains.

Got through almost the whole winter there before I had to run home (damn!). Nasty escaping horses, thieves, a chimney fire, cars not starting in 30 below zero, one gnarly car crash that I miraculously walked away from without a scratch! Driving to work on roads that were more like ice rinks, it sure felt like a lot.

Back in my hometown for a minute, then off to Montana for more primitive skills school. Carp hunting, bow making, wandering the tobacco root mountains, always learning more about people and myself. Summer flashed by, I only remember a blur - classes in Oregon and another vision quest, cutting firewood with friends, and long night drives.

Found a place in ca to winter at since I'm such a snowbird. A little work trade farm. I drive there thinking "hope this place isn't a cult". It wasn't... Until I told them I wanted to stay, then I almost drank the coolade! Pulled my head out of my ass just in time. Such a beautiful place though. Sierra mountains, getting to know the birds there, lots of good days and nights running the cliffs and hillsides.

Now I'm back "home" except if doesn't feel like home anymore, just a place where I know people. Getting ready for a big stone age adventure, preparing my gear, body, and heart.

I'm very glad this site is still up. Matt, and everyone else a met at the 2019 Jambo, that feels like at least 5 lifetimes ago. I miss you all and send blessings.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads