Traveling and being Vegetarian

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

I've been vegan for over four years, and although eating while traveling can be hard sometimes, it's my choice and I am glad that I do it. Food not bombs and krishna dinners are two huge resources, you should check them out.

Kay, it sounds to me like Immflamatory Bowel Disease. Your stomach is a really delicate thing, I would suggest going to a hospital.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hmmm... what does a normal day-to-day diet consist of for you? are you eating enough fresh fruits and greens? if you're really interested in going vegan, you should check out the 80/10/10 diet altho its very very dard to do on a limited budget while traveling. where were you when you were raw foods CARDOARD? i'm curious. i would say sure....go to the doctor, but most doctors i've been to are going to give you information that they know from being raised in a society that promotes the (SAD) standard american diet. so you're not gonna get the best advice for going vegan. I've read some bad things about wheat products/grains - from a raw foods perspective, i'll try and find you some more info on that later. . . Have you thought of - while you have a good place to do it - doing a juice fast/water fast and then slowly incorporating easily digestable fruits/veggies/greens and noticing what works for your body and what doesn't?

E

Earth

Been vegetarian since 1990 or so, and never looked back. Working on vegan, but that's very hard to do because it's a total way of life too - meaning no leather goods etc.... which is something I've been trying to put into practice whenever possible. Love the fact that my options are easy when it comes to eating, even what grows along highways is fair game. Dandiline wine anyone??

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Hey all. I have an issue that I would like some advice on, but don't feel it warrants a new thread..
So I have been traveling on and off for a few years. I adopted a vegan diet for idealistic and health reasons ( I like the critters, and i'm mega lactose-intolerant, and it was a way out of being force-fed antidepressant medication, long story) in my early teenage years. Since then, I have sustained myself on food stamps and income but primarily dumpstering. Of course eatin' out of the trash can present some issues for vegetarians and even more so to vegans, but I have always had omnivorous pals around to feed and often use of a kitchen to wash and cook grub. Employing a little creativity and knowledge, eating vegan out of the trash has become relatively easy. In the past few years I have began occasionally eating fish and eggs but still don't mess with mammal products. I have never turned up my nose at 'non vegan' alcohol and while traveling I will eat foods containing some dairy product, cause really, two days on a train without any food besides a bag of fritos mocking me is my breaking point.

THIS ALL SAID- in the last year I have developed some extremely weird chronic gastrointestinal problems (bloody stool, constant bloating/cramps/gas/ Diarrhea) that seem to persist regardless of what I'm putting in my body, and its been a year... I have a sibling who is gluten-intolerant, and after years of her pushing me to consider it (IE NO BEER, at least nothing inexpensive and easily obtainable), I'm avoiding gluten for a few weeks to see whats really good. So far my mystery symptoms seem better?
SO- I'm going to be back on the road/trains/living off gas station grub and the odd supermarket run in a few weeks and need advice on how to survive without Dairy or Gluten (anything containing wheat rye barley etc etc). thoughts?
lots of fucking rice and beans man....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads