Travelling for the first time alone.

elmundofrio

Reaction score
I don't mean that I'm travelling alone for the first time, I mean that I'm travelling for the first time AND I'm doing it alone. Got all my gear, maps, etc. but I can't find anyone who wants to go with. I don't personally know anyone who's down with the lifestyle and everything on here has been a bust as far as finding a travel buddy is concerned, so I've decided to just go solo. I'm posting this thread to gain some advice from those that have experienced a similar situation. Any type of tip would be helpful - especially those geared towards my situation. Just trying to gain some knowledge from more experienced people. Thanks.

smellsea

Reaction score
show up into a big sized town that's in season right now, don't act like a douche, and you'll do much better at meeting some one that wants to travel with you then you ever will off this website. plus, i've meet people off this site before, eh.

FolkYouDad

Reaction score
Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about being alone, just do your thing for now. The right people will come to you at somepoint. Waiting for a semi decent connection is way better than forcing one over the internet.

Reactions: viktor and smellsea

Sharkbite

Reaction score
I'm with mach as soon as school is over I'm hitting the road... Alone. Hopefully ill find someone on here. Richmond is a popular stop so I will meet up with someone hopefully.

Reactions: Nugrow Wilson

hshh

Reaction score
just go do it. youll meet people. i think traveling solo for your first time traveling is a good thing as long as your prepared... and if your not, youll find out what you need and what you dont pretty quick. its good to not rely on NEEDing someone to travel with.

Nugrow Wilson

Reaction score
Hey I'm heading west on freight in a couple of weeks or so, if your interested I'm always down for company. Do you play any musical instruments? I'm catching out of Richmond VA. So not too far from you if you wanna talk sometime message me..

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
This echoes what most everyone else is saying, but don't underestimate the gift of solitude.

A litle bit if everything will do good, im also searching for someone to travel with, i have found people who think alike but not in the same age and with the same disposable time as me, guess il have to start alone

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Yep im going down the same route.I'll be heading out on the 14th.I have a few people who should meet me up.But im not holding my breath on anyone keeping there word lol.

Traveling solo will cut down on the drama and bullshit.Least i think it will.But i expect to spend most of the days walking and maybe getting a ride here and there.Its to be expected that i will spend more time walking then getting rides i suppose.

Should be one hell of a ride though.

D

Deleted member 2626

yeah bl3wbyyou if the weather is nice and not real hot walking is better. wayyyyy less bull shit and getting noticed and messed with

absurdtoast

Reaction score
Same boat as everyone else...heading out first time, alone bout June 15th...gettin gear and maps ready, quitting job. There is a healthy mix of fear and excitement. Good luck everyone and hopefully see ya on the road!

smellsea

Reaction score
bl3wbyyou, if you are by yourself you're way more likely to get picked up and not get hasseled by the cops. when it's a group of people it's a big shit show and the yuppies don't like it. they call the cops on people for the smallest shit, having dogs, having a girl with you, i've even had the ambulance show up and say some one calls and says there's some one lying in the middle of the rode like they have just been hit. when i'm by myself usually no one calls the cops on me, and i get to my destination much faster.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
bl3wbyyou, if you are by yourself you're way more likely to get picked up and not get hasseled by the cops. when it's a group of people it's a big shit show and the yuppies don't like it. they call the cops on people for the smallest shit, having dogs, having a girl with you, i've even had the ambulance show up and say some one calls and says there's some one lying in the middle of the rode like they have just been hit. when i'm by myself usually no one calls the cops on me, and i get to my destination much faster.

Hah i been told by numerous homebums on my train trip that traveling solo will get me less pick ups.But will also heavily reduce the bullshit and drama.I been told that having a girl with me would drastically increase our chances of getting picked up.If i was driving by i wouldn't pick myself up.Haha.But the old group i was with covered 300 miles in 2 days with 3 people and 3 damn dogs lol.2 girls and one guy.So i dunno what the hell to think now.And yeah i figure the pigs won't mess with me at all to begin with i seem to get along with them just fine.Long as there respectful then i am respectful back to them.Pretty simple.

I sure as hell know i don't stick out as badly as the rest of these 'punkrox' kiddies that i was traveling with.Therefore i would think i would get picked up more and maybe get kick downs better then they would.As i am your average joe looking type of guy and have no tats or anything like that.Should work to my advantage i would think.Maybe the yuppies will feel sorry and look at me as if i could be one of there own little demonic children out on the street lol.I know for damn sure ill be avoiding ghetto's as much as possible since ill be sticking to the hwys as well.And if i come across a rough area ill book it thru that place overnight and sleep during the day somewhere out of the way of said ghetto's.

Who knows for sure.But i know im in for one hell of a ride haha.And less dangers/ghettos then train hopping.So it sounds like a win win in my book.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads