Twilight of the Hobo

movingpictureTV

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Me and a mate travelled to the US last year to make a documentary on the changing face of the hobo.
We met with a bunch of rail riders in both Seattle and Iowa.
The production is going well but I'm keen to get some more footage taken on the rails.
Please do get in touch if you can help - you'll get a credit on the film, which if successful could lead to a feature film. Then I'll be wanting to film you talking about your experiences!
Anyway, I've put a few posts/clips on my site if you're interested: http://www.movingpicturetv.com/
Cheers, @movingpictureTV

joaquim33

Banned
Reaction score
jesus christ get out of here. you should be making dan osheas idiotic book into a motion picture instead of making a stupid fake documentary about hobos with people like brave dave.

give me a break:
"hobocore describes a person who chooses to ride freight trains, squat, travel and stay politically minded, while making sure to drink every day. Is usually an ex dope-fiend and generally from the Midwest, though not usually found there. Dreadlocks, facial tattoos, haggard patch-pants and prison time are common, though not required. Hobocore kids are often self-proclaimed anarchists, though usually banned from the local anarchist hangouts. Hobocore music is “anarcho-crusty-folk-rap”"

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
Hah
jesus christ get out of here. you should be making dan osheas idiotic book into a motion picture instead of making a stupid fake documentary about hobos with people like brave dave.
Haha - yes, Dave gets a lot of grief. You'll see from the write up that Dave's talking from the POV of somebody that wanted to experience the rush of riding the rails. He's the first to admit he's not a hobo. He does pretty crazy things here in the UK too!

K

Kim Chee

I met with a journalist who wrote for the NY times. When we met, he was clueless as to what I looked like even after sending him a picture. The initial shock he displayed on his face when he first saw me was fucking priceless. I had to call out to him as he was leaving the building (I did not have a picture of his face, I just "figured it out"). Anyway, I did not provide an interview and am so far unimpressed by the press. I hope you are much more on your game.

joaquim33

Banned
Reaction score
dan oshea is an idiot as well. if you are going to people like him because 'research is paramount', that gives me an inkling that your movie is going to be crap. im sorry if im coming across as a jerk, but your movie has already been made.. ever seen 'train on the brain'? british film maker goes to britt iowa, profiles train riders... but at least she rode trains.

joaquim33

Banned
Reaction score
Hah
Haha - yes, Dave gets a lot of grief. You'll see from the write up that Dave's talking from the POV of somebody that wanted to experience the rush of riding the rails. He's the first to admit he's not a hobo. He does pretty crazy things here in the UK too!

so why would you include his commentary in a movie about hobos?
he doesnt do crazy things. he does stupid things. i know people who do crazy things, because they are crazy. they dont do it to show off. he seems like a very boring and very sane person who is doing dangerous things for the sake of trying to impress people.
for instance, i use a chainsaw for a living, right ?
if someone made a movie on youtube showing himself recklessly using a chainsaw for the first time, digging the tip of the blade into stumps and posturing as he almost suffers death from a kickback, i wouldnt call them brave, i'd call them a fool. and i wouldnt put them in a documentary about loggers and call it "twilight of the loggers."

Reactions: Raging Bird

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i've never heard of this book or whatever but the name "twilight of the hobos" seems kind of strange to me.... i mean of course there's nowhere near as many people riding the rails today as there was in the early days of trains and the depression and maybe even the 80's and 90's ....but it doesnt seem like an activity that is dying out or on the decline......every city you roll into there's a good chance of running into kids....any
mainline catchout spot there's a good chance of seeing folks.......that title makes it seem like there's a few hardcore torch bearers who represent the last of a dying breed.....i'm always amazed at how YOUNG alot of kids you meet out there are.....for every guy like me who gets off the road....there's 3 more just getting into it............good luck i guess......get in with the right folks and do it right!......and yeah, "brave dave" is a KOOK.......(skateboarders equivelent of oogle)

bryanpaul

Reaction score
"hobocore describes a person who chooses to ride freight trains, squat, travel and stay politically minded, while making sure to drink every day. Is usually an ex dope-fiend and generally from the Midwest, though not usually found there. Dreadlocks, facial tattoos, haggard patch-pants and prison time are common, though not required. Hobocore kids are often self-proclaimed anarchists, though usually banned from the local anarchist hangouts. Hobocore music is “anarcho-crusty-folk-rap”"
HA!......that's classic! icon_bangdesk

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
give me a break:

yeah, i think that definition is somewhat offensive, and very inaccurate. kinda shows off the ignorance of the 'documentarian' making a movie about something he hasn't researched very well at all.

and what the hell is "anarcho-crusty-folk-rap"?

bryanpaul

Reaction score

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
I met with a journalist who wrote for the NY times. When we met, he was clueless as to what I looked like even after sending him a picture. The initial shock he displayed on his face when he first saw me was fucking priceless. I had to call out to him as he was leaving the building (I did not have a picture of his face, I just "figured it out"). Anyway, I did not provide an interview and am so far unimpressed by the press. I hope you are much more on your game.
I'll certainly try.

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
dan oshea is an idiot as well. if you are going to people like him because 'research is paramount', that gives me an inkling that your movie is going to be crap. im sorry if im coming across as a jerk, but your movie has already been made.. ever seen 'train on the brain'? british film maker goes to britt iowa, profiles train riders... but at least she rode trains.
It's good to talk to a yard bull to get the other side of the story.
Joe who presents the piece rode trains all the way to Britt for the convention - and continues to ride this Summer too.

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
so why would you include his commentary in a movie about hobos?
he doesnt do crazy things. he does stupid things. i know people who do crazy things, because they are crazy. they dont do it to show off. he seems like a very boring and very sane person who is doing dangerous things for the sake of trying to impress people.
for instance, i use a chainsaw for a living, right ?
if someone made a movie on youtube showing himself recklessly using a chainsaw for the first time, digging the tip of the blade into stumps and posturing as he almost suffers death from a kickback, i wouldnt call them brave, i'd call them a fool. and i wouldnt put them in a documentary about loggers and call it "twilight of the loggers."
He's an example of someone who wanted to ride purely for the thrill. And he will be talking about why he's NOT a hobo.
Here's an idea. Wait until the film is edited, then slag it off all you like.

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
i've never heard of this book or whatever but the name "twilight of the hobos" seems kind of strange to me.... i mean of course there's nowhere near as many people riding the rails today as there was in the early days of trains and the depression and maybe even the 80's and 90's ....but it doesnt seem like an activity that is dying out or on the decline......every city you roll into there's a good chance of running into kids....any
mainline catchout spot there's a good chance of seeing folks.......that title makes it seem like there's a few hardcore torch bearers who represent the last of a dying breed.....i'm always amazed at how YOUNG alot of kids you meet out there are.....for every guy like me who gets off the road....there's 3 more just getting into it............good luck i guess......get in with the right folks and do it right!......and yeah, "brave dave" is a KOOK.......(skateboarders equivelent of oogle)
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I hope when the edits done it'll make more sense - metaphorically. If it doesn't we'll change the title. Thanks for the feedback

movingpictureTV

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, i think that definition is somewhat offensive, and very inaccurate. kinda shows off the ignorance of the 'documentarian' making a movie about something he hasn't researched very well at all.

and what the hell is "anarcho-crusty-folk-rap"?
Actually if you read the page, you'll see that's actually a quote from The Urban Dictionary... not me

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Actually if you read the page, you'll see that's actually a quote from The Urban Dictionary... not me

yes, i realize that, but with your crappy web design and broken english, pretty much ANYONE would mistake it for your own quote.

BESIDES, you're a fucking DOCUMENTARIAN. or supposed to be anyways. why are you taking quotes from the urban dictionary? it's hardly a source of irrefutable facts.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads