Treating fentanyl OD | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Treating fentanyl OD

D

Deleted member 21429

Kratom is my goto trying to help recovering/suffering addicts. Different strains of it though. White wakes me up and red knocks me out. Green is in the middle. It is not new though, Thialand banned it in the 40s because it was eating into the opium trade. ~ peace

sub lumpen filth

Reaction score
Lots of needle exchanges also have narcan that they give out with a small tutorial. Every needle exchange in S.F. does this. I recommend the one of 6th and market, though the area is a little sketch, its not too bad. I would never take a shot without having this on deck (when I was using). Ive prolly seen 50+ people OD in SF and narcan saved every single one of them (including myself).

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Narcan (only brand FDA approved for over the counter sales) - or - Naloxone (generic name) FACTS:

1. Narcan IS available, WITHOUT prescription in 47 states. Just ask at the pharmacy.

2. Narcan is Available, IN STOCK, at all : CVS Pharmacy Locations -and- Walgreens Pharmacy Locations. Not just at needle exchanges, anymore.

3. Narcan can safely* & effectively counter an Opioid** Overdose, including those containing Fentanyl.

4. You still HAVE to call 911 - (best done immediately when discovering an o.d.) Even using Narcan, they may still die! So It's better to have those medics on the way!

5. Countering Opioid Overdoses with Narcan may require (even administered correctly) additional doses of Narcan be given, for antidote to be fully effective. (particularly with Fentanyl)

6. You Need To Stay With The Victim, until medical services arrive. (You did call 911, Right?) You stay because a second dose (maybe even a third) of Narcan might have to be administered. Possible medical complications may occur and can including: Going into Withdrawals; Stopping Breathing; Having a Heart Attack or Stroke; Seizures; or a variety of issues, which otherwise necessitate continuing availability of assistance.

7. Most states (over half) which permit non-prescription Naloxone/Norcan, DO have a Good Samaritan law, preventing liability for the first responders administering Norcan/Naloxone to overdose cases.

* Safely- first, All drugs have side effects. second, a small portion of the population, Naloxone/Norcan is more deadly to than the overdose. (I personally have a gf who's one of those lucky few. She flat lines every time the paramedics give it to her.) But, for the most part, yes, it is Safe.

** Opiate overdoses - Cocaine is Not an Opiate. (neither is meth, or molly, or special K, etc.) Norcan has a less stellar record saving lives when Fentanyl is mixed with non-opioids.

(source-) https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/02/02/fentanyl-overdose-dont-count-naloxone-save-you-10822

Prices, aprox.

Naloxone full kit, can cost as low as $30

Norcan kit, regular price $130.00

No Insurance? - CVS has partnered with manufacturer, for a manufacturer's coupon, making the kit available to the uninsured for $95.00

(Source-): http//thehill.com/policy/healthcare/medical-devices-and-prescription-drug-policy/381810-cvs-health-to-offer-discount

Propaganda:

Naloxone - Save a life with naloxone.

CVS Health® is dedicated to helping communities address and prevent prescription drug abuse.

Naloxone, also known as NARCAN®, is a safe* and effective antidote to opioid overdoses. CVS Health has worked to expand the access to naloxone, without individual prescriptions, to 47 states. (Excludes: Alaska, Nebraska, & Wyoming, at this time)

CVS Pharmacy® locations in most communities have naloxone ON HAND and can dispense it the same day.

If you would like to purchase naloxone, simply ask the pharmacy.

(source-) https//www.cvs.com/content/prescription-drug-abuse/save-a-life

Attachments

• naloxone-fact-sheet.pdf
    223 KB · Views: 385

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I dont see why it wouldnt be legal, since it's prescription-free, and I dont think you can get high off it. From what I understand, it just breaks down opiates to shorten/soften you trip, saving from an OD

I just want to say that your understanding of how nalaxone is inaccurate. Nalaxone works by knocking the synthetic opiates off your opiate receptors and preventing them from rebinding for ~90 minutes.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Opiates will stay in your body for longer the 90 minutes. It’s possible to re-overdose after a nalaxone rescue. Always go to a hospital in an OD case.

Last edited:

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Also a useful adendum to the above post (which is very imformative)

When calling 9/11 do not mention drug overdose as a possible cause. Unfortunetly the drug war has instilled a very nasty prejudice against drug users. When I was doing harm reduction I LITERALLY SAW this difference sometimes increase response time and quality of care.
In one instance someone had time, from the 9/11 call, to run 1.5 miles down the street, find me(I had nalaxone) we ran back, took care of people, and sat with them for 10 FUCKING MINUTES before an paramedic sargeant (not an ambulance) casually walked up too ask if things were good. This went down a two minute drive from the nearest hospital. -_-

Simply say your friend collapsed and isnt breathing, or you found someone not breathing. Tell the responders when they arrive what they need to know.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads