traveling with crohn's | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

traveling with crohn's

PAN AM HOBO

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
wait, you're in the north east by a river trying to cool down ??
Where ??

only advice is what a shared - and that was of a man who suffered greatly with Crohns even by following the rules 100% of the time.

Big (((((hugs))))) and good luck in this humidity !!
As much as I love the summer, I can't wait for winter.
was just in Rumney N.H at a festival but had to leave early due to Crohn's flare .
Currently in Boston MA makin my way back to mothers apt where I store extra equipment and gear.I don't have a apt yet waiting for the person to leave but its $550 1 bedroom free hot water. oil heat I don't plan on using due to cost of oil.

D

Deleted member 13433

yeah well keep in mind no heat = broken water pipes...... but that's your call.
Yeah, good luck trying to travel with that Crohns.... that is one hell of a cross to bear.

PAN AM HOBO

Banned
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Herbs beneficial for Crohn's disease
Licorice standard and Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL). DGL is used for conditions of the digestive tract and ulcers. many people can take 5-6grams of ordinary licorice a day.
Licorice should not be taken for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.There are many cautions with licorice research before use also people with hypothyroidism do not take licorice.it can also cause fluid retention, high blood pressure, potassium loss,also people with heart disease should avoid.
Fennel seeds: for vomiting and abdominal pain.
Ginger, wild ginger: vomiting/nausea
Marijuana: I find to be very helpful with Crohn's disease as it can treat inflammation and pain however I would suggest to not smoke and rather ingest chop up, grind marijuana and add into food CBN and CBC a chemical in marijuana that is not psychoactive has many potentials as it stops inflammation and pain.Hash oil is what I use along with extracted CBN oil. Three to four drops only on oil as it is very strong some people can only handle oneor two drop as its 25 MG honey hash oil.The CB2 receptor or Cannabinoid receptor type 2 seems the most promising as cb2 is foun throughout the digestive system where it regulates the intestinal inflammatory response this looks promising for crohns disease and ulcerative colitis and really needs more reasearsh just my opinion.
Marshmallow root make into a powder 3tsp in one cup of cold water 3 Tim's daily
Sippery elm bark: make into a powder 1 tsp in 1/4 cup of hot water.
Peppermint tea, oil,leaf:make int a tea,eat leaves or get a oil tincture: stops muscle spasms and stimulats the release of bile
Lemon balm: relieves gastrointestinal symptoms and spasms.
Rosemary: can help with cramps and spasms.
Turmeric: should not be used because it can cause stomach disstress other caution's with this as well

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Yea that's why I was thinking oregon grape root because it has similar effects as echanacea but it doesn't trigger the immune response that echanecea does which can cause flares.

PAN AM HOBO

Banned
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
When I lived On the farm I had many types of herbs Alot were heirloom or clones of a heirloom and region specific herbs
Really kicking myself in the ass for not collecting seed.
I am hoping to try a spot in the state forest
Where they just logged last year plenty of logs around to build raised gardens and fencing good top soil is available due to some of it being old pasture/farmland

Gonx

Reaction score
Glad to hear there are some folks on here traveling with crohns!
Sounds like you all have found similar methods of taking care of yourself but I wanted to share a few things from my experience

A diet rich in fresh veggies seems to help keep the disease in check when i've achieved remission. If I had the self control I would go full pescetarian. When I'm flaring though I definitely try to restrict myself to cooked/dried fruits & veggies.
+1 for apple cider vinegar/lemon juice--both seem to help me out a lot--personally I think its best to dilute it in some water

Do some research on prebiotics too. I remember reading recent research suggesting prebiotics are way more beneficial than probiotics, because your stomach acid kills damn near all the healthy bacteria by the time it reaches your small intestine. I'd like to point particular attention to garlic as someone else mentioned. Tastes nasty raw but I think it does wonders. When I have access to everything, I like to make a tea with garlic, ginger, lemongrass, honey. Dont think I've ever added mint in that mix but mint tea does wonders for me as well.
Chicory root is also a prebiotic, its a faaaaantastic substitute for coffee since all that caffeine will fuck you up!

--If you can find a quality frankincense/boswellia serrata extract, I think it's pretty fantastic. My crohns was acting up and I used some of the extract my sister has to make soap with, and I swear it healed me up quick.
https://www.newdirectionsaromatics....-oils/frankincense-organic-essential-oil.html
heres a study suggesting boswellia serrata works BETTER than a commonly prescribed crohns medication in brittain
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11215357
I never could find the specific "H15" extract they speak of in the study. If you find a source please let me know!

with this and with all herbal remedies, be careful of the source and fidelity of the supplement you're buying. My understanding is not all of them are absorbed properly if they don't do a good job extracting the medicinal and most of the time powdered/capsuled forms don't absorb nearly as well as liquid forms.

Do some research into L-Glutamine as well, I haven't had a chance to try it for an extended period but it seems to do me well and I've heard a lot of people sing to hell and high water about how great it is for crohns (and the added benefit of it being good for depression for me too).

I tried a slippery elm powder for a while--I dont think it helped me much, but then again, it probably wasn't the best quality stuff

--hope you all stay healthy, cheers--

p.s. anyone have any tips on getting your prescription meds when traveling in different countries?
I'd like to find a way to get my humira in South America somehow but I imagine its damn near impossible with cross-country prescriptions/insurance coverage since that shit is so damn expensive to begin with...

Last edited:
Reactions: lone wolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads