Travel Cat | Squat the Planet

Travel Cat

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
Firstly, she is very smart, very loyal and very loving. I saved her, so she kind of gave her heart to me. She knows what no means and responds appropriately unless she is trying to make me chase her and practice her badassery. She is sterile so she is outside all day every day if she wants to be, but is not technically an outside cat. She doesn't do drugs which is cool (my last cat would find ways to get high on something even I wasn't touching, somehow, I don't know how he did it, but the little stray was a trippy hippy by the time he would get home) but she is pretty so some concerns about safety.

She is good with other animals so long as they aren't twatwaffles, and other people so long as I trust them and let them close to me.

With that being said, I made an oath to take care of her and I will not ever abandon my furry comrades, so I am getting her furry little ass a harness.

But I didn't even like cats that much until I had one thrust into my care, and I sure as hell haven't ever traveled with one.

So any possible advice on how to go about that would be dope.

I feed her leftover pizza on occasion and she is addicted to pumpkin cupcakes, because why not. But she earned those rights (in other words she would find a way regardless so I made a deal with her and she listened). So diet isn't that big of a concern, cat food isn't impossible to come by cheaply.

note (she does not live off of pizza and cupcakes, not even I am that lucky)

Last edited:
Reactions: todd
D

Deleted member 125

cats dont make good travel animals period. they just arnt wired to behave on the road. id say yer cat is going to try to run away the first chance she gets. but good luck.

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
You dont know my cat lol

todd

Reaction score
I don't see why a cat wouldn't be a good travel companion. And who the hell wouldn't LOVE pumpkin cupcakes?

D

Deleted member 125

yer right i dont know the cat. i hope you dont lose yer cat.

@todd cats arnt like dogs they dont train easily and tend to be flighty, thats just how most cats are. if OP has a magical trained cat then right on, but in my experience cats dont last long with their owners while on the road. i guess if yer rubber tramping maybe because the cat would always be in the car/van/whatever. but hitch hiking or hopping trains that cat is gonna be miserable/run away first chance it gets.

like i said though, if you have a magical trained cat then thats awesome. but otherwise buckle up for heartbreak =/

todd

Reaction score
I've had many cats both indoors and outdoors.. some independent some very needy and social. yes they are not as easily trained to be submissive as dogs.. but dogs aren't nearly as trainable as pigs. (just saying id love a road pig)

Reactions: ChezaRose

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
Well I'll be prepared but she is a little bit trained, I mean she doesn't know how to do tricks but she knows "get down" and "no" and she knows her name well and I can call her from the neighbors house when she's sitting out there. And I don't do trains, and she'd be on a harness when not in a safe place to roam so hopefully that helps.

D

Deleted member 125

thats cool. not trying to get into a debate with you, just throwing out my advice on travelling with a cat. hope everything turns out good.

S

spectacular

They love fresh red meat.... they tend to like being in one area so they can live to their fullest. If I came across the chance to adopt a travel cat I might but would also consider adopting it out to someone with a yard and a place so it could roam and have a place to go back to. Cats are more feminine than macho which makes them a little more fragile and less adaptable to constant outdoor human style travels than dogs. Like dogs they're also highly social but in a different way. They hate leashes and I hate to see cats always on one, very stunted way of life for the feline but sadly necessary if on the road.

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
I can't get rid of her, it would break her and quite frankly it would break me too, she isn't my pet she is my comrade and we are on equal footing. She really doesn't leave my side if she isn't out playing with her lovers, she fallows me to the bathroom, around the house, lays on me every night I mean it would be devastating. I did something similar with my horse, and no way would I ever make that mistake again. So abandoning her just isn't an option.

If she CHOSE to go somewhere else, then that is fine. But that is not the case as it stands. And yes she has the ability to make choices regarding her well being. Other species are extremely easy to communicate with and understand if you just don't think of yourself as a higher creature.

S

spectacular

Other species are extremely easy to communicate with and understand if you just don't think of yourself as a higher creature.
It's not that I think of myself as a higher creature, just as creature surrounded by others of my own species with whom I can interact with freely, the ability to find food without significant discomfort or threat to my life, and the freedom to roam around for the most part without someone calling animal control on me and getting me gassed if a human being doesn't pick me up at the shelter. All things your kitty cannot take for granted.

As hard as it is for people to hear, the minute a creature becomes a recipient of a human being's care, equal footing goes out the window since it is now unable to provide for itself, one of the basic qualifications for equal footing.

When a person doesn't want to acknowledge this, the burden of interpersonal reality falls on the animal (often in the form of delusive over-interaction on the behalf of the human being which does not make up for interaction with others of either the human or animals same species) and it's a very common and sad sight to see.

Last edited:

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
She feeds herself when she feels like it, that's all she does, she goes out, she hunts and steals food from neighbors, fucks, comes back sleeps and cuddles. And she comes before me, one way or another and I'm not abandoning my cat it just isn't going to happen, if it turns out that she is actually better off being miserable at someone elses house with people she will not bond with (keep in mind I saved her from death when she was 6 weeks, and she has been at my side very literally almost constantly since and she is going on two years now), then fine. But until that happens, she is coming with me.

This city is self righteous as fuck and hell in high water if I am gonna give her out to some uppity twat oil slicking her surf abs to impress the dudebros. She'd commit kitty suicide after living in a dirty kid house with 9 people a child five dogs and 4-9 other cats all also raised by dirty kids.

One of the kittens we got rid of is a travel cat and is pretty, healthy and doing just fine so I'm gonna go with my luck and heart here and just not be a shit person and take care of my cat in the same way I would if she was my child.

Reactions: Zbart1108 and todd

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
If she isnt and it isnt working then I will figure something out for her.

Reactions: Dunedrifter

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
Thank you Elk creature. For this reply and for princess mononoke.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
On another group I admin at there are a couple people who successfully travel with their cats. (there are more but I do not know them personally - just see their pics) One is rubber tramping, the other hitchhiking/train hop. And there have been a couple unsuccessful attempts at traveling with cat when cat got out/disappeared / got off leash etc.

I'd say keep aware of her at all times - you say you let her off harness/leash to go eat and do her thing and she comes back. hope she continues this.

Dunno - I don't travel (well I do, but I also have a residence) but take in travelers as a couch surfing friendly person and I have 3 indoor cats who would freak if they went outside - we were going to try and train big siamese to leash but that did not go well (started too late) and I feed my two hobo cats outside and they roam but know me as a feeding/friendly station (plus I built a house for them).

So it sounds like this furry friend is part of your life - I love my furry friends - so just be careful with her and know where she is - and good luck!

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Hey Tude, any chance I can get pointed in the direction of those who successfully travel with a cat? I've got a 6 month old kitten I'm tryna take with me on the road next year and I want as much experienced travel cat advice as I can get before I risk it. Currently working on training him now

LeeenPocket

Reaction score
Train her to travel on your shoulder. That's the best place for a traveling cat. In a strange place, she may not be able to navigate back to where you are if she doesn't mark shit. So let her scratch and rub everything. Definitely don't skimp on the training. Buy/lift a clicker. They're small key chains. Then do some research on clicker and pointer training. The pointer is invaluable as well. If you don't want to carry an actual pointer object like me, just use the tip of your finger. Get a note from a doctor saying your cat is beneficial to your emotional health. That's as far as I went because I'm under the assumption that's all you need, but I know others who have gone the extra mile and paid to register as an Emotional Support Animal. Not as many benefits as a "service animal" but a lot of people don't know the difference.

Reactions: DeadTreeMississippi

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads