walking PCH / Highway 1 (1 Viewer)

kevin

Lurker
hello. I currently live in Long Beach, CA and am looking for cheap adventure. for awhile now I have been tossing around the idea of packing up my backpack with the essentials and hiking/walking up highway 1... my goal is to walk from long beach to oregon. and camp along the coast. any tips & advice on places to go or stay away from ? anything would be much appreciated.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Unslap

Hometown
East coast
I met a kid who was doing this from frisco to seattle, tho he ended up hitching some rides. I dont know why anyone would choose to walk on the road with cars coming around the corner and past you at 35 mph, especially when theres the pacific crest trail. But im a bit lazy. Food is expensive, at least north of san fran. And you will be eating tons if youre high all the time (which you should be :~]). Its beautiful though

P

Pheonix

I deleted myself
I've walked and hitched the PCH from Venice to Vandenberg Air Force Base where a really nice christian soldier picked me up, took me to where PCH and US 101 come back together and bought me a greyhound ticket to SF. I've walked and hitched down from SF to Big Sur where I was forced to turn back due to a mud slide south of Big Sur. I've also done it between SF and Humboult county where my hand with thumb out was hit by the side mirror of a car coming around a blind turn. In many parts of the PCH there is no shoulder at all, tons of blind turns, logging trucks in Mendocino county and once when I was walking down the PCH I seen a sign that said "one lane highway ahead" when I got to it there were orange cones marking where one of the lanes fell off into the ocean.

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
What happened to our choo choo ride with wedgies along the way?

Nice route to hitch. If I were to do it I'd walk/hitch from Santa Barbara. Hitching anywhere near LA is gonna sukk. Also, may want to consider using public trans to get to the north side of the bay area.

P

Pheonix

I deleted myself
What happened to our choo choo ride with wedgies along the way?

Nice route to hitch. If I were to do it I'd walk/hitch from Santa Barbara. Hitching anywhere near LA is gonna sukk. Also, may want to consider using public trans to get to the north side of the bay area.
I got a ride from some surfers to malibu but then walked to ventura tried walking out of ventura and got a ride from ventura county sheriffs to the santa barbera county line. I used to take Muni to Golden Gate Bridge and walked over and through Sausalito to where PCH and 101 split apart.

One more thing when the PCH and US 101 are together and the US 101 is a freeway then it is illegal to walk it and the CHP will fuck with you if they catch you.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
I was camping in big sur in maybe 2006, and met a few people who were doing this. Crazy people, but they seemed to make it fine. One couple on bikes that had started in alaska, and were going all the way to tierra del fuego. 1 guy who travelled for years, only by foot, and had a pet goat. And finally this crazy guy, who was barefoot, and the only thing he carried was a small refrigerator, strapped close with a belt, and slung over his shoulder. he was maybe in his 50s, and was walking north, from the mexican border. I have hitched this route a lot of times, but can imagine it being a really nice walk if you have the patience.

bryanpaul

Rambler
Hometown
eastern shore of Maryland
hwy 1/101 is awesome... ive hitched up and down between oregon and LA a bunch...lots of freindly stoner surfers and cool coastal surfer towns down south and epic redwood country up north....you wont regret it......and no offense but walking is fun and all, but it dont hurt to stick outcho thumb.......... beware of tweekers!....if you suspect somebody's all tweeked out run the other way......(my only issue with hitchin that route)

hello. I currently live in Long Beach, CA and am looking for cheap adventure. for awhile now I have been tossing around the idea of packing up my backpack with the essentials and hiking/walking up highway 1... my goal is to walk from long beach to oregon. and camp along the coast. any tips & advice on places to go or stay away from ? anything would be much appreciated.

Hey buddy im doing the same mabey we can do this as a team i live in simi valley and have routed this trip for a year to get ready message me back brother

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Hometown
171 Market St, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Best hitch I ever did was with a tweeker. Guy brought me from eureka to crescent city, gave me beer and good convo, all the while twacked out of his head. I don't judge, not even if yer a lil tweeked.

Sent from my iPhone using Squat the Planet Mobile

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $150.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

cold wet and managed to dodge NINE count em NINE kangaroos in twelve k ! listening to rodriguez "sugarman" thinking about aqualung
When all else fails, go ahead and rely on instinct
- animalistic is our most natural mode
Going nuts! Ehrenberg Arizona....😬
Hi everybody my name is Steve aka Miami Mike from the central coast of California ,more precisely Paso Robles/lake nacimento
Squat in Austin’s north loop! Seeking advice and squat mates as well as offering a place to crash and some company. We got booze and electric?
croc wrote on quad8's profile.
Yo, last night I rode my first autorack! Colton to Yermo in an automax n it was articulated, door open. Love those curved floors so u got a lil hidey wall to chill behind.
Thought of u as soon as we got on lol
Sick as a dog in Texas, once again..
Fuckin' shit
Moondoggy420fl wrote on Cici Carmella's profile.
Go to the gathering in Ocala and you’ll find a ride out of Florida easy as pie
I'm thinking about saving up a little travel money and do some casual freight hopping, it's been almost 3 years :(

Members online

No members online now.