Vanning With Orygun As My Home Base

hermitdan

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've been following this forum for about a year and thought it time to participate. Who knows, I might have something interesting to say once in awhile.
I became homeless a couple years ago in Salem Oregon but was able to live in a shelter for a year. I did still own my old work van and decided to fix it up to live in. It's pretty minimal (no insulation or paneling, no electrical or plumbing) but I'm quite comfortable in it. I hit the road a year ago and have been to several western states. I worked a few months doing construction and saved a few thousand for traveling this winter. My budget is $500 per month and I can usually make it on that.
A few people have said that I'm not really homeless because I have my van and a gym membership for showering as I travel. Labels don't matter anyway. I am grateful for what I do have in life and don't look up to the more fortunate or down on those who have less than me. I expect to spend the rest of my life living in a van. But if not, so be it.
I might meet some of you on the road. Otherwise I'll see you here. Happy travels!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:) Nice Intro - sounds like you are traveling wisely - good idea with the gym membership. And you are right, labels don't matter. Do you have any idea where you want to go see - hehe - the one thing I always wanted as a kid was to when I was older was to have an RV and just go live in the vehicle and travel (well that won't happen for me hehe) but you are able to get up and go and also have the ability to get some shops that fund the future travel and sustain. Aiming at an area? And quite cool that you've been here reviewing us this long and now participating - welcome aboard!

Reactions: hermitdan

hermitdan

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Tude. My family had a couple travel trailers and a couple motor homes, and it seemed they always needed work done on them. My van is so simple without having to worry about pipes or electrical wires. And everything I own is in the van so I can just drive off whenever I want without having to pack. Unless I earn more money, I don't think I'll leave the West. Gas costs too much. Unless I have a guaranteed job where I'm going to. Or someone else chips in for gas. There is enough to explore close by so I'm satisfied.

hermitdan

Reaction score
Thanks LoS. I've never researched courier work but will now. My van is older and only gets about 16 mpg, so I'm not sure it is an option.
I tried sharing trip costs with friends and it didn't work out so good. It would likely be even worse with strangers. I had a couple CL riders lined up at different times and both flaked out on me. But it is still an option.

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right about rideshares, more often than not that's what happens. Glad I could point you towards something potentially useful though!

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome to S.T.P. I here Oregon is a beautiful state I am slowly but surely headed that way but for right now I am in Montana.

hermitdan

Reaction score
Eastern Oregon is dry and sunny, but gets both colder and hotter. The western side is much wetter except July-Sept. But I love all of Oregon; the desert, mountains, coast, forests, cities. We have it all. Except tropical weather. I'll probably always come back to Oregon as my base.

Reactions: Freerange

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads